The Children of Hurin

Discussion in 'J R R Tolkien' started by TK-421, Sep 18, 2006.

TK-421

TK-421 I Do Not Sow

Unfinished J.R.R. Tolkien work to be published next year

Associated Press

New York — An unfinished tale by J.R.R. Tolkien has been edited by his son into a completed work and will be released next spring, the U.S. and British publishers announced Monday.
    Christopher Tolkien has spent the past 30 years working on "The Children of Hurin," an epic tale his father began in 1918 and later abandoned. Excerpts of "The Children of Hurin," which includes the elves and dwarves of Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" and other works, have been published before.
    "It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the 'Children of Hurin' as an independent work, between its own covers," Christopher Tolkien said in a statement.
    The new book will be published by Houghton Mifflin in the United States and HarperCollins in England.
    Boaz

Boaz Thaphireth!

Thanks for the heads up, TK.
    Nesacat

Nesacat The Cat

I'd heard about this and j.d. had also mentioned it. Thanks for the information TK. :)
    Werthead

Werthead Lemming of Discord

The full publicity release from the publishers:

And many thanks, Chronicles Network, for being the first forum (out of about six) I'd seen this news posted where someone didn't immediately mention Brian Herbert :rolleyes: ;)
    j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I'd seen a short (not much longer than the original post here) notice on this, and was prepared to groan until I'd actually read what it had to say... Now, with the added information, this looks like it will definitely be worth getting; glad to know Christopher has been keeping to his intent to do a good, scholarly job on his father's writings....
    Shoegaze99

Shoegaze99 New Member

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana]I'll be very glad to see the Children of Hurin stories finished and soon on the shelves. They’re quite compelling sagas.

A few years back I was quite taken with the tale of Turin, but disappointed that it existed only in chunks spread across three different Tolkien releases, none of them complete. Well, the Turin saga in the Silmarillion is complete in a sense, but lacks a LOT of text, such as that found in Unfinished Tales. (The Silmarillion is more of an overview narrative, whereas the text in Unfinished Tales is more detailed, featuring a lot of dialogue and characterization not found in The Silmarillion.) I so badly wanted to read it as a complete, epic story, I took it upon myself to make a "complete" version. Using the Silmarillion chapters, the text published in Unfinished Tales, all the footnotes therein, and material published in the History of Middle Earth series, I edited it all together into a “complete” Tale of Turin. It was novella length was all was said and done, and all the writing was Tolkien’s. (A few fragmentary lines from Christopher Tolkien, culled from footnotes, were included because they helped transition passages.)

It has pretty much sat around on a CD-R since.

If the boss knew I did it on his time, he’d wonder what the point was. And I wouldn’t have an answer.
    [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana] Hooray for wasting my time![/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana]
    As a lifelong Tolkien fan, I’m very glad to see Christopher Tolkien undertaking and completing this project. He’ll have a LOT more to work with, texts that have never seen the light of day, and which will make this an even more compelling saga than it already is. I’m thrilled at this news.
    [/FONT]
    SmoothasSilk

SmoothasSilk Potions Mistress

I haven't read Unfinished Tales, but I have read MOST of the Silmarrillion, I can't wait for the Children of Hurin to come out though.. it sounds beautiful.
    Clank

Clank Robot in Disguise...

I literally just finished reading 'Turin' in The Silmarillion last night. One of the highlights of the book, but would love to have an 'expanded' version of the story so this sounds really interesting...
    Curugon

Curugon New Member

The expanded version off the Turin tale is possibly my favorite piece Tolkien ever wrote. Absolutely amazing, especially if you're familiar with the surrounding events in the Silmarillion. Can't wait to check out this new edition.
    Pointfinder

Pointfinder I like to do stuff!

Can't wait to get it. I just wish it had been available for this past Christmas.
    j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

*sigh* Seconded.:( Am very much looking forward to this one...
    Anomander

Anomander New Member

I just like that name, Turin Turambar, master of doom (wonder how Dr Doom feels about having a master.... :))
    disrepdog

disrepdog New Member

Has anyone read it yet?
    Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

I haven't even seen it in our bookshops yet! Am looking forward to getting a copy though...
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

Started it yesterday, so far so good
    Arien

Arien New Member

I am reading it. it´s a very good book ^^ even though I know the story from the history of middle earth ... ^^ so it isn´t much new for me in it... ^^
    I love the story from Túrin, son of Húrin. It´s my favourite story in the silmarillion. (except the story of Beren and Lúthien x3)
    I don´t regret buying me this book ^^ x3x3x3
    Herew

Herew A wise warrior is strong.

The Children of Hurin was amazing! I haven't finished the Silmarillion yet (I'm reading it even now) so I knew very little of the history surrounding the story. I found it to be very sad, a classic tragidy for sure!
    Wayward Ho!

Wayward Ho! New Member

I really enjoyed The Children of Hurin, and I think it works well as a stand alone story. I can see it being a nice bridge between LoTR and The Silmarillion, for those who have yet to wet their feet in the complexities of the First Age. Sadly though, it doesn't make me feel any different about Turin, who has to be one of the biggest fools ever to tread on the face of Middle-earth, or indeed, swim through the complexities of the First Age.

*evil smile*
    fingy773

fingy773 Needs more oranges!

wat exactly is it about cause i got it but cant be bothered reading it???:confused:
    Cayal

Cayal The Immortal Prince

I finished this book not to long ago and I really enjoyed it.

I haven't read any other Tolkien books with the exception of the Fellowship and half of The Two Towers.
    It was quite a story and the style of writing was intriguing. Definitely a worthy read.