Will somebody suggest a good fantasy series?

The early work of David Gemmell (not the later)

Early work has good ideas, strong characters, and I heard the story behind the writing of his first book Legend: Apparently, the author was faced with his own mortality (I think it was a cancer scare) and whilst waiting for the results, his wife suggested he write "that book he always talked of writing". So he sits down and writes Legend, about the impenetrable seven walled fortress of Dros Delnoch, staffed by ten thousand (I think) men, facing a barbarian horde of half a million, whose only salvation lies in a coward who must face his fear, and an ageing warrior who is told by death "live out your life in this mountain shack and I will grant you more years of loneliness, but travel to aid the defenders of Dros Delnoch and you will find me on the walls..."

So the author pours all his hopes and fears of his own possible death into the characters facing their certain demise at the walls. Their regret for the lives they will never lead, the wishes for the girls they will never marry, the living, the wounded, the dying and the dead- he tells you about them all.

The fears of the characters that spring off the page were his fears, their hopes were his hopes.

All ends well for the author because he lived, the cancer scare was I believe unfounded, and wrote many more novels only to sadly die years later.

His early work was solid, though I found his later stories prone to repetition of plot. However, seek out the series Legend / King beyond the Gate / Waylander, and the Jon Shannow series of particular note.

Of course, all the above could be untrue if the source who told me was equally untrue, so I'm quoting the story the way I first heard it, so no offence to anyone who can disprove this.

Seek them out if you don't know them, and good reading!

Might I put in my twopennorth for Jasper Fforde's 'Last Dragonslayer' novels The last Dragonslayer and Song of the Quarkbeast.

I recommend that you read these "pure" fantasy series:

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
The Saga of Recluce by by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
The Black Company by Glen Cook
The Shadowmarch Series by Tad Williams
The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker
The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist

Even thou A Song of Ice and Fire is great series, I'm not a great fan of it, and Lord of The Rings was read by everyone.

And Harry Poter, The Dresden Files, Anita Blake or any other urban fantasy, don't fit in my understanding of what the "pure" fantasy should be.. I love them even so .

I would highly recommend "The Forest of Hands and Teeth" series by Carrie Ryan. Excellent Zombie books, not too gory for the teens, but a fascinating tale! I just read that they will be making a movie of it, which is great!

Hi everyone, I'm new here as of today

I would like to suggest:

The Inheritance Cycle (one of my all-time favorites) - Christopher Paolini -dragons, magic, many different races of beings, battles/wars, swords (who could go wrong?)

Poison Study, Magic Study, Fire Study - Maria V. Snyder

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

Drenai Saga by David Gemmell

Waylander
In the Realm of the Wolf
Hero in the Shadows
First Chronicles of Druss the Legend
Legend of Deathwalker
White Wolf
Legend
King Beyond the Gate
Quest for Lost Heroes
Winter Warriors
The Swords of Night and Day

The original Dragonlance trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Dragons of Winter Night
Dragons of Spring Dawning

Icewindale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore

The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
Halfling's Gem

I'd go with most of the popular ones:
Hunger Games
Harry Potter
Divergent trilogy

Others I really liked were:
The Nicolas Flamel series
The House of Night
Inkheart
Witches of Eileanan (most people have never heard of this, but was the first fantasy series I read and I really liked it at the time)

PENDRAGON! Has to be one of the best Fantasy adventure series I have ever laid eyes on. If you havent read it, read it!!

For your consideration, I submit:

Throne of Glass.

The fourth book, Queen of Shadows, is out in September, but be sure to start with the Novella prequel omnibus, The Assassin's Blade. So, so good...