2.14: Grace Under Pressure

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
In the Seventh Season SG-1 episode 'Grace', Sam Carter was knocked unconcious and awoke to find herself alone on the Prometheus and experienced strange things.

In 'Grace Under Pressure' Rodney McKay is knocked unconcious on a Puddle Jumper and awakes to find himself alone and experiences strange things.

Someone must have had that idea after a whole five minutes and congratulated themselves. I would expect more from fanfiction writers. Actually maybe they were shippy fanfiction writers because what he experiences in his hallucinations are his unrequited love interest - Sam Carter - in a wet bra and pants.

Some are going to say that it was a great chance for Rodney to do his thing, and there are some great funny moments, but Rodney has done his thing in a number of episodes now and when I last looked it is still Stargate Atlantis, not the Rodney McKay Comedy Show.

Some are going to say that it was great to see the Puddle Jumpers under water - they can go to 1,200 feet underwater and at least 27 atmospheres - to those I would ask isn't it about time? Atlantis is built on what is practically a Waterworld, and the city is designed to submerge. There must be a reason for that. It cannot be a coincidence. Yet by not exploring under water they have left 99% of the planet unexplored.

I enjoyed seeing Rodney do his thing, but it doesn't make up for the actual premise of the story. Everyone knew he wasn't ever going to die so the story has no tension. Anyway, someone being stuck on/in a sinking boat/submarine/lifeboat/spaceship is a very tired old formulae, and they actually used almost all the clichéd things that could happen.

One thing they didn't use, but that I was waiting for was how they would manage to re-surface in the 30 minutes of power they had left without getting the Bends, but I guess the working Puddle Jumper's life support can handle the decompression. I expect that would take a lot of power though.

I also noted straight off that this was a repaired Puddle Jumper that was destroyed. So, they didn't lose another one this week, but they do need to do more work on how to repair them correctly.

Fortunately I was never a big follower of SG1, so it was a great chance for McKay to do his thing- at least he has a thing to do it with. Though Enterprise IMHO did it rather better.

And if the jumper can get down to 1200 feet then it can manage 37 atmospheres.
But the bends should not be a problem, the atmosphere in the jumper was little more than normal (Rodney's ears weren't bleeding).

Originally posted by ray gower
But the bends should not be a problem, the atmosphere in the jumper was little more than normal (Rodney's ears weren't bleeding).
No way I am an expert on this subject, but he walked between Jumpers under the shield. How can the shield alone resist pressure. Also, I wasn't sure if the hallucinations were due to Nitrogen narcosis, it was made clear, but the head injury didn't seem that severe.

Originally posted by Dave
No way I am an expert on this subject, but he walked between Jumpers under the shield. How can the shield alone resist pressure. Also, I wasn't sure if the hallucinations were due to Nitrogen narcosis, it was made clear, but the head injury didn't seem that severe.
Not a great deal of diving expertise at this end.

But it occurs to me Her Majesties submarines bob up and down from depths of 1000 feet without problems. As far as I know there is no special mixes for the air it is maintained at slightly over one atmosphere.

Also know that if one forgets to go up again, they tend not to worry too much about Nitrogen Narcosis, as it comes after all the other side effects caused by rapid pressurisation. As his jumper was filling up he should have shown physical signs of this other than getting wet?
(Highly recommend the rather ghoulish tour around HMS Alliance at Southsea)

As for his hallucinations, it seemed to be more due to cardon monoxide than nitrogen?

Always wary of claims for spaceships going under water anyhow. There really is a big engineering difference between keeping things in and keeping things out. But the shields are probably the least weak plot hole. If they can absorb point impacts equivalent of many tonnes, then they ought to withstand much higher distributed loads?

If you say so then, I'll have to fold. I can't argue with something I have no knowledge about. Anyway, it's science fiction! I have no idea how shields work, and even they have now idea how all the Ancients technology in the Puddle Jumpers work. That should not be an excuse for lazy writing though.

I've not heard of HMS Alliance, I've been on a submarine in the Dockyard at Portsmouth before, but I think it was only a temporary exhibit there. Is Alliance at the RN submarine museum in Gosport? I can't think where it could be in Southsea.

Sorry, yes Gosport is the place. Wouldn't take younger children around.

Gone a little deeper into the Narcosis problem and it gets very complicated.

Broadly Narcosis can set in at 3 bar (About 100 feet). At 10 bar your ear drums explode and at 20 bar (600 feet), the oxygen becomes poisonous. All in all quite unhealthy.

The reason why divers worry about it is that the pressure of water is directly on them.

But for Rodders in his submarine jumper, it would depend on the pressure of air in the cabin. Viz if the cabin is half full (assuming no air escape) it would be about 2 bar which is no problem. Of course they spoiled it by filling the thing with water, which makes it total hokum.

Well 10 out of 10 just for having Amanda Tapping not only in a low cut top but also wet bra scene HI KARUMBA!!!!!

Anyway, a decent repraisal of the SG1 episode "Grace" when Sam is stuck on the Prometheus and faces the same challenges etc.

A decent Ep but the bra scene should of been longer and maybe a smaller bra next time...and maybe some oil...and a "cough" Ill shut up now!!!

A great episode, I really enjoy it. It was a good Mckay episode. Also it was good to see that Mckay have to depend of Zelenka to get of this problem. It was interesting the thing with the "alien whale". And the thing with Mckay and imagining Sam was just hilarious.

Krystal :p