Time War

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamwalker

Starship Manufacturer
Im open to crits both on grammar/sentance order and on the philosophical content! It's rewriten for more as a personal referance than a publishable end product. The concepts are also heavily inspired by Rob Bryanton's book; 'Imaging the Tenth Dimensions'.

Thanks!

Temporal War 101

Time is a function of dimensionality.
Time, best understood as the dimension above, would be to 2 dimensional entities, its understanding or it’s perception of the 3rd dimension. To that same 2 dimensional being, the 4th dimension would be a further factor of time in which its natural perception of may be impossible due to the mechanics the universe.

All things that did, are, will, could have, can and might happen; did happened, are happening, will happen, could have happen, can happen, and might happen.
Understanding that time is the dimension above; the dimensions above time are other possibilities, or ‘time lines’. To a 6 dimensional being, the universe is static, with every thing that has happened, is happening, and will happen, multiplied by everything that could have happened, could be happening, and might happen; happening all at once.

To a 3rd Dimensional Being, a time war is about controlling the 5th and 6th dimensions.
Understanding the above, a time war would be about being able to exist in the time-line in which your race or civilisation has the best possible outcome, or in which your enemy has as little impact on the time line as possible.

To travel through dimensions, you ‘fold’ or travel through the dimension above.
To travel between 2 points within 3 dimensional space, you need to travel through time. To travel between 2 points in space and time, you need to travel through the dimension above, which results in your “time line” changing; this is known as a Temporal Divergence.

Going ‘back’ in time to change the present is meaningless.
It is possible to send information to the past; however this would only create a divergant time-line that would run parallel to the Temporal War ‘reality’. Instead, changes are made in the present in light of the knowledge of the future. This causes divergences or shifts that effect the entire time line a Temporal War is waged in.

Entropy governs Time
Entropy, best understood as the mode at which information is transferred from one source, to all sources, governs the way corporeal matter behaves through time. Entropy is in fact why the universe exists, from one state in which a universe of information was contained in a point infinitely small; Entropy governs how this universe of information will be spread throughout infinity. It is very unlikely to achieve Temporal Outcomes that go against Entropy.

The first change has more effect than the second change and so on.
Due to entropy, as soon as the first divergence has been made, the second change would cause a smaller divergence in the time line, and a third change, a smaller divergence still. Because of this, pre emptive changes that stifle your opponent’s possible temporal outcomes are favoured to those which improve your own races outcome. However, depending on the nature of precognition within a race, making major changes early on magnify the likelihood of catastrophic outcomes for both sides.

As soon as a race understands the nature of time, a Temporal War begins.
Due to the above statements on Entropy, causing the first divergences will result in having the higher likelihood of favourable outcomes within any Temporal War. Because of this, civilisations will often prepare for a Temporal War against a race they may not have even had contact with.

Precognition development within a race is often a result of a Temporal War, and never the other way round.
Clairvoyant Precognition develops within races or civilisations usually long before the first contact with the opposing race or civilisation has occurred however, Temporal Wars are instigated due to the deductive reasoning and observation and often spur development of Precognition within a race.

You stand a faction of a chance winning or losing a losing a Temporal War.
The likelihood of totally winning or losing a Temporal War against a race capable of fighting one is infinitesimally small and either results in stalemates or intergalactic corporeal wars. It is questionable to believe that any corporeal war could be fought without a temporal front, or without being a part of a larger temporal strategy.
Although a civilisation may never win a temporal war, the result is the same as corporeal war if a civilisation refuses to fight it.

I like it. I like that sort of stuff in general.... made up rules for this kind of stuff. You can find elements of it in a lot of Sci-Fi, From Dune to Iain Banks.

I'd check it through a few more times for capitalisaiton. You're capitalising terms "Temporal War", "Clairvoyant Precognition" etc but you're not consistant and miss quite a few.

Also, I'd switch to words instead of numbers (Distance between two points, third dimension). that might be a personal asthetic thing, but It would make it seem more hmmmm, not sure of the word... authentic maybe, if you did.

Clairvoyant Precognition

You said that that was supposed to be more of a personal reference and not really an entertaining piece, but I found myself very intrigued and entertained by it. It reminded me a little bit of the three laws of robotics from "I, Robot", except much longer and thought-provoking. I'm led to wonder where you derived most of the ideas from... that is, what rules were inspired and which were altogether original. That would make a great preface to a sci-fi time war saga, if you were ever crazy enough to try to write something like that.

Ash
Words instead of numbers seem like a very good idea, i'll take it on board from now on.
Anayo
I'm very glad you enjoyed it, and yes, I did think about Asomov's laws of robots whilst writing this (laws which I thoroughly dissagree with but where a good vechical for a story) unfortunately, probably because of the nature of time, mine could not be as concise! :p

I'm planning on writing a an epic future war saga, however, i've come to the realisation that any advanced civilisation would fight a war from a completely different way to our own.
As for my inspiration, as I mentioned above, Rob Bryanton's book; 'Imaging the Tenth Dimensions' was a major "mind shift" in my understanding of our perception and the likely realities of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back