Which was The Saddest Star Trek Episode?

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Which was The Saddest Star Trek Episode?

Any that had you in tears?

My attempt to boost posts in this forum.

I'd probably go for 'The Siege of AR-558'. Even though no major characters died, I think it made it's point.

But there are plenty of other examples.

I'm not sure if any Trek episode has made me feel extremely sad, but TNG's Yesterday's Enterprise made me start journaling (or keep a diary) for a few years.

Why? I'm not exactly sure, but it made quite an impact.

I can think of two that are worth considering.

T'Pot's baby from Enterprise (Terra Prime)
and The Menagerie from TOS.

Terra Prime is obvious, babies dieing always catches the throat.

But The Menagerie needs a little explanation. On one side we have Captain Pike, a formerly active chap, who is suddenly incapacitated and restricted to a bath chair and unable to do more than flash a odd light for yes and no. The sight of him folornly flashing 'No' ought to catch something, especially when compared with the final sight of him cavorting with a young woman who you know was put together wrong from a much earlier episode.
But we also have Spock himself, who is prepared to effectively destroy his whole career, gambling on 'saving' his former commander.

The final episode of Enterprise "These are the Voyagers". I had to really try to remember the name as it was so forgetable. What a tragic end to a good season that began to deliver what Enterprise was supposed to deliver in season 1. Jumping forward all those years, killing of Trip when everyone though he and T'Pol would get together. Should have just ended it with the second last episode of the series. If it is the last episode of Trek then it truly is a tragedy.

Not any particular episode but certain moments were a bit heart-wrenching.

1. Tasha Yar's funeral (Skin of Evil)
2. Picard becoming very emotional when recalling his recent assimilation (Family)
3. Benjamin Sisko and Jake reunited then forced to be apart again (The Visitor)
4. Jadzia Dax's death - and Sisko's speech before he leaves DS9 (Tears of the Prophets)
5. The scene in Vic's lounge at the very end of DS9 (What You Leave Behind)

One of the saddest episodes in TNG was the ep where Picard lived a whole life due to that probe and then awoke to find out that the people had been dead for a very long time...

In Voyager the episode where Kes has that time problem and she marries Tom and they have a daughter...

The original series, "The City on the Edge of Forever" Where Kirk, Spock and McCoy go back in time and Joan Collins has to die for history to be restored. Kirk falls in love with her but has to stop McCoy from saving her life. That's the first time I heard the word "hell" on TV. Kirks last words were. "Let's get the hell out of here."

carrie221 said:
One of the saddest episodes in TNG was the ep where Picard lived a whole life due to that probe and then awoke to find out that the people had been dead for a very long time...
Yes, "The Inner Light" - very moving.
"Skin of Evil" did it for me though - had baaaaad lump in the throat by the end of that one.

"City on the Edge of Forever."

Still get a lump in my throat when Kirk stops McCoy.

You know until i read this and started thinking about it there were a lot of sad episodes. Geordi's mom dies and he goes into denile. data has a daughter and she dies. Tasha is killed brutally. Capt. picard's nephew dies and he deals with the end of his family line. Worf loses both his brother and his wife as well as the woman who he loved and bore his child. Deana has a child and loses him. Sisko deals with the death of his wife for quite sometime. man that show was depressing at times.

peace

The Trouble with Tribbles. I wept like the sixteen year old girl that didn't get invited to the big party.

Poor furry little things.

The Inner Light always brings a lump to the throat, and the final scene in AllGood Things where Picard joins the poker table. Top acting

Quite a few of them have made my cry, most of them included above.

When Jean-Luc is captured by the Borg and there is that one tear as he is being assimilated.......*sniff*

The one that really did it and it still brings a tear when I think about it was when Jadzia died.......It took me ages to get over that one.:( :(

I still have problems with Jadzia - see her in Becker. Now that does make me cry (red hot knitting needles come to mind). The episode where Nog loses a leg and Vic has to sort him out. Some of the best acting was in that series too.

I was really surprised when they killed off Dukat's daughter (not sure how to spell her name), and I was really ANNOYED when they bumped off Trip in Enterprise.

I'm not sure about sad exactly, but the episode where Picard enters into a mind meld with Sarek to lend him some stability for peace talks had an effect on me. I think about that episode when I'm admiring his acting abilities :)

There have been a few moments when characters have been upset or affected by something and the sheer quality of the acting has a similar effect on the audience.

Sisko's speech to Jadzia's dead body (torpedo tube)
Janeway's funeral in "Coda"
Tasha's holographic message in "Skin of Evil"
The whole "Visitor" episode in DS9 - one of the best Avery Brooks performances ever - the three Jakes were pretty damn good too.

I was devesated when Trip died. I don't know the date. But the last Archer enterprise episode.

I have to agree about the DS9 episode 'The Visitor'. Star Trek doesn't often get me choked but the whole episode gives you a very painful lump in the back of the throat. Fabulously acted.