Who will be the King of Riva

Amdillae Culmet

this has perplexed me for a while. Since Garion is a sorcerrywouldn't he have a expanded life like the other disciples of Aldur. If that was the case would he just step down from the throne so that Geran can take the crown/

Geran could well be as long lived as his father. Dryads have longer lifespans than humans so there may not need to be any changes to the Throne for a long time.

In time, Garion could probably step down and possibly become a disciple of Aldur (if required)

polgara said something in the polgara the sorceress, that now the final quest is over that they might live soo long... might.. hmmmmm

belgarion i belive would step down when geran is old enough to become king. belgarion is immortal, however unless his son is a socerer he is not. the question of dryad hertiage doesn't come into question as he is a male. the dryad hertiage only breeds true in the females. so belgarion, ce'nedra and all of the daughters will watch geran die as a "normal" person.

But does that mean if Geran died without an heir it would fall back onto Belgarions shoulders I mean seeing as he can touch the orb and all.

Belgarath always said,"We all live as long as we need to," I've always taken that to mean that Garion would be long-lived but mortal. Certainly he Rivan line were not immortal.

That's pretty much the way I looked on it, too. Also, presumably if something were to happen to Geran, perhaps the Prophecy would have warned Garion before it left, or even set other means in motion to prevent any further upheaval regarding the Orb? (That said, I must re-read the books again)

Sorcerers are unmortal beings. They live as long as they live until they are killed or will themselves out of existence. There is no evidence of a disciple of either Aldur or Torak actually 'dying'. Ctuchik destroys himself, Urvon is in Hell a play thing for the King there, Zedar is imprisoned alive, in solid rock for eternity. Belmakor and Belsambar willed themselves out of existence. No actual dying.
With this evidendce, i'd imagine Belgarion abdicating when he felt Geran was ready to be king and going off to the Vale to live until he no longer needs to. Ce'Nedra's lifespan is far more finite. Queen Xantha is a good example of age limit for a dryad, her tree is approaching 2000 if i recall correctly, and that seems to me the very upper limit of an Oak tree's life. Ce'Nedra was far more dryad than most of her ancestors among the Borunes. hence prophecy's warning to Belgarion to be prepared for lots of daughters.

Yes but it doesnt mention if any sorceress died durring battle cause none did but that doesnt mean if i chopped there head of theyd servive.

i didn't say they would survive a beheading. what i said was, they can be killed or kill themselves, but they won't 'die' - say of old age...

Sorcerers live for as long as they need to. They aren't going to be immortal if they have already accomplished their role in the prophecy. In regards to who rules, you could say that each king will rule until the purpose that governs everything deems the prince ready to rule. Obviously it is a matter of the purpose if the prince is ready, because the prince has to guard the Orb.

Hey Im just thinking if all the purposes are finished at the end of the Mallorean is the Orb truelly needed? I mean isnt it more of a thing like u dont do wat we say ill get the orb on u? I think it sould have been destroyed with the Sardion That way noone has the uperhand. And then if the line does fall it would just go to the next in line like the next buaracracy guy/ maybe brands line?

the purposes aren't finished, the purposes just come back together to form the original purpose that split up when The Accident happened
the sardion and the orb were part of the star that started the accident (the accident being that galaxy that blew up) and seperated at the same time as the purposes
when the choice was made the sardion and zandramas went to patch up the hole that the galaxy left when it exploded
the orb stays because it eriond was chosen so all those who were on the side of the Light remain
since the orb is still here the guardians are still needed because there are people who still want the orb for their own uses and can easily find ways around the no touching rule
if the wrong person gets it, whats to stop him from creating another Accident and ripping the universe again

Actually the Orb is there to protect the West. I guess now that the world is in peace they wont need the Orb...but that doesnt mean that there is no one whos evil enough to disrupt the peace of the world..thats why the Orb is still there..so it can restore order both the universe and the world.

the orb isn't there to protect anything other than its own purpose. The orb wouldn't have even been in the world of the Belgariad if not for The Accident.
It is Eriond who will restore peace to the World.
And as Necessity itself is more than powerful enough, it will certainly influence events to achieve the purpose of the Universe, whatever that may be.

From what you say evil genius, you think the Orb is now the equivalent of a Nuclear weapon. Belgarion's threat against anyone who dares to defy him or endanger peace. That is absolutely unnecessary. The Orb is monumentally powerful, but so is Belgarion, not to mention Belgarath, Polgara, Durnik, the Twins, and Beldin (should he retake human form) are more than deterrant enough.
Remember, Riva Iron-Grip and his descendents were the Guardians of the Orb, NOT the other way around.

I agree with what most people have been saying, that Belgarion would stepdown and abdicate the throne to Geran, but someone mentioned that as their purposes are fulfilled that the sorcerer's would in a way, return to their natural lifespan, but I dont agree. I dont believe they die from old age but maybe from natural causes? And I think Geran will be a sorcerer, he has too much contact with magic for him not to develop a curiosity, and constant contact with the Orb surely would promote it?

Belgarath had two daughters, one normal one sorceress. So it is not to say that Geran will be sorcerer as well , just because daddy is one. Perhaps the orb will keep Geran going?

Actually, I hadn't thought of that. Out of both Beldaran and Polgara, only Polgara had the mark of the sorcerors (ie, able to use the Will and the Word). Given Garion's heritage, I find it likely that Geran would also be a sorceror, but you can never tell...

Back