Sci-fi Comedies

Has anyone mentioned Futurama...I reckon that's funnier than ANYTHING,sci-fi or not...EVER.
I'm not a fan of comedy sci-fi usually,but there are several notable exceptions,most of Jack Vance's work is hilarious I think...Moorcock,especially the 'Dancers at The End of Time' and 'Jerry Cornelius' ones,have you read those? Who could forget Bishop Beazley?? :p:mad::eek::(;)

Futurama lol, actually I think it should be mentioned, it's definately a show which deserves a watch and to give it credit it is funny =]

Oh what the heck, Space Captain Smith and sequels by me. The intended audience - also me - enjoyed them a lot.

Sigh. The longer I stay in this writing game, the more shameless I become.

Interestingly enough, I noticed this thread was started by a poster saying he wanted another book like The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy. No only did I love those books (and hated the movie) but I trying to channel Douglas Adams for a project I'm working on. It's not SciFi, but I definately think about his style when writing it.

Since this thread was started, Eoin Colfer has written a Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy sequel: And Another Thing. In spite of my misgivings, the book won me over.

(And I second Toby Frost's shameless plugging. Those three books of his are very funny.)

Yeah, i've got to admit that i was quite pleasantly surprised by Eoin's offering. Still, i don't think that he got away from his young adult style of writing. That said, i do hope that there are further releases.

Oh what the heck, Space Captain Smith and sequels by me. The intended audience - also me - enjoyed them a lot.

Sigh. The longer I stay in this writing game, the more shameless I become.

Well it looks like you have one or two fans on this forum at least

Has anyone mentioned Futurama...I reckon that's funnier than ANYTHING,sci-fi or not...EVER.
I'm not a fan of comedy sci-fi usually,but there are several notable exceptions,most of Jack Vance's work is hilarious I think...Moorcock,especially the 'Dancers at The End of Time' and 'Jerry Cornelius' ones,have you read those? Who could forget Bishop Beazley??
"]
128867222100695019.jpg

Oh my , Futurama really is funny

Haven't read it myself but the plot --a robot that seeks sexual relations with cars--stuck in the mind, especially with the title:
"Machine Screw."

I have only seen the comics but MythAdventures has some good humor. I.e. Aahz (from the dimension of Perv).

The First Bill (the Galactic Hero) Book is very good but the later ones get very desperate very quickly (I'm not even sure Harrison wrote the later ones). I can thoroughly recommend his Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers - if I haven't already - which is a rip-roaring pastiche / parody of E E 'Doc' Smith frenetic outpourings.

Charles G Finney's the Unholy City makes me laugh too.

The High Crusade by Poul Anderson is quite funny :D
The Stainless Steel Rat by harry Harrison
Callahan's Crosstime Saloon by Spider Robinson

That was hysterical the first time I read it.

Bill the Galactic Hero has been mentioned half a dozen times in this thread.

2006? Somebody's archeology bump needs scratching?

The Stainless Steel Rat by harry Harrison
Callahan's Crosstime Saloon by Spider Robinson
I didn’t see Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon as a comedy really.

I vaguely remember reading a book by Peter Jurasik called "Diplomatic Act" which was quite funny. An obvious cash in on his B5 character.

Diplomatic Act.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave General TV Discussion 28