Mozart

Discussion in 'Music' started by Allegra, Dec 15, 2006.

Allegra

Allegra New Member

Please forgive me if there is already a thread of Mozart. Just thought this year is his 250 anniversary, may be we should have a thread to dedicate to this great genius. My favorite Mozart are his later symphonies, almost all his piano concertos, and Figaro. I went Salzberg for a pilgrim trip last summer and saw his strand of golden hair, his childhood violin and concert violin, his piano, etc. It's surreal.
    Joel007

Joel007 Shiny! Let's be bad guys.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the only Mozart I've heard was played by Victor Borge. If I took up piano I'd have to have a go at his works though, great decomposer :D
    jenna

jenna smiling politely

LOVE Mozart. His requiem is one of two of my most favourite pieces of music.
    keeron_man_boy

keeron_man_boy New Member

i studied abit of score of work in yr12 music a few years ago.

cant remember what it was though :eek:
    Allegra

Allegra New Member

A Xmas present I gave to a friend who has a baby is a CD called 'Mozart for My Baby'. Sometime ago I was amazed to discover some most peculiar titles of classical CDs on Amazon such as 'Mozart for Morning Coffee: Freshly Brews to Perk Up Your Day', 'Mozart for the Morning Commute', 'Mozart for Your Monday Workout'... I was sort of hoping to find something like 'Mozart for New Year's Day Hangover' just to be handy but failed.

And there are worse ones especially very unkind on Bach: 'Bach for Breakfast', 'Bach for Barbecue: Grillin' and Chillin' with Johann Sebastian'... I can almost hear the old masters laughing in their graves. Oh yes, for readers, we have 'Beethoven for Book Lovers: An Intimate Companion for Reading' - how possibly can one read while listening to Beethoven?:rolleyes:
    Aes

Aes You Feel Fascinated

Is this something to be ashamed of? :(

[​IMG]

Some files are box/insert scans, but still, most of that is made of mp3s. :eek:
    Allegra

Allegra New Member

15 GB of Mozart?! 'To be ashamed of'? Are you serious?:D I thought I was the crazy one here. :)
    jenna

jenna smiling politely

I bow down to you Aes! My whole classical collection is probably smaller than your Mozart one!
    Cayal

Cayal The Immortal Prince

I love classical.

Requiem is amazing.
    GOLLUM

GOLLUM Moderator Staff Member

I agree Mozart was and is pure genius.

I have some of those Mozart for Morning CDs my sister bought me. They're really good!
    Allegra

Allegra New Member

As much as I love Mozart, I can't count on him to wake me up in the morning. :p
    GOLLUM

GOLLUM Moderator Staff Member

Yes well it does rather assume you're awake at the time of playing the darn things...;)
    Allegra

Allegra New Member

Well I'm capable of doing tons of things in the morning without being completely awake (not in a sense of sleepwalking). :D
    Curt Chiarelli

Curt Chiarelli Yog-Sothothery on the Fly

Funny thing about Wolfie: He can charm the knickers off of you and, for an Austrian, that's just common operating procedure. Yet no one of his era could burn score paper with his gaze and leave such an indelible imprint as he could. In person he seemed insubstantial, but, talent-wise, he bestrode his world like a colossus.

In contrast, his letters betray a frustrating lack of intellectual content. More pointedly, his epistolary exchanges hinge upon two basic themes: Mawkish, vulgar begging for money and coarse scatological references/jokes. The man was indeed a sublime, walking contradiction. Like some 5' 2" nested egg, he was a mystery enclosed within an enigma and celestial grace wrapped in marzipan.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

I'm a sucker for sad music (oddly enough, I find that it cheers me up!) from the requiems of, for example, Berlioz, Brahms and Verdi, and any number of gloomy symphonic movements from central and eastern Europe; but there is very little that is as sad as the slow movement from Mozart's Piano Concerto #23; the work seems to carry the woes of the world on its slim shoulders.
    Curt Chiarelli

I couldn't agree more. I have an affinity for the darker shadings of the German orchestral palette. Amongst my favourites is Brahm's Fourth Symphony, The Tragic Overture and his lieder cycle, Vier Ernste Gesange. And, of course, Wagner's Ring des Nibelungen tetrology is a lynchpin in my collection, along with Erich Wolgang Korngold's operatic meisterstuck, Das Wunder der Heliane. Indispensable stuff!
    Mary Hoffman

Mary Hoffman Writer

Mozart and marzipan in one sentence says just one thing to me, Curt - Mozartkugeln! Yum.

But yes, Figaro above all and the Requiem, but what a great output in such a short life. I've always thought the silly - nay, stupid - letters were a way of blowing off steam for such a concentration of genius building up like a pressure cooker.

Mary
    Curt Chiarelli

Mozartkugeln, Mary? LOL! Ye Elder Gods, the Austrians have wrung quite a bit of mileage out of poor Wolfie's associations with Vienna and Salzburg, now haven't they!

After looking it up, I can see that this treat is made with chocolate. That's a pity because chocolate makes me nauseous. I now have visions of Mozart aficionados the world over going into ecstasies as they pop these confections their mouth whilst listening to Die Zauberflote!
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
    Allegra

Allegra New Member

Are you talking about me?:p I LOVE Mozart Kugeln (and Constanze Kugeln)! Delicious quality chocolate. And don't forget this:

[​IMG]

If you don't like chocolate Curt, you may fall for those sticky sweet liqueur!:)

Yes, Mozart is a mystery, and a miracle that happens only once. A strand of his hair (real or not) can't bring him down to earth. Whatever flaws he had as a blood & flesh human being only make his legend more fascinating. Comparing to the great ones from Beethoven onwards, Mozart's music is a pure heaven, after Bach. I also like his more brooding later works. If the 23rd piano concerto's slow movement "seems to carry the woes of the world on its slim shoulders" (yet gracefully, no matter on which note Amadeus never lost his grace), the sorrow within isn't earthy, has no connections to human misery. Quite different to that of Schumann, Brahms, Wagner, Tchaikovsky (oh his suffocating 6th symphony!), or Rachmaninov…..
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

...not to mention the slow movement of Mahler's 6th Symphony (in particular in the version by Karajan with the BPO). And you're right: those cowbells help to remind us that Mahler is here dealing with something completely different from that which Mozart is not so much depicting, but allowing us to be touched by, in that short movement.

And I'll be keeping my eyes open for those chocolates....