Kaylee Frye

Kaylee represents life.

The crew was written to show marked contrasts and draw real comparisons in behavior, class, religion, and passions. I believe Kaylee is the one character who is meant to outwardly contrast with them all, while all the while connecting them emotionally.

She is the little sister of the crew, except for River. Everyone knows they can trust her. Everyone can let down their guard around her and that's not the case with anyone else. People will rarely show their real selves with their boss (Mal), the clergy (Book), a doctor (Simon), a killer (Jayne), an amazon (Zoe), a player (Inara), a fool (Wash), or a crazy person (River). But they all are at ease whenever Kaylee approaches them. Sure, Mal unites them by providing direction. Zoe's competence in all things provides peace. Jayne's aptitude for violence protects them. Inara's gracefulness and graciousness calms them. Wash keeps things light. Book becomes their patient uncle... ready to lend a hand or a shoulder on which to cry. But Kaylee binds them emotionally.

Except for Zoe and Wash's private moments, every scene of "normal life" aboard Serenity happens when Kaylee is present. The ball game, jacks, tag, dinners, a birthday, spying on Inara's guest... Even the weightlifting scenes with Jayne and Book are not as emotionally honest as when Kaylee is present.

And nothing breaks the harmony of their community quicker than when someone turns on Kaylee. Everyone was enjoying landfall (Shindig) until Mal criticized Kaylee... and it was all gone. Everyone was having a fine dinner (Serenity) until Jayne commented upon Kaylee's passions... and the magic faded away.

She is the kin keeper. She maintains the normalcy of the crew by baking a cake, encouraging Mal to keep crew members, and organizing games. Despite her lack of culture, she keeps the traditions of human society alive in space. She may not know nuances, but she knows basics.

Kaylee is the polar opposite of Simon. Simon is cultured, Kaylee is a hick. Simon probably had twenty years of the verse's best schooling, while Kaylee may have had seven on a backwater moon. Simon plans, Kaylee acts. Simon only wants to keep River safe, while Kaylee wants everyone to get along. Simon no longer cares for his own life, but Kaylee is afraid to die.

I think I've posted that Mal and Simon are the two heroes of Firefly. Mal stands for humanity against totalitarianism and Simon fights for one person. Mal is a universal savior, while Simon is the personal redeemer.

I can't take than analogy too far because Simon is just a man. And he has turned off most of his emotions, hardened his heart, and decided his own life is over in order to save River. Once he's saved her, he's planned to use this as his MO indefinitely. Well, the problem is that he's still alive.... but he's not living. But Kaylee's alive and she's in his face... all the time. And I think Simon began to feel like a vampire... thirsting after life.

Simon was attracted to Kaylee because she's a real person long before he ever noticed her as a woman. She exudes kindness, honesty, laughter... i.e. love. He was prepared to live a life of denial where his needs were concerned. But he was not prepared for River to not be able to emotionally return to him... and it's not River's fault... she's just not all there. After the rejection by his parents, the exile from society, and River's unresponsiveness, I think Simon was desperate (although he'd never admit it to himself) for a stable connection to a human being. Who among the crew was about to let Simon be their best friend? Mal, Jayne, and Book are too macho to pal around with him. Inara is cultured like Simon, but her heart and mind are highly compartmentalized. Wash is too much of a joker for Simon. Zoe is only genuine with Wash. And then there is Kaylee... She skips around the ship like a ray of sunshine in a coalmine. She's like an oasis in the desert. A lifeboat to a drowning man.

Rational thinking would see Kaylee get cultured and educated. In reality, Simon met Kaylee on her terms: life to the full. Which is more important education, wealth, and haute couture or a genuine connection to another person? Kaylee can give Simon what River cannot. And I'm not talking about romance or sex... I mean a constant and reliable access to humanity. Money, clothes, and books cannot give a person what open arms can.

If Mal represents persistence and Simon epitomizes sacrifice and Book stands for faith and Inara embodies grace and Wash typifies mirth and Jayne exemplifies savagery and Zoe personifies expertise and River characterizes innocence, then Kaylee not only symbolizes life on Serenity... she defines it for all of them. And so... her presence is more important than any other character, including Mal.

Kaylee represents life.

Last edited:
Back