Question about symbolism in the movie

epicfantasy7

Love classical guitar and making miniature diorama
I have a question.

When Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) finally meets his maker he kills him by stabbing his thumbs into the man's eyes. I have always had the feeling that there was some sybolism hidden in that gesture. Anybody have an insight into this? Or am I reading too much into this? Although, with this film it is very difficult to read to much into it. It seems like there is symbolism wrapped within symbolism and hidden in a symbol in this movie. :)

epicfantasy7 said:
I have a question.

When Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) finally meets his maker he kills him by stabbing his thumbs into the man's eyes. I have always had the feeling that there was some sybolism hidden in that gesture. Anybody have an insight into this? Or am I reading too much into this? Although, with this film it is very difficult to read to much into it. It seems like there is symbolism wrapped within symbolism and hidden in a symbol in this movie. :)

Bladerunner has eyeballs popping out of everwhere. It is an arch-theme for the entire movie. Personally I think this represents the "is what we see real" idea. Do androids really "see" with their eyes? Are androids real because when we see them they appear real? What is the difference between perception and reality .. does perception equal reality?

They examine the eye's to see if they are relicants. Tyrell wears thick eyeglasses (can't see him / can't see the creator). Ofcourse Roy plucks his eyes out. They find him through the eye-maker. Eyes are a portal into the soul.

You can read a full review of eye in bladerunner here.

Very interesting stuff, thanks for the read. I've been a longtime fan of the film and I agree it is open to countless interpretations.

Sorry for bumping old threads but the symbolism I saw from that scene is just a representation of what humans might do to God if a mortal human were to ever meet God in person... Roy took the life of his maker to spite him for only engineering Replicants to live 4 years, Tyrell gifted Replicants with life, but with such a limited lifespan... not only for commerce (replicants live less, more replicants built = more $$$) but because it makes it very hard for the Replicants to subdue it's masters, humankind. So Roy took what God has gifted every living organism (including Replicants via Eldon Tyrell) from Tyrell... which is life, by killing Tyrell, Roy was merely serving justice for Tyrell's intentional defective genetic code of the Replicants which only allowed them 4 year lifespans.