Luke and Leia

Cloud

Rahvin's Grammy
My biggest pet peeve about Star Wars is the relationship between Luke and Leia. If they were supposed to be twin brother and sister in Lucas' grand scheme, why were the actors so dissimilar in appearance, and why all the flirting?

I don't care what anyone says--the part about them being brother and sister had to be an afterthought after the success of the first movie. Which, extrapolating, makes the whole backstory an afterthought.

Fraternal twins (the most common sort of twins) often don't look much alike, there's no reason they couldn't look completely different.

As for the flirting.... they didn't know they were twins.

I think, yeah, it was added later as was a lot of the back story, but compared to what was 'added' in the prequels I'm suprised to hear this ranks that high on anyones pet peeve list :D

Well-----

First, it is not uncommon for a boy to associate lust with the love of a mother, sister, ect. Yes, that may sound a little wierd, but in classical psychology it is very true. Secondly, you have to remember how inexperience Luke was, not only to his inherent power but also to the ways of the world, women and relationships. Even if he had known right away that Leigha was his sister, I think that there still would have been some underlying sexual tension based on Luke's age, unrealized desire and inexperience with 'real life' in general.

that's all very interesting rationalization. But it still jars me.

Yeah. I still remember my reaction when I heard, "Leia. Leia is my sister!" I was like, huh?

totally UNLIKE my reaction to, "No. I am your father." In my heart, I knew it was true! :)

For some reason it is more believable that Darth Vader is Luke's father then Leia is his sister. She shows no real signs of having the force in her...

I always thought of it as Luke knew he had some connection to Leia he just couldn't figure out what it was. Think of her as a romantic interest made sense as he didn't know that this was his sister. Even when he saw her in the hologram for the first time he felt something.

About them being different well I always thought that they were very similar but that their up brings had been so different. They each held a strength and a desire to help people they just went about it different ways. They both also seemed like a mix of their parents in looks and traits.

I don't think Lucas had all of it planned out when he wrote the first one, otherwise there would have been no kiss.

And according to the EU Leia does indeed have the Force.

You know, I'm going to say it. Incest is a taboo because such unions produce defective children. If the twins live in a galaxy spanning Empire, surely they can get genetherapy, or produce their children in a lab so they'll be no defects. And if that's the case, there's NO REASON for them not to get togther should they wish it. I know the twins thing was a ploy to make sure Leia ended up with Han, but you know what I wish she woulda gone with Luke, even if she knew the truth. And if they did, more power to them, it certainly would have made Return of the Jedi a lot more interesting.

And who are we to judge? If this sosciety tolerates homosexuals on any level, what is so degenerate about brother-sister incest?

And who are we to judge? If this sosciety tolerates homosexuals on any level, what is so degenerate about brother-sister incest?
*Ahem* Nothing like starting a little heat in this section. For starters our society is made up of all kinds of people, including those who are homosexuals. I'm not homosexual but I'm offended by your comment. There are no different levels of tolerance when it comes to people of our society. We should be a respector of all people except those who aren't respectors of others.

I do agree that the twins idea wasa ploy to make sure Leia ended up with Han... but in reality, Luke couldn't take Leia regardless. When you study the Force, then you love no one. He couldn't be with Leia and become a Jedi at the same time... Look what happen to his father.

Sorry, I didn't mean to step on any toes, its just that condemation of homosexuals and incestous people come from the same source, the Bible, and if we ingnore one mandate, why not ignore the other? Because both cases can be made from a personal freedom standpoint.

Besides, if anything, the prequels show just how DAMAGING asceticism is to people and the need to love others. After all, with that love, there would be no Luke to redeem Vader and Vader probably would have turned anyway because of his powerlust.

its just that condemation of homosexuals and incestous people come from the same source, the Bible,
Not that I want to get into a religious discussion here... but the bible condemned eating pork too! Does it make it wrong that I had pork chops last night for dinner? I think not. As far as comparing homosexuality to incest you are comparing apples to oranges. They are not the same thing. And it's not about mandating one thing or another. I would love to see the first person who would mandate that I not eat pork. ;)

In other words... Many of us don't live by the bible's word. There are more Muslims in this world then there are Christians and they don't live by the bible's word. Although, I'm sure they may have some relating restrictions in guidelines as do Christians.

But back to the subject at hand... Do you think Luke and Leia are Christians and that's why they didn't persue a more intimate relationship based on their beliefs? I think not!

In fact, if I remember right, their mother is from a different universe of her own religion. (This according to the books, not the films) Does anyone know about this? I'm getting my information from a second hand source... Also, I hear she didn't die but merely returned to her own people.

Konig15 said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to step on any toes, its just that condemation of homosexuals and incestous people come from the same source, the Bible, and if we ingnore one mandate, why not ignore the other? Because both cases can be made from a personal freedom standpoint.

Actually the problem with incest that it involves a too small gene pool therefore hereditary conditions which would off been cancelled out by the "new" genes aren't. I wasn't aware it was condemned in the bible *shrugs*.

Konig15 said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to step on any toes, its just that condemation of homosexuals and incestous people come from the same source, the Bible

Someone should tell the Mormons who still practice it.;)

*Ahem* I'm Mormon and I'm not homosexual (I'm not even bi curious) nor do I practice incest. Nor does anyone I know...I think you might be confused with the polygamy (which isn't practiced anymore and hasn't since the 1800s).

Abraham's wife Sara was also his half sister. I don't think the bible condemned it too much.