The Reverand

I like studying my degree (Sociology), but I wish
What did everyone think of Nathan Fillion's character in Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Fillion played the Reverand, the evil priest in the last season of Buffy. Personally, I thought he was one of the best villians in Buffy. I've only seen one episode starring the Reverand, and I must say I am quite impressed.

I find it funny though that Fillion, who played Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly and Serenity (the sci-fi show and film based on the show), would make such a big role change. He's a futuristic cowboy in Firefly, but is some evil priest in Buffy. I have this image of the Reverand dressed up in a browncoat and typical cowboy clothes and boots because of Fillion's role in Firefly. I don't know why I have this image in my head, it just seems like such a strange role for Fillion to play (as the evil reverand).

I thought his chauvinism towards women was intereasting as well. Do we find out why he hates women so much?

I've only seen the first two episodes he was in, but he was excellent. Nathan Fillion's a very talented actor. I much preferred him to a lot of the other villains because he was less archetypal - he believed that what he was doing was right and he wasn't just some terrible evil demon, but someone who at first seems like a normal person. And of course, he has some great lines ("I move in mysterious ways .... also some fairly straightforward ones).

I hated him, which means that Nathan did his job well. The religious chauvinist southerner really struck a nerve so I thought he was a good villain in terms of people to face but I wouldn't stick him on my list of favourite villains. He did make a great switch in roles though and was good in Firefly as well.

For the perfect mix of creepy and cheerful I will always remain faithful to The Mayor.

The interesting thing to me was Fillion's comment -- about being Reynolds, actually, as I recall -- that he didn't think he could play such a dark, rather brooding character... and I think that fits several aspects of the Reverend quite well.

Yes I think you're right - Caleb was quite dark and brooding, but with a slightly witty, lighter side as well. And iirc, Nathan also auditioned for the role of Angel (surely that's a dark, brooding role) even though he didn't get very far.

I thought he did an excellent job and was one tough villain. Still don't understand why he didn't simply kill Buffy when he knocked her out at the school (when Buffy went to clean out her stuff and no one was there).

As for his role in Firefly, you can definitely see moments in which his character has Caleb-like characteristics.

StoryMask said:
Still don't understand why he didn't simply kill Buffy when he knocked her out at the school (when Buffy went to clean out her stuff and no one was there).

The point of such a confrontation as that between the Slayer and the First isn't to kill the slayer -- especially one that's been a major thorn in the side -- it's to destroy her ... force her to watch everything she's ever worked for lost, bit by bit, suffering each loss along the way ... then to kill her. At that point, Buffy was not suffering enough to be given the coup de grace.

Yeah... and where did that get evil? Sheesh, you'd think with all of Evil's knowledge, it would know about Buffy's uncanny ability to stop the big baddie in town. Heck, she stopped a goddess in season 5, but at least that cost her her life.

Anyways, I know it's a Buffy show, so she has to win. I would have just preferred it if she would have escaped somehow, instead of being knocked out and left there... it's like the whole evil guy 'monologuing' instead of going for the kill deal. Still, loved the show and hated to see it go.

I adore this show. Caleb was one of the best villains on the show. Dreaming of Eagles, I agree with you on the Mayor, though. He was also a gret villain. Anyone who builds a town just to destry it wins some serious bonus points.

Who was more powerful between Caleb and Glory. And for good measure, how would Illyria (sp?) from Angel, fare against either of them? Before her powers are removed obviously.

I would say Caleb - when he was infused directly with the power of the First. Glory's power was diminished to a degree while in human form, as well as having the problem of Ben popping up from time to time.

Illyria would have wiped the floor with both of them - on this plane anyway, in the case of Glory - but she'd have had to do it in the few days she had before she imploded or whatever it was that happened to her.

I actually liked Adam as a villain, I thought him being connected and able to see the underlying reality of everything a really interesting idea.

Back