Elements of Season 3 unresolved

From Dave's descriptions earlier in this thread, Season 4 doesn't look too exciting. I was pleased with many aspects of Season 3 though. I did like the battles - much more realistic when a starship limps away in pieces. I also liked the moral conflicts and the not so cut and dry solutions to problems. The overall arc was good too. There were, however, eps that just seemed to be thrown in to waste time - possibly a failure in character dev.

I hope that Season 4 deals with the formation of UFP. I've read spoilers to this end. I think we should see Starfleet actually become a "fleet". Wouldn't that be nice to see? It would be interesting to explore these Eugenic War super people. It would be interesting to see the "Romulan War".

It would also be interesting to have a Human/Vulcan conflict as Nick 0208 Ldn stated. One question... in TOS, weren't the Andorrans the "bad guys"? I remember a few TOS eps where those blue guys with antennae were bad guys. If they were, then how can they be founding members of UFP?

Originally posted by gr8scott
One question... in TOS, weren't the Andorrans the "bad guys"? I remember a few TOS eps where those blue guys with antennae were bad guys. If they were, then how can they be founding members of UFP?

I think you are thinking of 'Journey to Babel' TOS. This first introduced Sarek as the Vulcan ambassador, Andorians and Tellarites. The UFP did appear to be more like the Italian parliament than the United Nations, but the Andorian who stabbed Kirk and tried to wreck the conference was not really an Andorian at all. He was found to be an Orion spy.

Manny Coto seems to know his Trek history, so some political intrigue stories, weaving threads of Andorian-Vulcan-Tellarite hostillity and Orion spies seems possible.

Originally posted by Dave
Manny Coto seems to know his Trek history, so some political intrigue stories, weaving threads of Andorian-Vulcan-Tellarite hostillity and Orion spies seems possible.

Now that would be fun to watch. Might even be able to do some natural character dev in this context - and pull it off. Still needs a good overall arc though... Am I the only one who wants the temporal war thing gone? I love big picture space operas, but this stuff is boring! Let's leave time travel to Dr. Who. They're the only ones who made it fun.

Edit: We need a GOOD explanation why the temporal war wasn't seen during any of the other time periods - TOS, SNG, DS9, Voy. Enemies of UFP should be just as eager to destroy say, the Klingon/Federation alliance, etc (since that could also destroy the Federation). OR tamper with the Borg wars... but we see nothing. Since time travel is naturally non-linear, we need a non-linear explanation: Why only pre-UFP time frame?

:eek: :rolleyes: :p
Dave, I swear... you have no sense of humor.

Just kidding!

How about if Shran kidnaps Hoshi, paints her blue, and forces her to be a slave girl?:alienooh:

Brannon Braga on what to expect this season:

from Star Trek Magazine
After the success of last season [season 3], creatively anyway, we won’t go back to what we did it Seasons 1 & 2, which was subject to such debate. We tried something different there and I think it was with mixed success, really, in terms of doing lighter, character-orientated stories of exploration. Those days are definitely over. We’ve got to do something different this season, and what we’ve decided to do is have an overarching theme to the season, which will probably culminate in the formation of the Federation. I don’t know exactly how. We have some preliminary ideas. But it’s really time to usher in the birth of modern-day Star Trek and see how Archer and the gang were involved in that. We’re going to tell mini-arcs, two-episode arcs, five-episode arcs, three-episode arcs. We’re not going to shy away from continuity. There’s going to be a lot of continuity again this season. There will be some standalone episodes, but story arcs will be more condensed.

My tuppence worth:-

Braga doesn't know what they are going to do yet? :eek:
Okay, publishing deadlines mean that the interview was probably 2/3 months ago. But Enterprise starts running next week in the US!
Would I be the only one that is worried?

I fail to see why character based stories cannot be part of the over-arching mini-arcs?
Are we going to fall back on TNG and Voyager annonymousness?

No complaints on short three or four part episodes. Suggested them before.

Season 3 story continuity was actually quite good. Think they just need to more effort in the continuity of the characters

To be fair he went on in that interview to mention the Dr. Soong/ Eugenics three-part arc, the marriage of a major character ep. (I know who it is), and the Vulcan reformation arc.

I didn't repeat that part of the interview as we've already covered it in more detail from other sources. It is just the end of the season that he doesn't know about yet. He also mentions the William Shatner appearance which (at the time of the interview) now seems premature.

Originally posted by gr8scott
From Dave's descriptions earlier in this thread, Season 4 doesn't look too exciting.

I've changed my mind , that it does look exciting, and everything I hear only adds to my looking forward to it.
from Trek Today
New Enterprise showrunner Manny Coto recently told SFX Magazine (via the Great Link)... ...telling stories such as the founding of the Federation relates to Coto's desire to "fulfill the legacy of what the show was originally conceived as -- a prequel series". "The Star Trek universe is so grand and so deep that rather than go out and explore different worlds that we haven't seen in this series, I would rather use the prequel series to really explore the worlds that we know and would love to know more about."

He also says that it will deal with the formation of the Federation before the end of the Season.

The Romulans on Vulcan idea I dismissed earlier could work if Enterprise never meet them, and Arik Soong is working with Eugenic Supermen not Androids. That is the problem when you hear spoilers that are not the whole story. It is easy to jump to wrong conclusions.

> Arik Soong is working with Eugenic Supermen

So it sounds like Soong was a bit of an mad scientist, maybe?
It might be more interesting then I thought, though
I hope they are not super soldiers.

more from Manny Coto...

Unlike Braga and Berman, Coto can't seem to stop talking about 'Enterprise'. These reports are from SciFi Wire. They contain more spoilers:

from Scifi Wire

Enterprise Ends Cold War

Manny Coto, writer and executive producer of UPN's Star Trek: Enterprise, told SCI FI Wire that he found a real challenge bringing the series into its fourth season after the third's cliffhanger ending. "It was a difficult episode to write, because there was a wild twist at the end of season three," Coto said in an interview at a screening of the season-four premiere. "It necessitated a lot of elements that had to be woven together and tell the end of the Temporal Cold War, and kind of launch the stories for season four." Last season's Xindi war story arc ended back on Earth during World War II, with an alien in a Nazi uniform.

Coto, who joined the series last season after serving two years as writer and creator of the Showtime series Odyssey 5, said that his goal for season four of Enterprise was to reveal some of the origins of character developments and storylines from the original Star Trek series. "I think by now people know I'm a big fan of the old series, and I think what's going to be fun is that we'll be seeing a lot of touchstones from the old series, starting with the Orion slave girls," Coto said. "What's most exciting for me is this story that takes place on Vulcan, which I've nicknamed 'Vulcans of Arabia.' It's a sweeping tale that kind of expands and deepens the Vulcan mythology, and what season four will be is kind of exploring and illuminating parts of the Star Trek universe that perhaps we haven't seen so clearly in the past, in older incarnations and new incarnations."

Coto said that the illustrious history of the series puts enormous pressure on him, as does his previous success with season three. "It's a huge responsibility, and it's a terrific show," he said. "The responsibility is to make it as good as last season, which was tremendous, and to make season four even better. That's what's most scary. Trying to write stories that live up to that and take advantage of that is very challenging." Season four of Enterprise premieres Oct. 8 in the show's new 8 p.m. ET/PT Friday timeslot.

Enterprise Gets Epic

Manny Coto, writer and executive producer of UPN's Star Trek: Enterprise, told SCI FI Wire that the fourth season of the show will feature several self-contained storylines instead of one that spans the entire season. "This season is like a series of mini-24s," Coto said in an interview at a screening of the season-four premiere. "We have three-episode arcs and four-episode arcs, and what I think is that it gives you the best of both worlds. I didn't want to do one season just on one subject. The [premiere] episode is a two-episode arc, but the other ones are both three-parters, and they really have a kind of great, epic feel. It will be fun to watch on DVD to see from beginning to end."

Coto, who joined the production team during last season, said that he is eager to unleash his ideas for the series and won't be holding back storylines for future seasons. "I wanted to be able to do stories on eugenic supermen [and] on Vulcan, and what this has allowed us to do is create long, epic movies that play out over a series of three episodes," Coto said. "We aren't really doing it thinking what the ratings are going to be, frankly. People will either tune in, or they won't. And if they don't, we won't be around next year. But we'll have a great season this year. With this season approaching, what we're doing is what would we love to do, as fans and as people who love Star Trek. We're just throwing out ideas as they come up."

Coto said that executive producer Rick Berman gave him and the writing staff carte blanche to come up with concepts that play upon material from other Star Trek series. "I've been given this great opportunity where Rick has said, 'Go do whatever you want to do with the old series,'" he said. "Now we're working on this terrific story about the Andorians. It's a three-episode arc that finally incorporates Col. Green, the Andorians, a race of Andorians that we previously had never heard of and the Tellorites."

Coto also said that the disparate plots and characters will lay the groundwork that brings the series up to the beginning of the original Star Trek series. "All of these meetings with the various races evolved from the Tellorites, and the Andorians are going to be taking us to the end of the season, where we will weave this together for the beginnings of what we will know as the Federation." Season four of Enterprise premieres Oct. 8 in its new timeslot, Fridays at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

Ever since 'The Savage Curtain' TOS, I always wanted to learn more about Colonel Green and Surak. Now it seems like this Season I will get both.

I always thought Colonel Green was part of Earth's Third World War & Nuclear Holocaust (mentioned by Dr McCoy in TOS and by Q in TNG) but maybe those are two separate events? It was never made very clear, so it wouldn't actually do any harm to re-write that part of Trek history more clearly.

The Holocaust must be the one shown in 'First Contact' though and therefore pre-'Enterprise', but maybe Col. Green escaped from Earth. Anyone else care to speculate how he could be on Andoria?

also:

from Trek Today
Speaking to the San Francisco Examiner, Coto said that he wanted to write stories that he would want to see as a fan of previous shows. "If I hear that they're doing a Vulcan Reformation, they're bringing the Orions back, Spiner is coming on, they're possibly doing the Shatner thing, they're doing Eugenics Wars characters -- I'm going to tune in," he said. "I'm a fan and this season I'm like a kid in a candy store with the stuff I want to bring back and I'm doing all the episodes I would want to see."

These are the episodes I want to see too, so I'm really pleased in the direction this is going. But I'm keen to know what other people feel. Enterprise seems to not interest many scifi fans anymore. As Coto says, if they don't watch then it probably won't be around next year. So, are they on the right track, or is this the end of the line?

> . . three-episode arcs and four-episode arcs . .

That aspect makes me think of the black and white Zorro episodes.

The more I hear about Season 4 the more hope I have for it.

I'm not very familiar with the timeline of Original Trek, so I don't have a whole lot of spec to add.

Though personally I think the Pre-Federation timeline was quite messed up by STNG, DS9, Voyager, and the movie first contact.

There is at least one or two episodes of DS9 that seems to contradict STNG. First Contact seems to contradict some of both
STNG and DS9. I'm sure Voyager did it's fair share of messing things up too.

Originally posted by McHorde-Trooper
There is at least one or two episodes of DS9 that seems to contradict STNG. First Contact seems to contradict some of both
STNG and DS9. I'm sure Voyager did it's fair share of messing things up too.

I don't want them to mess up the continuity. I'm probably older than you because I remember TOS like an old childhood toy, and I don't like people touching it.

First Contact really altered things, but I forgive it because it is such a good film.

But in the end, I want to see good stories.

I've decided that if they break continuity a little that is okay. I've changed my attitude, but that's because I've reflected on the whole of Trek more and although it is better than many series with it's continuity (mainly due to the efforts of Dorothy Fontana, and Michael and Denise Okuda) it was never 100%. There are many faults even between seasons of TOS. (They even give three different names for Starfleet!)

As long as they can tell good stories, and stories I want to hear I will watch. But I do prefer these stories that expand the Star Trek mythos, rather than those that tell moralistic tales about present day problems under a thin disguise of an alien mask. That seems to be exactly what Coto promises:

from Trek Web via Scifi Pulse

Until now Manny Coto's role as producer has been somewhat unclear, so Trekweb put this right by asking Coto what part he will be playing in the day to day running of Star Trek: Enterprise.

"I'm running the writing room, which is generating the stories. Rick and Brannon are functioning as Rick did in the first three years of the show, which is approving and not approving, giving notes and in a more supervisory role. I'm more generating the stories and coming up with the thrust of the season."

Many Science Fiction fans will already be familiar with Manny Coto due to the excellent work he did on the now defunct Odyssey 5 TV show which was a high concept SF series that got cancelled before its time. However Coto's vision for Enterprise is more in the vain of trying to take Star Trek back to its roots and find the all important wow factor that got many fans hooked to begin with.

"My vision is to try to fulfill what I think is ENTERPRISE's promise, which is to create a truly prequel series. And that is beginning to tie ENTERPRISE into the overall STAR TREK canon and to really use the opportunity that we have to create stories that give us a glimpse into the formation of the STAR TREK universe. That's in a nutshell my vision for this season, in any event. And on a simply fun level to do stories that STAR TREK fans would really love to see."

In recent weeks Coto has hired a number of new writers in order to help him on his mission. Chief amongst those writers are the writing team of Judith and Garfield Reeves Stevens who many fans now of because of the couples collaborations with William Shatner on his Star Trek novels which have mostly made it to the top of the New York Times Best Seller list. The other new addition is Alan Brennert, Coto explained to the website why he decided to bring these new writers onboard.

"I have known Alan for a long time, I worked with him on OUTER LIMITS; when I was co-executive producer on OUTER LIMITS he wrote two of the best episodes of the season. I brought him on to ODYSSEY 5 and he wrote really terrific episodes. I've known him very well, he is a huge STAR TREK fan and we've always talked about STAR TREK and when I came on to STAR TREK, he was one of the first names of someone that I'd like to bring onboard. Someone that was a novelist, that has a great love of STAR TREK and a great knowledge of the science fiction genre and just a terrifc writer. This year when I became executive producer one of the first things I wanted to do was bring Alan on.

"Judy and Gar, I had loved [their novel] FEDERATION. I thought that they were really, as far as the STAR TREK novels, I thought theirs were stand outs, and because of what I wanted to do with season four, which is really tie ENTERPRISE with the STAR TREK universe I thought these two would be perfect to help flesh out the sense of scope that I wanted for the various story arcs. We're operating in three-episode arcs and Judy and Gar with their novelist sense of sweep and their intense knowledge of the STAR TREK universe I thought would be perfect for what I wanted to do this year."

I'm not too upset about the timeline conflicts.
I think maybe I was trying to say that it was hard for me to
figure out the Pre-Federation stuff. I'm pretty sure you have
a good understanding of it though.

I don't really hold any timeline Enterprise has with other Trek series because of the Temporal Cold War. Sometimes the
Temporal Cold War can seem cheesy too me, but I fully
acnologe it as a ligit reason for timeline diffrences.

In some ways I think the war was a smart idea for the writters.
It made sure they didn't have to be a tottal slave to continuity.
And at least a hadful of good episodes came directly from it.

Though I'm glad to learn they are going to finnish off the
Temporal Cold War plot early on this season. It did kind of
drag on a bit.

Originally posted by McHorde-Trooper
I don't really hold any timeline Enterprise has with other Trek series because of the Temporal Cold War...

I think the war was a smart idea for the writters.
It made sure they didn't have to be a total slave to continuity...

Though I'm glad to learn they are going to finnish off the
Temporal Cold War plot early on this season.

I think you are correct on all of that. I never liked the idea of the Temporal Cold War, and I'm glad it's going to be finally finished off too.

Maybe the fans talking about continuity errors worried them so much they decided to take fewer risks, and the Temporal War was a safety valve they could turn on if they ever needed to.

One other thing I've read is that Scott Bakula has said Archer will be changed by the choices he had to make in Season 3. That Archer will be a diiferent character due to his experiences. I really hope that is the case. People do change. Star Trek characters rarely do, Captains even less. (DS9 was an exception) Anyway, the changes within the characters due to their experiences with the Xindi would be one plus point for the Xindi story arc. They are no longer the raw flatlander recruits that left Earth, but battle hardened spacefarers.

edit: Another Manny Coto spoiler...

from Science Fiction Weekly

What about other origin stories?

Coto: We're going to touch on that as well in season four. One of the ideas that I've had is, we've seen Zefram Cochrane, the originator of the warp drive. But we've never seen the individual who invented the transporter, which I think is as important an invention as the warp drive, when you really think about it. So I want to do a story about an individual who is kind of a Daystrom, if you remember the old series character [from the original series episode "The Ultimate Computer"], who's invented the transporter, and a story about him.

RG posted a transcript from Scifi Wire where they state that: "Enterprise Gets Epic"

I'm excited by news in this thread. I can't wait for the rest of this season. Finally! I've been waiting in frustration for epic story arcs. Season 3 was better, but I would rather even more space opera. Let's see it. I can't wait.

more from scifi wire on season 4

Scott Bakula has been speaking to scifi wire: here are two items on Season 4 --

from SciFi Wire

Archer Grows In Enterprise

Scott Bakula, star of UPN's Star Trek: Enterprise, told SCI FI Wire that he is especially excited about the development of his character, Capt. Jonathan Archer, in the fourth season of the show. "The way the series is laid out, I've been presented with a lot of character adjustments and explorations that in a lot of series you don't get," Bakula said in an interview. "Entering the fourth season [gives me] an opportunity to take some of the lessons from last season and the choices we made and see where he goes this year."

In the fourth season, Archer and his crew will deal in part with the effects of last season's yearlong Xindi war story arc. Bakula said that he's been satisfied with the way the producers and writers of the show have given Archer an opportunity to grow since the series began. "We've all worked together to give this guy an interesting journey," he said. "In year one, when he was this very naive kind of closed-off Starfleet brat. That was his whole world, and he's come far in the last three seasons with all of the catastrophes and challenges that he had last year. The ways that he had to deal with them and the places he had to go to make some of the choices that Archer had to make this year becomes fortunate for me."

Bakula said that he saw the potential for the character's growth as far back as when he was enlisted to shoot the pilot episode four years ago. "I looked at the pilot scripts, and I thought, 'This is a guy who has the potential to be interesting for a few years and be interesting for me to play for a few years,'" he said. "The reality is with Star Trek you're in some kind of moral or ethical dilemma. That's part of the history of the show, and that's interesting anyway, but this guy is still growing and maturing. I feel very lucky I'm in the fourth season, and I'm still finding out stuff. Hopefully it's exciting for the audience, too."

Enterprise Ties Things Up

Scott Bakula, star of the UPN series Star Trek: Enterprise, told SCI FI Wire that he is looking forward to returning to self-contained stories after last year's season-long Xindi war story arc. "Well, the first two episodes tie up last year and tie up the Temporal Cold War," Bakula said in an interview. "That was very exciting, and then we went right into what it was like to get back to Earth after everything we've been through and getting a hero's welcome and all of that kind of stuff and seeing how everybody felt about being back on Earth. That was a tremendous episode." That episode, "Home," airs Oct. 22.

Bakula said that there would be more multi-episode narratives this season, but that they would be limited to two or three episodes. "We got into this big three-parter with Brent Spiner [from Star Trek: The Next Generation], and that takes us into this three-parter about the Vulcan self-determination and Surak and all kinds of wild stuff on Vulcan," he said. "We've been off to a huge start this year, and I think people were worried about the cutbacks and the things the network was asking us to do. And we've done anything but that. The shows are big and very exciting and still lots of effects and action and big stories." Budgets for Enterprise were cut as an incentive for UPN to renew the ratings-challenged show for a fourth season, resulting in such changes as shooting the series on high-definition video instead of 35mm film.

But Bakula said that telling stories over the course of several episodes gives the series a cinematic scope, even if it occasionally frustrates impatient viewers. "Last year was a rarity, and they had never had that length of an arc in the history of the franchise," Bakula said. "You couldn't really follow that again, but it was a blast to do, and there were so many threads and things going on that I thought they did a wonderful job portraying. I love doing arc stories. As an audience member, it is frustrating sometimes, but I love it, because you get to tell a more in-depth story. You get to stay with characters a little longer, and you get to stay with guests a little bit longer. What's nice about a three-episode arc is that in many ways it's kind of like making a movie. It's a three-act movie, and that's how they kind of treat it. I love doing it."

Back