Third Season Confirmed

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I've not seen any of the Second Season yet, but if this is true it must be pretty good:
from Hailing Frequencies #310

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

First Ron Moore hinted, now SyFy Portal is claiming that Battlestar Galactica has already been approved for a third season on SCI FI Channel. This won't be confirmed either way by SCI FI, most likely, until the current season has a few more notches, but...seriously. Can there be any real doubt, here?

Great news!

So far, we've seen 7 episodes of Season 2 and it's great. I used to be a huge fan of Stargate SG-1 but it bores the heck out of me these days, without Jack on the show. Plus, I don't like the new protagonists. Atlantis...snore! Then Enterprise was cancelled. Battlestar Galactica fills a big gap in my nerdy life...it's the epitome of good sci fi TV. I'm really glad that there will be another season.

Having the blessing of torrents I have been watching the new BSG and while it started off very strong there have been a few plot/character glitches.

However a third series GREAT!! but it will require creating writing to keep the current story inspired without it becoming star trekish.

Ranger

SPOILER WARNING

SPOILER WARNING
Hailing Frequncies #311 says that IGNFilmForce reports on an interview in Now Playing with Ron Moore:

"We're sort of looking into larger story arcs as to where the series is ultimately going, and we are talking about what season three would be. We've had preliminary discussions about conceptually what we want the third season to reflect and how we would approach it."
"It was interesting taking somebody whose life was defined by that role – that [Starbuck is] a fighter pilot – and then to take that away from her and see what happens," said Moore in reference to Starbuck's injuries that left her off the pilot rotation for several episodes. "There was a definite decision, that we were going to live with our wounds, live with damage, that we were going to play the aftermath of what happens. You know, Adama was shot in the last episode of the [first] season and he [wasn't] back for a few episodes this year. And even when he is, he's a changed man. It has repercussions. He took a very heavy hit and it was touch and go. It changes who the man is. Not in the philosophical way, but in how he experiences life and how he will go through it. It shook him."

My opinion of the 2nd season is this: it just dismayed me with the lack of thought and logic. The word that sums up many of the problems is emotion. Way too much, so much so, there appears to be an absense of rational thought. For instance....lose a pilot everyone likes (main character)....send the whole fleet and use valuable resources to save them! Send everything you got! No matter what the cost! Wait if you're a disposable character....we'll just sacrifice you and your ship, and maybe everyone that lives in the ship for the sake of it - because it's the right thing to do! Since when?! These sorts of conflicting judgement calls throughout the series irritate me to no end. It's like you want to like the show like you would say, Survivor, but the banality of it all just ends up turning you away.

Starbuck, who I liked initially, became more and more, a dislikeable character due to her selfishness, and stupidity. Quite to opposite of Lee Adama, who I really didn't like much, but became a more selfless and real character.

Since when does it make sense to make missions to save a handfull of people, when you are risking much more with trained pilots, and equipment in jeapordy. I have to say this isn't something that occurs in just one episode, but in many, and I just have to say as someone who was in the military, the "military" minds of Galactica seem to have been lost.

For instance....why in the hell would humans believe anything the cylons say? I can't count the number of times they take the cylons for granted, and just assume everything will be ok and nothing can happen to them. You would think a people targeted for extinction without predjudice would be a little more cautious and careful of what they were doing....but oh no, not the humans of the colonies!

Why would the humans ever want to stop running given whose after them, and has targeted them for extinction. Why are they even targeted for extinction and pursued with such veracity? It's never really been explained
in any logical way. Are humans a threat to the cylons? No. Are they competing for resources ? No. Are they competing for planets? No. Could they live completly separate lives? Yes.
So why do they even care so much? It's illogical.

How I've felt about the series since season 1 have changed drastically, so hopefully in season 3 they can turn it around, though I don't know how now....they just dove off the edge of insanity in the finale.

I haven't seen even half Season 2 yet; in fact I'm just about to watch the resurrection ship two parter, but you make some good points:
Originally posted by Stargod
Starbuck, who I liked initially, became more and more, a dislikeable character due to her selfishness, and stupidity. Quite to opposite of Lee Adama, who I really didn't like much, but became a more selfless and real character.
Yes, I feel like that too.
Why would the humans ever want to stop running given whose after them, and has targeted them for extinction. Why are they even targeted for extinction and pursued with such veracity? It's never really been explained
in any logical way. Are humans a threat to the cylons? No. Are they competing for resources ? No. Are they competing for planets? No. Could they live completly separate lives? Yes.
So why do they even care so much? It's illogical.
In the original series the Cylons were the pawns of a deranged human - Baltar. Here, they don't have that excuse. If it wasn't for their obsession on exterminating the last remaining humans then I would happily let them take over and allow the remaining humans to kill each other themselves. That seems to be what they are best at. Ray Gower has asked similar questions in the 'Who are the Bad guys?' thread.

Originally posted by Dave
I haven't seen even half Season 2 yet; in fact I'm just about to watch the resurrection ship two parter, but you make some good points:Yes, I feel like that too. In the original series the Cylons were the pawns of a deranged human - Baltar. Here, they don't have that excuse. If it wasn't for their obsession on exterminating the last remaining humans then I would happily let them take over and allow the remaining humans to kill each other themselves. That seems to be what they are best at. Ray Gower has asked similar questions in the 'Who are the Bad guys?' thread.

I admit, that is a good question, why would they not just let the humans alone to their own destruction? They have an entire universe to explore, one that is infintely large, why bother as sapient beings to bother another sapient race whose numbers they've winnowed away to near nothingness? They obviously are rational and feeling beings, so why should they even attempt something that borderlines on hatred? Hatred of what? They hate their creators? If, as they have claimed, to be more enlightened, then why would they bother and waste their energy on such a triffle?

I guess watching the show as it is currently requires me to throw most of my good sense out the window, in lieu of enjoying someones irrational view of human kind. I just can't bring myself to do that. If the show didn't take itself so seriously I could be more forgiving, but it does. On the other hand, shows like Doctor Who don't, and I find them quite more enjoyable, especially when diving into topics like human nature, which the show skirts in lieu of taking ahold of it completly.

After watching the last episode of S2 and it has been a repeat of the ending fo S1.

So many loose threads open!! I never saw this asI never saw Adama taking 2 shots to the chest LOL!

However I reckon S3 will be make or break for this new concept.

Ranger

Repeat of a concept....but not a repeat of magnitude. I would say the magnitude of difference leapt a couple notches with the end of Season 3.

Where in Season 2, the finally left you very simply with the fate of the fleet command structure, that being either Adama or Caine, Season 3 leaves you in a much more dire situation that I have to say doesn't even come close to Season 2 in ramifications. Even so, at least Season 2's finale made sense...conflicting leaders vying for control, with different moral and ethical backgrounds. Where was that ethical and moral judgement in Season 3? Thrown out the window....

Now, I'm kind of wishing Caine had won and taken the fleet...

To quote Aliens, "We're Screwed, Game Over Man!"

mate there have only been 2 seasons (not counting the mini) its becuase you get it split, we dont!!

Anyway the two main pegasus episodes aired tonight in the UK and they are the best out of the entire series 2.

To clarify:

Season 1 <= Pegasas and Season 2 > Pegasus iff you live in the US.

And I agree, they were some of the better episodes in the series. I wasn't stating that they were bad because they were magnitudes less dramatic in concept, far from it.

It's like the difference between having some Marimate on your toast, versus sticking your whole hand in the jar and globing hoards of it into your mouth. It's great in moderation, but disgusting if done in a glutenous manner. All I can say is wait and see!

To clarify:

Season 1 <= Pegasas and Season 2 > Pegasus iff you live in the US.
Confused!! There are about 10 episodes od S2 following Pegasus that haven't aired yet in the UK. By S3 I meant (and Ron Moore I thought) episodes that have yet to be made.

I'm putting things in term of US episodes that have been seen thus far....

So you have:

Initial Movie

Season 1 : Everying after up to Pegasus
Season 2: Everything up to New Caprica
Season 3: TBD

Star your way out!! Your talking about Season 2 alone!

:) Oh and be careful of spoilers for the UK non torrent Fans

Yeah, I'm trying to stay as general as I possibly can without giving much away. :)

But of course, if you're in the UK reading a post about Season 3 (U.S.), you're asking for trouble!

Yes, you are missing out the whole of Season 1 Stargod. As for spoilers, I think I take a chance reading a thread about Season 3 being made. ;)

I think what they need is more standalone episodes. The kind you get in other scifi series, not to mention the original series. This series has been well thought out and the adrenalin has certainly been pumping but it can't keep going on like it has been, raising the level each week. The humans have begun to do quite crazy and unbelievable things, and while there would be some rogues, criminals, drunks and meglomaniacs, there would be an ample number of honest, decent, sane people to prevent them doing their worst.

The stand alone character based episodes are great sometimes and horrible other times. I never gave it much thought until they spoke to it in the podcast and then I read an article in the New York Times criticizing the lull towards the end of season 2. Even Moore acknowledged many things in Black Market just didn't translate. But I guess it's just personal preference...real fans are going to be somewhat forgiving regarding a sub-par episode here and there.

Case in point...I have not missed an episode of SG-1 since I became a regular viewer.

Originally posted by Eway
I read an article in the New York Times criticizing the lull towards the end of season 2.
I've reached that point in the series now and I understand what they mean, but I think the way they raised the bar each week at the start of the season, while unsustainable, was excellent television. The destruction of the 'resurrection ship' is the explanation given for the Cylons pulling back and other means of attack are being formulated.