Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

I have yet to see it. When I first saw a poster advertising it, I really wanted to see it. Then I saw a trailer and though... okay. I still want to see it, but maybe not that much. Then I heard reviews and was even more indifferent.

At the moment, I'd like to see it... but I may wait on some more reviews or just wait until it comes out on DVD. Heck, maybe those awards will sway my decision.

I have yet to see it. When I first saw a poster advertising it, I really wanted to see it. Then I saw a trailer and though... okay. I still want to see it, but maybe not that much. Then I heard reviews and was even more indifferent.

At the moment, I'd like to see it... but I may wait on some more reviews or just wait until it comes out on DVD. Heck, maybe those awards will sway my decision.

I've heard from a lot of people who have been to see it (both in 'real life' and on the Internet) who have been to see it, and so far everyone has liked it, it is pretty to rare for opinion to be so unanimous.

OK here's Ravenus' take on this film:

PAN'S LABYRINTH – Guillermo Del Toro

If there's anything about Pan's Labyrinth that disappoints me, it is only that when the DVD comes out it'll be advertised as being made by the same guy who made Blade II and Hellboy, two examples of half-cooked SFX wankery coated with comic-book fanboy drool. Pan's Labyrinth is everything those films aren't: It has a story that actually interests, it has visual FX that are built entirely to tell its wondrous tale and don't look like generic “sci-fi meets kung fu” tech demos and it's not afraid to make you feel depressed about cruel things that happen to characters you grow to like.

Set in WW2 era Spain where the Fascist military is doing its best to suppress the rebellion, the film centers around Ofelia (a bravura performance by Ivana Baquero), an imaginative child who with her re-married and pregnant mother comes to stay with her step-father, the iron-handed Captain Vidal. Shying from the general air of militarism and brutality around her, Ofelia slips into a fantasy plane where she meets a faun who tells her that she must complete 3 tasks for her to reclaim her legacy as the princess of a magical realm. The plot goes travels between the real and fantasy worlds of Ofelia, and scenes of civic unrest and fascist oppression alternate with magical quests that involve giant frogs and creatures with (removable) eyes on their palms. Even the climax has 2 parts, one in the real world and one in the magic world.

Under Del Toro's guidance the story moves seamlessly between the 2 worlds and he does not discount the existence of either of them. Some may pick nits about the somewhat one-sided characterization of the military as dedicated sadists but the thing to remember is that this is a film told essentially from a child's POV and reflects the simplicity of that perspective. Of course it is not to be taken as a film for children, because it does not flinch from graphic violence when needed and even the ending has a moving tragic air to it.

In the end, this is a modern day classic that needs to be seen and savored by teenage/adult audiences that look for something beyond merchandise-oriented studio crap. And move over Tim Burton, there's a new prince to claim the mature fairy tale fantasy crown that you've been wearing so far. His name is Guillermo Del Toro and by the looks of it, he has kicked your ass by a long mile.

I saw it this weekend. I can take violence in a fantasy setting, but dislike it otherwise. This movie was tough for me, I had to close my eyes a few times. Other than that, I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in the past year. For those of us who read fantasys, it's easy to imagine the worlds blending as it did for Ofelia.

I just picked a copy up from the pirates and will try and watch it tonight. I wish it had made it to the cinemas but I'm glad I managed to get a copy. Have been looking forward to this for quite some time, especially since I saw Cronos over the weekend.

i saw it tonight. i did cringe and feel uncomfortable with the violence and i usually love that. i guess it's cos it was realistic, while horror violence is ott and a bit silly.

other than hiding behind my hands for those bits, i thought it was bleeping amazing :) it was beautiful. i barely noticed the subtitles after a while. i loved the gothic ness of it, i really want a faun of my own now (statue thing) i loved the pale man mosnter thing. and the little faeries and jsut everything. it was lovely.

3 BAFTAs awarded (Best Foreign Film, Best Makeup and Best Costume Design). It deserved every one of them. Let's hope that it does well at the Oscars and that it boosts DVD sales. Del Toro deserves a major success with this one:)

I just found it available to preorder from amazon.co.uk with some "art cards" included. Obviously I preordered it.

3 Oscars for best make up, art and cinematography. Not a bad haul, although I still think it should have won best foreign film as well:)