Post counts

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Brian Turner, Aug 17, 2006.

Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Firstly, terribly sorry about this - in rebuilding the statistics of the forum, it appears that postcounts have decreased overall.

I honestly have no idea why postcounts should have fallen so much - I really would have expected everyone's post counts to have stayed relatively similar. But, it seems that everyone's seen a significant drop.

Anyway, apologies again for the loss of post count totals - no idea why it's happened like this, but if it's any consolation, the worst of the forums merger appears to be over, and I don't see any further hiccups taking place.
    Adasunshine

Adasunshine Everything in Moderation

Hmm, I don't seem to have lost any...

BTW, are the new Ascifi members subject to the "Chronicles" post count now? You know, with the posts made in General areas not being counted or will their way of counting posts remain the same?

So many iddy biddy bits to sort out - I don't envy you! :(

xx
    Status

Status Master Confusser

I hope I'm asking this in the right place... speaking of post counts?

Does it tell anywhere (I can't seem to find it) what areas count and don't count. I must be posting in the wrong places cause my count has stayed the same since getting here. *blushes*

EDITED: Thanks for answering my question before I got it posted. You are good over here. rofl
    Princess Ivy

Princess Ivy Damsel in this dress

ahem, i seem to have lost a heck of a lot here.
    almost newbie status again
    Brian Turner

Posts are counted in the science fiction & fantasy areas, rather than the general chat and off-topic discussion areas.

Posts counted here:
    Books & Writing
    Film & TV
    Science Fiction & Fantasy

These are the boards were posts aren't counted:
    General
    Discussion

The reason for this set-up is simply to emphasis that we're a SFF community.

No idea why there's been a significant drop in postcounts overall, though - I didn't expect that.

Just to note as well - the same applied to all members - but in case anyone's wondering why many Ascifi members have high post counts, it's simply that Ascifi was a bigger board - twice the size of chronicles in fact - so it's not surprising that core members from Ascifi will still have relatively post counts even with the forum statistics having been rebuilt.
    cornelius

cornelius former axe demon

do post come with status? i don't think postcounts mather all that much, or do they?
    Status

Status Master Confusser

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon, I've now lost more than half my post count, in addtion to all my cute little aliens. :( *sigh* *crying*

Thank you Brian for the heads up.
    Brian Turner

I think most people use postcounts as an indication of their contribution to a community, and I certainly wouldn't want to diminish anyone's post count intentionally - I know it can seem like a person's sense of contribution has been devalued, which really isn't the case

Status, I'm genuinely sorry you've seen a fall, too, but if it's any consolation, many of us have, too - mine just halved, which is puzzling, because I rarely post in general areas either.

Overall, I'd rather not try and attempt to boost the post counts again, because judging by what's happened, we could well see another fall, and I'd rather not let that happen!!

ADDED: I'm not promising anything, but Chris did ask if I could import the little aliens, and I will try. :)
    Joel007

Joel007 Shiny! Let's be bad guys.

Can you configure my post count to have a minus sign in front of it? I want to generate the impression that I'm a troublemaker and it sounds like you're the man with the postcounter!
    Brian Turner

I think it's best if I don't touch anything remotely related to post counts for quite some time. :)
    Status

Status Master Confusser

I think you have a good idea there, Brian! ROFL
    kyektulu

kyektulu White Wolf

My post count has gone by about 900...
    and I worked so hard being a multiple spammer... lol kidding... :p

I will work them back up....

Any chance of all threads having post counts on Brian hun? ;)
    Highlander II

Highlander II There can be only one!! Staff Member

I hadn't noticed it until I peeked at the member list and saw that ASciFiDave jumped to the top - made me go "huh?" - but now I get it.

Though - when I was poking around, it looked like some of the old stuff that got merged over seemed to have disappeared.
    Brian Turner

I have to admit, the forums merger wasn't entirely smooth, and there are a fewer technical issues I don't think I'm going to be able to correct.

For example, there's a few threads and polls that have gotten mixed up, and don't make sense. But I'd rather cut our losses on these than go through the whole forums merger thing again. :)
    Paige Turner

Paige Turner Just another busted robot

While having to cope with nonsensical posts is, of course, a severe burden for me, personally, I think we can endeavour to persevere. Thanks for all the hard work, Brian.
    Highlander II

Highlander II There can be only one!! Staff Member

Hey - it all looks pretty good from what I can see! Granted, I don't know what this board looked like pre-merger, but it doesn't appear that merging the two boards was too 'ugly' on the front end. Now - behind the scenes - I'm sure that's a whole OTHER story and don't even want to try to go there! :)
    Brian Turner

You're not kidding - I had to abort the first merger attempt because there were too many technical problems. :)
    scalem X

scalem X I am, the scallywag

aha an explanation. Yeah post counts halved. This way I'll never get a 1000:rolleyes:
    Probably payback for all my off-topic insane chainsaw containing sarcastic posts.

I always thought that one day I'd be banned to the humour section, but there is a plan for all of us (mine was used as firewood when I was a kid so I just wonder through life now, doing nothing).:D
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Well, you're welcome to some of my post count. I don't want to be top. It is a sign of too many mis-spent evenings, even if most were some time ago now. Up until now, I always had the buffer of Asmiley being 5000 posts ahead of me.
    littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

I hadn't even noticed until I looked into this thread...my posts are down by just about half as well. No big, though...as far as I'm concerned, it isn't a competition.:)