Who will wake up the stone dragon

the smiling weirwood said:
Where does it say that?

GRRM said it in his description of one of the Targaryen princesses (Elaena, one of Baelor the Blessed's sisters that he locked in the Maidenvault) to the artist Amoka (whose website is down at the moment, otherwise I'd link it). The history of the eggs is something that has emerged fairly recently but seems to be:

That the three eggs were laid by one of the Targaryen dragons who died, either in the Dance of Dragons or one of the last few poisoned by Aegon III (allegedly), roughly 160 years before AGoT. The Targaryens tried to hatch the eggs but nothing worked. They knew they needed fire, but that didn't work, so Baelor the Blessed prayed over them for days on end to no avail. Elaena, IIRC, carried around one with her the whole time and tried to induce it to hatch though nurture. During the Blackfyre Rebellion one of Daemon Blackfyre's agents, the master thief Quickfinger, tried to steal the eggs, but was captured (as mentioned in The Sworn Sword). Eventually Aegon V came up with a sure-fire way of hatching them. We don't know what happened, but it killed Aegon, his eldest son, the Lord Commander of his Kingsguard and burned down Summerhall (Prince Rhaegar was born on the same night).

The fate of the eggs after this is unclear, but somehow they wound up with Ilyrio Mopatis (probably Varys' doing). They were given to Ilyrio to give to Dany when the occasion arose, presumably out of hope that they would hatch somehow. Maybe Varys realised that dragon eggs take a long time to mature.

Incidentally, this theory also explains why the Targaryens waited on Dragonstone for 100 years between the Doom and the Conquest: they were waiting for their dragons to hatch and get big enough to use in battle.

Maybe I'm silly and romantic but I always imagined the eggs hatched because of the fires of Dany's heart...

Dany's heart? She has to be the coldest character in the book! - perhaps second coldest after Stannis... But i find Dany to be the most childish of the main characters (yes even moreso than the starks - love Arya though and Sansa grew on me once she finally realised she was playing in an adult world and grew up). I certainly don't want to see her sitting on the Throne of Swords. Westeros does not need another Targaryan sovereign.

COLD???? The Others are cold. Stannis is cold. Euron is cold. Not my precious Dany (I can hear Aegon the oh so Unworthy groaning from the other side of the world... ;) )

Like SW said, Dany is one of the most passionate characters in the series. She truly does want to do what's right but sometimes that isn't possible. Her reaction to the nailing of the slave boys to mark the way to Quarth or to the death of Drogo and her unborn child speaks for itself.

COLD? Huh!

As painful as this whole thing is, I agree with TK and additionally dont hate Dany as much as people seem to think. Great, Im gonna have to light myself on fire now.

Its quite clear to me that Dany and Jon are opposites but not adversaries. Dany is the fire to Jons snow (I mean ice) so to speak. Therefore its an easy analogy to say that the eggs were hatched in the heat of Danys passion. She was full of rage and grief during the hatching so you could say she was at the height of her "fireyness".

the smiling weirwood said:
Dragonstone is an island, not an object. You wouldn't refer to Hawaii as "the Hawaii", would you?

That has to be the smallest nitpick ever.

It gave the (false)impression that there is some Great Stone Dragon somewhere or somesuch nonsense.

Also, I'm a nitpicker. Get over it.

Dragonstone is an island, not an object. You wouldn't refer to Hawaii as "the Hawaii", would you?

No, but I believe you can call Mauna Kea as 'the Mauna Kea' (as 'the white mountain'). Dragonstone is not only the name of the island, but also the name of the mountain/volcano on the island as well, and calling it 'the' Dragonstone I think is broadly acceptable. Not the regular way of saying it, but hardly outrageous either. This is similar to Dragonmount in Wheel of Time, which is also called 'the' Dragonmount on several occasions.

Actually, Dragonstone is the name of the fortress and the island. I do not recall it ever mentioning that the mountain has a name at all. I may be wrong but where does it call the mountain Dragonstone? I remember Stannis saying he will instruct his steward to begin mining the volcanoes on Dragonstone for dragonglass, but he doesn't refer to it as "the" Dragonstone.

Back