Vote for your book

Discussion in 'Book Club' started by dwndrgn, Oct 1, 2004.

?

Which one?

1. The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. High Society, Ben Elton

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Hothouse, Brian Aldiss

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. A Game of Thrones, G. R. R. Martin

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  5. The Man Who Folded Himself, David Gerrold

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Rhapsody, Elizabeth Haydon

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
    dwndrgn

dwndrgn Fierce Vowelless One Staff Member

Vote for October's read.

I know we're late but three hurricanes have hit my house in the past six weeks so give me a break already :D

I've included the first six suggestions in the order that they were suggested for fairness. The next five suggestions will be the start of November's choice list.
    Princess Ivy

Princess Ivy Damsel in this dress

George RR Martin, as its the only name i know and haven't read.:)
    Silk

Silk As smooth as...

This might be a stupid question but I assume if A Song of Ice and Fire is chosen we'd be starting with the first book and not the whole thing?
    Rane Longfox

Rane Longfox Red Rane

Urm, when you say "A song of Ice and Fire", are we voting to read the entire series so far, or just "A game of thrones"? quite an important difference, I must hang fire on my vote till I find out;)

edit: posted at the same time as Silk... lol
    Jayaprakash Satyamurthy

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy Knivesout no more

That's a highly sensible question, and I trust dwndrgn will not mind that I am changing the poll to say 'A Game of Thrones'. :)
    Silk

Silk As smooth as...

I'm very glad, Caladanbrood and Knivesout, that you had the same train of thought as me!

I thought I was being quite dense and that this was something everyone would already know about:p

Cheers
    Princess Ivy

looks like i'm the only dense one out there, but i hate just reading one book in a series.
    Jayaprakash Satyamurthy

Princess Ivy, there are three books in the series as of now: the other two being A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords. I figure discussing book one would make some sense on its own, and also that the three books taken together are far too long to read in a month. I'm actually reading 'Game' right now, and it has quite a bit in it worth talking about, although I actually voted for the Ben Elton book because a friend has been recommending it to me very strongly. I reckon Martin will anyway, which is also fine by me. :)
    polymorphikos

polymorphikos Scrofulous Fig-Merchant

I'm voting for hothouse, if only because I really think it's an awesome book. However, I've been meaning to read Martin for a while, so I'm non-plused.
    Jayaprakash Satyamurthy

I waaaant to read Hothouse, but I've stopped voting for books I haven't yet seen in the shelves here. :(
    Kassad

Kassad Part time Al Qaeda member

Don't know any of these books, still I vote for the dog, althought 'hothouse' and 'high society' are very tempting.
    dwndrgn

Thanks guys for being sensible. I wasn't even thinking about the actual book title. Yes, only the first book would be discussed if it gets picked (as it looks like it will). Thanks for fixing it for me JP. I actually hesitated about including it because it is a large book and so many members have already read it. I'm glad I left it in as it looks to be the popular choice! I haven't read it in a while so it might be fun to revisit. Keep voting!
    erickad71

erickad71 truth shall set you free

I voted for Martin's book also. I think it works fine as a stand alone. I'd gush over it some more, but I will spare you that.;)
    littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

Once again, I betrayed my own suggestion (although I see that someone has voted for it) and voted for Martin's book. I know I can get hold of it, in addition to the fact that I started it a while back and liked what I read but had to abandon it for some now obscure reason. Still, the same question ran through my head (series vs. first book) when I voted for it when the poll was first posted. It looks like it is winning, at any rate.
    LadyFel

LadyFel New Member

Voted for Martin, finally something I can take part in, I couldn't get my hands on any of the books so far...:(
    Beregond

Beregond The Balrog

I omly know who one of those people are.
    dwndrgn

Welcome to the Chronicles network, Beregond! And as far as knowing the authors, that is one of the fun things about book clubs, you get to find out about books and authors you may not have encountered otherwise. That happened to me only a couple of months ago! I read and enjoyed The Wood Wife by Terri Windling. It wasn't one of the chosen books but was suggested with a good recommendation and I was then introduced to a book I probably wouldn't have ever picked up. Good times, book clubs :)
    dwndrgn

Our clear winner for October is A Game of Thrones by Martin. If you'd like to participate in the discussion, please beg, borrow or buy (I couldn't say steal, now could I? :) ) a copy of the book and plow in. It is a long one so you'll want to get started as soon as possible unless you tend to devour books in a matter of hours like I do.

Enjoy!
    Princess Ivy

I'm making good with the library (books in, but have to pay the fine), then its hey ho, and off i go:)
    Rane Longfox

Rane Longfox Red Rane

Hmm, not sure If I'll be able to read this along with the others I'm trying to get through... will attempt to make room though :)