Conn Iggulden

Parmenion

Again as in the Simon Scarrow thread, i cannot see Conns work mentioned anywhere.

Gates of Rome
Death of Kings
Field of Swords
God of War

all about the life of Julius Caeser...a really great series, has any one read them??

he has a new series starting in Jan about Ghengis

WOW are we reading the same books!!!

I enjoyed Conn's stuff, again he actually replied to a few of my emails. The discussion I had with his stuff was that while historically based it was way off target in accuracy. They are a nice read and a good romp in Rome...I recommend Scarrow over Iggulden though

read all of the Caesar books and the new Gengish. I was worried that maybe Conn would just reuse the same character base for caesar and tumejin but they are completey different! and now matter how much i love ancient rome, the Conquerer series is almost set to bebetter then the Emperor series already. And you can really tell Conn did his research for this new set!

yes conn actually went to mongolia and spent a month crossing the steppes at the end of winter, he had to wear many layers and cover bare skin in mutton fat to stay warm.
thats commitment to research. this is set to be his best work , have you read dangerous book for boys? great if you have kids and great to remeber your own childhood.

My two brothers are huge fans of him that they almost forced me to read him.

I have only read 100 or so pages of the first Ghengis book and i must say its clear he is very good at what he does. He really makes Tumejin come to live.

Right now i am stuck in fantasy reading frenzy but after that i plan to finish the first Ghengis book and read the ceaser series.

I read in his forum that he might write about Augustus to continue Ceaser's story with his adoptive son. I hope he does. Augustus deserves to be written in a series like this. There is enough to write about the man that made a system like the Roman Empire. Heck reading about him in wiki is interesting enough cant even imagine a series ;)

I've heard lots of good things about Wolf of the Plains, everyone I've spoken to who has read it thought it was excellent. Will be reading it soon!

feel free to pop along and have a chat with him on his forum (he is a regular on there) The website of Conn Iggulden. The Emperor Series. Julius Caesar.

also if you have kids check out the dangerous book for boys...in fact if your a big kid check it out for yourself!! all the things you did as a kid, how to build a go kart, tree house, how are clouds formed, great heroes from the past, how battles were won etc.....

I tried to start his first book on Caeser and found it tough going. He is a good writer but his research leaves a lot to be desired. The thing is, I had just finished Colleen McCulloch's Master of Rome series and found it difficult to invision the characters other than the way she wrote about them.

Im reading Gates of Rome right and enjoying it alot.

Good to see finaly what Conn is about.

Hi Connaver,

Read the Masters of Rome series first. It hits the nail on the head about Rome. Igullden is Hollywood and not worth a damn when it comes to relating what happened.

I could careless about 100% historical accuracy. I think Conn is great.

Sure i might like Masters of Rome but Conn's Rome is very interesting.

I dont care much for political stuff and historical accuaracy i had read about that enough in school on my own and documentaries.

I like Conn's Rome the reason i adored the HBO tv Show Rome. It shows the world of all Romans slave,nobles etc. Thats what i want a story in their world, not Historical Fiction that read like a bio about some famous Rome and his days.

Your first post about Conn annoyed me. Why compare him to someone else? Maybe we like him just the way he is. This new even more.

If you dont like his Rome sure i can understand it but dont act like this about it to us who likes him.

Just like Simon Scarrow said when i read his notes in the end of Young Bloods, he had to change alittle parts of story to make A FICTION story in that part of history. Its about Fiction first and foremost the rest is bonus.

i would join in this with something new...but connavar covered it perfectly...this is fiction.
the masters of rome series is good and i take nothing away from the author...but the pace can be a little dull and over written at times. Authors like iggulden and scarrow, they dont wast pages of text on things that dont matter, they keep a fast paced action packed plot...and thats the huge difference.

eg match it to fantasy...gemmell wasted not 1 word, but kept a perfect fast paced plot...where as tolkien...well the guy could waffle for england...he was a gold medalist at pages of un needed waffle...but both authors are great in their own right.

By my nickname you can see which type i like most ;)

Haha i was reading in wiki about Marius,Sulla just to referesh my mind on them and they mentioned Conn's Gates of Rome :p

Hmm the thing beteween Marius and Sulla arent changed so much in the book.

I understand your points, guys. This is a thread about Conn Iggulden and I was expressing a point about his Roman books. I agree that historical fiction does not have to be accurate to be good. But I felt with Iggulden, unlike Scarrow, that he failed to give the world of the Romans a proper context. Wrong word there probably.

That's just my opinion and I did not mean to insult anyone.

You could have put it this way earlier ;)

Then we would have understand.

Scarrow is good but he isnt as good as Conn at writing HF. Prose,characters,action,world wise etc

He is still good enough to read.

svalbard vbmenu_register("postmenu_885312", true); : no one is insulted, we all like a good debate.

I tell you what, go buy or borrow from the library Wolf of the plains by Iggulden and tell me if you enjoy that...its a really good read.

also if you like scarrow have you read simons Wellington / napoleon series? its fantastic.

Also if you like a thriller, try Alex Scarrow (yes its his brother) last year he wrote A thousand suns which is really good, and tomorrow he has Last light due out...if you want details of the books let me know and i will post them

Conn even said in one book that he has taken liberties with time and space to make the story flow and begged forgiveness of Caeser historians... I forgave him and loved the series.

As for Simon. Two different writters on the same subject, that being Rome. Both have made fantastic worlds.

After having finished Gates of Rome, i could carless of the little stuff he changed. He had to almost since Ceasar early years not much are known heck they are not even sure when he was born :p The rest he had to shorten and change alittle cause the series isnt about the many years that Marius and Sulla fought for power.

I loved the first book of emperor. Many great characters. Gauis,Marius,Marcus,Rieus(sp?),Sulla,Cabera,Tudruk etc I liked Marius,Sulla so much that i have to read other series where you see more of thier conflict.

Parmenion: I liked Young Bloods, still hoping someone wakes up Scarrow thread.

Im also reading Under The Eagle right now and liking it.