Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

ravenus

Heretic
Has anyone here had the chance to see this Spanish film made by Guillermo Del Toro? It sounds interesting and the few screens I have seen of it look gob-smacking gorgeous. It has garnered generally glowing reviews and is being considered one of the best fantasy films of recent times. I'm quite eager to see it.

pans-labyrinth-20060911033027029.jpg

Link to IMDB's page on Pan's Labyrinth

Plot Summary from IMDB:
"Pan's Labyrinth" is the story of a young girl that travels with her mother and adoptive father to a rural area up North in Spain, 1944. After Franco´s victory. The girl lives in an imaginary world of her own creation and faces the real world with much chagrin. Post-war Fascist repression is at its height in rural Spain and the girl must come to terms with that through a fable of her own.

I saw the trailer for this some time ago, and it looks, as you say, quite stunning. God alone knows when we'll get it down here, however - and it'll probably be straight to video when we do get it...

Not seen it, but when he's doing one of his own ideas, I've been quite impressed with his work; so this one I'll definitely be keeping a watch for. Thanks for the reminder!

Dying to see that one myself.

Unfortunatly i'm busy all weekend so will see it on Monday.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to this one. Hoping to see it next week.
I'm desperately trying to avoid reviews and opinions on this as I want to see it fresh so I'll join in any discussions a bit later! :)

I know W_S is trying to avoid opinions on this so...look away now :D

It was reviewed on The Culture Show on Beeb 2 last night and they were raving about it, calling it the 'Citizen Kane of Fantasy Cinema'. There was also a small (but interesting) interview with Guillermo del Torro, where he shed some light on the inspiration behind this, his latest venture.

All in all, just more reasons to go and see this movie:)

i just saw a trailer on tv, well missed most of it, saw the end. then looked it up online. it gave me goosebumps. the music was lovely and it's eerie and goffy. im REALLY hopefuly this will be good! prestige was good, but not as amazing as i hoped. but this im hoping will be better.

Saw it this afternoon.*note - Spanish language film

Pans Labyrinth

It's Spain 1944 and the Fascists have won the Civil War with only small pockets of resistance in the mountains.

Into these mountains comes a little girl Ofelia and her pregnant mother (recently married to the fascist captain of the area) reading a bunch of fairy tale books. A meeting with a fairy takes her to a Labyrinth where a faun tells her she is a princess of the underworld and has to complete 3 tasks to return to her father the king.

Guillermo Del Toro (Hellboy, Devils Backbone) has woven a mesmerizing film that is part war movie and part fantasy (Reminded me of Mirrormask with echoes of Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz to name a few influences). Reality and fantasy collide in what is defiantly not a kids movie. There are some real world scenes of torture and violence mingled with some fantastic monsters (the creature with the eyes in his hands for instance)

Superbly acted by all involved but especially the little girl and the Fascist captain (What a ******* he is).

Is it all Reality or Fantasy? make up your own mind in what is IMO one of the best films of the year.

A Gothic Masterpiece.

Thanks for that Lucien. You've just made me even more eager to see this:)

WOW. This one is right up my alley! Can't wait to see it!

Not long seen the tv trailer for this myself (kept missing it, for some reason). It looks very good! Can't wait to see it, and I don't say that about many films.

Been looking forward to this for several weeks; and I can't find anywhere local that's showing it! (Fylde coast, Lancashire, UK) Stupid multi-national profit-centred multi-plexes... (that I normally praise as having plenty of choice!)

Went to see it yesterday. A very good movie I thought, with some very memorable scenes, although now I'm trying to work out how much of it was 'real'.

Jonathan Ross reviewed the on Film 2006 recently, I would really like to see it. I love anything like this, the music, effects and storyline sound intriguing.