At what point do you go through the gate

Leeburt

Hi

Hope you don't think i'm nit picking but I need the info for my 4th film.
Ok, ready ? fingers on the buzzer......

In the Stargate movie and some episodes you can put your hand and face in the event then pull it back, does this mean that only when you whole body has entered it, you can travel through.

But on an Episode where they fire a harpoon through the gate but the rope is still tied to the gate room ?

so what point can my actors go through without coming back ?

thanks

As you'll recall from episodes such as "48 Hours" (though it's implied earlier) there is a buffer which waits to ensure "all" of each travelling item (people, bombs, MALPs etc) are within the event horizon before being disintegrated and transmitted. From that definition, it waits until the whole item is within the event horizon.

But, when you come to "continuous" items such as the "food" flow in "Prisoners" or the 1940s air-tubes in "Torment of Tantalus" then this becomes indeterminate in terms of canon evidence.

PS. I don't recall any harpoon with rope attached (but it may be in S6 which I've not seen).

If you note in the flim as well, Jackson is shown pretty much all the way through the event horizon before we see him deconstruct and go on his merry way.

The problem is, is that the writers do not always stick to a 'science', they do try to roughly stick with it, but sometimes they apply 'artistic' license so that it will fit into an episode.

Thanks guys that's helped, I didn't want to go ahead and get told that " that wouldn't happen"

also one more quicky.

what would happen if someone entered the gate ( with event open ) from the otherside, i think you would be killed.

or maybe it takes you to Atlantis ( a secret door )

Physical objects going into a wormhole from the wrong direction are "destroyed" - though it's unclear precisely how or why. See "A Hundred Days" for examples and discussion. And perhaps "Wormhole X-Treme!" for the opposite discussions... ;)

Okay I've been studying it and to answer both questions:

Anything that is in the out-going event horizon (ie., Dr. Jackson, MALP, ect...) and held there or is stationary, is pulled in after a 3 second count.
Also you can step into an incoming event horizon with no damage (ie. O'Neill holding the 'door' open), but if person or thing is in it when it is shut down then it is dead, gone, destroyed, whatever you want to call it. (and I am not talking about when it first opens, the "whoosh" will kill you.)

Lo'lara,

I'd suggest a slight amendment to your statement: you can hold something into the incoming event horizon, but only enough to keep the gate open... if O'Neill had "stepped in" fully he'd have disappeared, as per the MALP, and Teal'c's potential fate, in "A Hundred Days".

Which episodes are you basing the 3 seconds on?

The movie probably, I think it's the only time we see beyond the event horizon and before the wormhole..