Biggest Mystery?

Rane Longfox

Red Rane
OK, maybe someone can help me out here. Who is Traveller? A lot of people think its Dassem Ultor, quoting mainly from the scene where it desribes him as a Dal Honese. this seems rather stupid to me, because there are a hell of a lot of Dal Honese around;) And besides, we know Traveller was one of the first three members of the Malazan Empire, and in HoC, Admiral Nok recites the order in which the old guard were recruited, and Ultor is alfter several people.
Personally, I used to think it was Ameron, but he's Napan, so unless he's damn good at illusions (Tayschrenn-esque), it can't be him.

My personal theory now is that Traveller is a completely new character we haven't even heard of in any other context, but i'm sure that has lots of holes too;)

Please someone help, its the only thing in the malazan books so far that I can't decide on what I believe... except that its not Ultor;)

Hmm..you've got me there. My best guess was Dassem Ultor, as I seem to remember a scene involving Traveller showing great prowess at swordsmanship. There were 9 in the beginning right, the core team that included Kellanved, Dancer and Surly? What we need to do is figure out the other 6...

p209 TPB HoC:

"'Who were the first hirelings Admiral?'
'Myself [Nok], Ameron, Dujek, a woman named Hawl - my wife... a lad named Dujek discovered where we were holed up and delivered us to his new employers. Kellanved and Dancer.'
'Dancer later bolstered our numbers by recruiting... Carhteron Crust and his brother, Urko. And Surly - Laseen. Toc Elder, Dassem Ultor - who was like Kellanved, of Dal Honese blood - and a renegade High Septarch of the D'rek cult, Tayscrenn. And finally, Duiker. The family, with Kellanved conquered Malaz Island.'"

p489:
"'I know him [Traveller]... Not my memories, Dancer's. Dancer knew him. Knew him well. They were... three. It was never just two of them - did you know that? Never just Dancer and Kellanved. No, he was there. Almost from the very beginning. Before Tayscrenn, before Dujek, before even Surly.'"

Suggests to me another, unknown person...

HMM.. I thought it was Dassem too but then that's too obvious. The one thing I've noticed and really like about Erikson is that he doesn't tend to telegraph his major "revelations" or plot twists before delivering them. I think with Steven it's never what you think, that would be too easy!!

I'll have to put my thinking cap on now.:confused:

caladanbrood said:
So, have you thought about it yet?:D
A thousand apologies sir!!

I've thought about it but I just can't seem to see my way clear of things.. DARN it all!:confused:

Sorry mate, time for me to get a replacement brain methinks....:eek:

HMM.. time for a reread times 10.....

Browsing malazan just now though, I did see a quite intelligent theory that Traveller was Whiskeyjack... but I can't find it again now:(

I can't believe you're still doing this... and over here as well Brewdy :p
Now give it up... resistance is futile...
and besides I asked Erikson at FantasyCon.... but I'm not gonna tell ya :D

Rane Longfox said:
.... I did see a quite intelligent theory that Traveller was Whiskeyjack...

I'm reading "House of Chains" atm, and it was also my suspicion that 'Traveler' was/is Whiskeyjack, in agreement with Rane Longfox. Who better to wield the sword VENGENCE, with that mans skill and the betrayal he suffered (along with a few of us readers, too, no doubt!)? Aye, a thought, but I must await and await for the story to unfold...

:D HG

Why don't I think its Whiskeyjack? I'm not really sure ....I just don't think its him, doesn't sit right with me .I would have thought at least one of the malazan's he was with would have been a bridge burner.I know it seems the logical solution that it's him but its just too easy.I think it will be someone we haven't encountered before.

Let's face it folks until the great man reveals all we're just stabbing in the dark, which of course can be half the fun mind you....:p :p :p

Quite right, Gollum. We don't necessarily need an answer as to whom 'Traveller' might be.
"Stabbing in the dark", eh? Hmmm, I think I may withdraw my little theory about it being Whiskeyjack, due to that remark.... ;)

HieroGlyph said:
Quite right, Gollum. We don't necessarily need an answer as to whom 'Traveller' might be. "Stabbing in the dark", eh? Hmmm, I think I may withdraw my little theory about it being Whiskeyjack, due to that remark.... ;)
Well now don't let me influence you with any metaphorical statements old chap....;)