Original movies

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Foxbat, Sep 5, 2006.

Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

It seems that the original versions of episodes IV V and VI are to be released on the 11th of september this year. I just thought I'd mention this because there has been some debate in the past about whether they should be made available or not. I know that our great leader (Brian) will have a smile on his face when he reads this (purist that he is) . Get those hammers a-smashing them piggy banks:D
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Oh dear. I see there's already a thread on this subject. Looks like I'll need another visit to get my eyes tested.:eek:
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

What's really odd is that I'm sure I've seen these out already.

In fact, I was in Stirling last week and was looking to buy a set - original movies, digital remastered. Gave every indication of being the original originals, with no CGI extras.

Did I miss something??
    TK-421

TK-421 I Do Not Sow

Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

I've noticed some places put (empty)boxes of new releases on display (even though they are not yet released). I presume it is an advertising stunt to drum up custom. Perhaps that is what you've seen. Or perhaps the Force is strong in you:D
    alpierre

alpierre Science fiction fantasy

Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

I'm currently watching Star Wars in all its original glory for the first time in many, many years. Praise be to whoever smacked sense into George Lucas's bearded head.
    steve12553

steve12553 The Enigma of Steel

I envy you. I truly enjoyed the first movie when I first saw it. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen.
    kaneda

kaneda Did you not know?

I wasn't sure if I was going to buy these, but I'm watching the 2004 special edition of empire strikes back, and im cringing at the changes! :mad:

What's the quality like on the original releases?
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

It's about the same quality as my early 90's video set. In other words, glorious. I think they may have cleaned up the colour a touch, but naught else. I'd get them. In fact, I did.....
    steve12553

steve12553 The Enigma of Steel

I picked up the one packaged as "Episode IV", although the beauty of it is that it doesn't say that in the title crawl. It just says "Star Wars". I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it although I may have found one of the reasons that Lucas doctored them. A large amount of dialogue (specifically C3P0's) is pretty 60s and 70s, TV hokey. And the scene at the end with the medal presentation contained a lot of winking and hamming but that was common back then. It may have embarassed good old George and the newer special effects drew attension away from it. It was good the way it was and it was made in the mid-1970s, so it had to pull in some of the culture of the times. I'll probably pick up the other two before the end of the year but if I don't this was the one that was special. The one that showed us a world that we had never seen before.