Charecter comparisons

Faceless Woman

Pet Nymeria. Now die.
Let me make this absolutely clear, I am in no way calling GRRM a plagerist. It is only that there are only so many character traits available.
I want to see who in ASOIAF links to others in other books by other authors, after seeing the Bradon-Frodo slash constipation thread.
Any takers?

Hellooo....
(heloo, helloo, helloo...)

Fine, I'll start. Bran-Frodo, and Ned Stark-Prince Arutha.

Re: Character comparisons

This isn't a true sci-fi personality, but I see a lot of the biblical 'Salome' character in Melisandre. There's a parallel to me between the reluctant sacrifice (by a king, each time) of Mance and John the Baptist.

I believe I've already made comparisons with Jon and Fitz out of the Assasin trilogy, although a closer examination of their characters would reveal that this is largely superficial. For one thing, Jon doesn't complain nearly as much. :D

Fitz is a complainer alright. But I love him anyway.
I linked Beloved in his incarnation as the Fool to Patchface, because of the supernatural element.
The other one, the female, would be Melisandre. (it was a long time ago, I've forgotten most of the names.)

Fitz is a complainer alright. But I love him anyway.
I linked Beloved in his incarnation as the Fool to Patchface, because of the supernatural element.
The other one, the female, would be Melisandre. (it was a long time ago, I've forgotten most of the names.)

Fitz is okay. Nevare, on the other hand, suffers from a severe dose of what I call "Shinji Ikari syndrome."

The name was, "The Pale Woman." Yeah, I thought of that too.

Hellooo....
(heloo, helloo, helloo...)

Fine, I'll start. Bran-Frodo, and Ned Stark-Prince Arutha.

No offense but Prince Arutha with Ned Stark, have you gone bonkers ?
Arutha is brilliant in everything he does, only surpassed perhaps by Robby the Hand, while Ned blundered his way on in Kings Landing in the game of Thrones and got himself killed.

The easiest place to start is with those characters that GRRM himself admits to using as inspiration, so,

Samwell Tarly = Samwise Gamgee
Aegon IV Targaryen = Henry VIII Tudor
Robert Baratheon = Edward IV
Aegon the Conqueror = William the Conqueror

Last edited:
The easiest place to start is with those characters that GRRM himself admits to using as inspiration, so,

Samwell Tarly = Samwise Gamgee
Aegon IV Targaryen = Henry VIII Tudor
Robert Baratheon = Edward IV
Aegon the Conqueror = William the Conqueror

Hi Werthead, that list is very interesting. I'm surprised to see Tolkien's Sam as a direct inspiration for GRRM's Sam, partly because using the same first name seems a tad lazy (but perhaps it just fitted too well to be changed). But also because I recall Tolkiens Sam as being tough and hardy, and refusing to admit to fear, except with Frodo. He was also quite stubborn and insistent.
To me, GRRM's Sam has hidden depths and hidden strengths, but they only come out in flashes. He still reverts to the path of least resistance and seems unsure of what he really wants.
I don't know the lives of the English kings well, but the falling into sloth and obesity of Robert was reminiscent of Henry VIII as well.
Didn't one of the English queens declare that although she was a weak woman (paraphrased) she had the heart and stomach of a king? I see a parallel with Dany's 'I am but a young girl but I am of the Dragon' sentiments.

i do believe it was Elizabeth I - possibly England's greatest ever monarch. Also Childless ... as is Dany... Also challenged MANY times for her throne. Also sent into exile (of sorts)...

Everytime I look at this title chapter, all I can think is I spelled it wrong... Mod, help...
And I always thought of Aegon IV as Henry VI, not Henry VIII, because he was a mental incompetant. Still, GRRM knows his characters better than I do.

If you look at Sam's arc through ASoS and AFFC you see Sam becoming a lot tougher, at least mentally. He has lapses, for sure, but his cunningness in swinging the LCC vote for Jon, then getting to Oldtown via Braavos, finding out intel on Dany etc, show a marginally harder side to him. It's just that Samwise Gamgee was pretty tough to start off with (a life of physical grafting, albeit 'just' gardening, does make you slightly more prepared for endless trekking and hand-to-hand combat), whilst GRRM is showing us the 'toughening up' of Sam Tarly. I'd expect to see this continue in The Winds of Winter as Sam has to survive the machinations of the Citadel, plus whatever Jaqen and Sarella are up to.

Aegon IV a mental incompetent? No, not really. It was Maegor I who was actually a lunatic (and, it is pretty heavily hinted, was killed by his nephew or by his own Kingsguard to stop his insanity from continuing to destroy the realm in the midst of the civil war with the Faith Militant). Aegon IV was physically brave and a competent (if not outstanding) battle commander who also just happened to be cruel, vindictive, petty, violent and acted without thought for the consequence. That's much closer to Henry VIII. Robert has some of the same problems, in that he was a warrior without an enemy who became slovenly, but he didn't deliberately plunge the whole realm into chaos on a whim (as Aegon IV did when he legitimised his bastards and possibly hinted that Daeron II wasn't his son, paving the way for the Blackfyre Rebellion).

Or possibly Nero, the last hereditary roman emporer. Henry VI wasn't crazy as such, just weak-minded, whereas Nero kicked his wife to death then castrated a male slave so he could marry him, because he looked a bit like his wife.

Re: Character comparisons

Sorry, I'm getting my Aegons mixed up. I meant the last one.

Are you sure you're not getting your Aegons confused with your Aeryses? I'd say Aerys II was a pretty good match for Caligula.

Of course, there are plenty of people who would say that I don't know my Aerys from my elbow, so feel free to ignore me.

Aerys! Of course. Aegon was the baby, a match for Henry VI's baby Edward. However, Margeret of Anjou is Margaery, Joffrey/Tommen's wife, not Nero / Henry / Caligula's. Huh.