• Armageddon's Children, Brooks

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • The Long Run, Moran

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Scar Night, Campbell

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some people have already set their schedules around the results here so I'm not sure switching titles/months would be very nice for them.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

I think if we try to satisfy everyone we will often find ourselves unable to settle on titles in time to discuss them.

And Parson, nobody is required to do anything they don't want to do or to put themselves out in any way. But for the Book Club to work, everyone can't just limit their participation to the books they have on hand and/or would be reading anyway. That's how the last Book Club died.

Last time we did this, I got burned buying and/or reading books I didn't want and didn't like, while the people who had voted for the books never turned up for the discussion at all. Yet I'm willing to make the same sort of committment and take the same risk (for a couple of months at least, to see what happens) because I'd really like to see the Book Club succeed this time around.

Are those who agitated so vigorously for another go at this willing to do the same?

I'm willing to get and read the book, I am not sure a price tag of $45 wouldn't put me off a bit though. I think that's a bit steep when we could simply choose a book that's in print first and wait until Scar Night is more readily (cheaply) availble.

I would vote for doing Long Run 1st. I know we had a proper and fair vote over it but the circumstances are somewhat unusual and if we want something to fail at the first hurdle the price / availability thing is likely to do it.

That's unless there is anyway of setting up a Chronicles distribution - and I have no idea how that might work, it was just an idea.

I am eager to be part of the book club. One thing you can be sure of is that I live up to my commitments. If I say I will be part, I will be part. I have often thought it would be wonderful to be a part of a book club. :) I am willing to read things that I wouldn't ordinarily read. So do not read too much into my saying that "Scar Night" would be a stretch. The money issue is more to the point. I will happily wait until month two to join if this is slowing the process of this club down. I have already purchased "The Long Run" and its predecssor "Emerald Eyes" ---- It is hard for me to imagine that I haven't read those before they look like the kinds of SF that would really turn my crank, but nothing outside of the cover of "The Long Run" and the title "Emerald Eyes" has anything like a memory for me.--- But if you are willing to change the order than I will be happy to be part of the discussion for Scar Night. Whatever is best for the largest group of people is fine with me.

I'm reluctant to switch things around this long after the end of the vote. To that end I'm still looking into other ways to get readers the books. I've found several ARC's (advance review copy) available for cheaper than the new hardback will be on ebay:

eBay - scar night, scar night Books, Fiction Books items on eBay.com

and bookfinder has a nice listing too: BookFinder.com: Search and Price Comparison for New, Out-of-Print and Used Books

As I said, I'm still looking into alternatives, but it may just be a few of us for this first month.

I plan to buy Scar Night from Amazon U.S. (through the Chronicles store) when it is available on December 26. I'll use the cheap shipping option, which usually means that a book takes a week to arrive. I assume I will have finished reading it shortly thereafter.

My questions are: By what day in January should we have finished reading Scar Night? When does discussion officially begin?

My questions are: By what day in January should we have finished reading Scar Night? When does discussion officially begin?

Good point. I sort of assumed that we'd read the book before the month, and then start discussion on January 1. But then most book clubs (I think, never having been in one) would read the book together (x chapters at a time) and discuss as they went... But given the medium we're using, I can't see why discussion can't be joined whenever we've finished the book - be it January 1 or January 21.... As long as everyone is respectful and adequate spoiler warnings are posted, we should all still be able to be involved in the discussion.

I went and bought Scar Night today, and I have ordered The Long Run, and I already have Hades Daughter, so I am set :)

Good point. I sort of assumed that we'd read the book before the month, and then start discussion on January 1. But then most book clubs (I think, never having been in one) would read the book together (x chapters at a time) and discuss as they went... But given the medium we're using, I can't see why discussion can't be joined whenever we've finished the book - be it January 1 or January 21.... As long as everyone is respectful and adequate spoiler warnings are posted, we should all still be able to be involved in the discussion.
Culhwch is right. We used to start mid-month, but there is no reason to have a true fixed date. Anyone who finishes the book or even is halfway through and wants to can start a discussion here as long as any spoilers are noted.

O "Fierce Voweless One," I bow before your ageless wisdom. I did not even know that there was such a think as bookfinder.com. I found a copy for only $11.50 including postage and it is on the way.

Culhwch is right. We used to start mid-month, but there is no reason to have a true fixed date. Anyone who finishes the book or even is halfway through and wants to can start a discussion here as long as any spoilers are noted.

Now another question. How do we begin? Suppose I have read through chapter 2, do I put that at the beginning of the thread, or do we post on a continual thread with notations before hand about at what point we have a comment or question? :confused: A novice question. I know! But as that great philospher Popeye once said, "I am's what I am's."

O "Fierce Voweless One," I bow before your ageless wisdom.
Nicely said :D

I did not even know that there was such a think as bookfinder.com. I found a copy for only $11.50 including postage and it is on the way.
Despite it's faults, the internet is a wondrous thing, isn't it?

Now another question. How do we begin? Suppose I have read through chapter 2, do I put that at the beginning of the thread, or do we post on a continual thread with notations before hand about at what point we have a comment or question? :confused: A novice question. I know! But as that great philospher Popeye once said, "I am's what I am's."
This will depend upon participation. Should discussion warrant separate threads, we can certainly accommodate that. We'll see how it flows and work from there.

This will depend upon participation. Should discussion warrant separate threads, we can certainly accommodate that. We'll see how it flows and work from there.

One bows before the Fierce Vowelless One, nods with appreciation, and retires into one's corner to await the anticipated summons.

Yes thanks for the links Dwndrgn. Will be getting scar night imediately.

OK I'm going to support the idea of the book club and get the hardback of Scar Night although it goes against the grain.

Can I suggest, that in future, the easy availability of the paperback version of the book is taken into account before deciding on which books are selected? It should be fairly easy to scan, say, Amazon for America, Australia and the UK.

I voted for Scar Night but wouldn't have minded waiting until May for the paperback on Amazon uk.

Can I suggest, that in future, the easy availability of the paperback version of the book is taken into account before deciding on which books are selected? It should be fairly easy to scan, say, Amazon for America, Australia and the UK.
Thank you for supporting the book club. Yes we definitely will be doing this in the future. Actually this is my fault because I didn't take the time to look and ensure that all the books were readily available beforehand. I apologize for that and you can be sure I will be more thorough next time.

I've ordered 'Scar Night' from Amazon.uk.co so I'll definately be taking part. I've just begun a large book (Perdido Street Station), which will take me a while. I would expect to begin Scar Night until January so, like Parson, I'm curious about how exactly it is going to work. In 'normal', off-line book clubs, don't they just discuss the whole book once everyone has finished?

This book was everywhere a few months ago, now I swear there isn't a single copy in Brisbane. I might be getting a late start in January...

I think I'm going to participate as well. I have Amazon Prime(free 2-day shipping), so mine should be in next week sometime, and I'll start reading it right away. I'll have it read in a couple of days probably. I guess I should order the other two as well, but probably won't get around to it until next week.