4.08: Habeas Corpses

tabuno

4.8: Habeas Corpses

I began watching this episode in a cynical state of mind and felt smug as the beginning scenes swept by as the ragtag time of Angel fighters straggle back to the Hotel, the morning after the hail of fire from the skies. By the end of the movie, I was intrigued by the steady script portraying a rather striking relationship between Cordelia and Angel. It was delicious to see how Angel behaved. There were monsters galour in this episode and it could have been terrible, but the build up, the suggestive lead up to them was great. Lilah ends up in a rather different state of mind while Gavin really gets a new makeover. The scene at Wolfram and Hart and their guest makes for a rather shocking but compelling experience. And the entire gang together are themselves all in a turmoil, except for Lorne.

I was skeptical how Josh Whedon was going to handle two parallel storylines between Buffy and Angel - he has both series' characters becoming more complex, carrying a number of deep emotional scars. Both have ominous, almost invincible dark forces afoot - the almost transparent, ghost of Buffy and the almost towering, fierce, ferocious monster of Angel. So far Josh has managed to hold his own, but precariously.

I wasn't real sure about this episode myself. My personal favorite parts being Wesley telling Lilah off then saving her from zombism at the hands of The Beast and the look on Cordy's face when she realizes why Angel was acting the way he was towards her. And I thought the way Angel handled that situation was good. All in all it was a pretty good eppy and I am looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Eh-

this episode was okay --

I might have to go watch it again to catch all the stuff I really liked about it -

but- I didn't like the Wes / Lilah relationship 'ending' - it was far too much like Buffy / Spike from last season -- parallel stories, ok - identical ones? hmmm - maybe not --

I still don't like Connor - doubt I ever will - and Cordy really bugged me w/ her sleeping w/ Connor -- does she *not* remember how hurt she was when Xander just kissed Willow?

<sigh> I think they do this stuff just to irritate us --- ;)

I Agree

Diamond9697 - Agree with your two highlights of the episode. I was intrigued by Wes / Lilah relationship 'ending' because of Lilah's strong personality and Wes's changed personality whereas Buffy and Spike is a bit different (Buffy being Buffy as always it seems). Thus Wes/Lilah is different because both have evolved in dramatic ways whereas Buffy/Spike is more of a one person switch. I'd like to see where Wes and Lilah end up. The grating issues with the new season are the hard edges that we seem to be seeing from Wes and Charles - the light, funny side remarks seem more saved for Lorne, while anything approaching humorous from Wes or Charles seem to be out of character now. (The unforunate problem now that I've decided that the new season is worthy sticking around for is my wife signed me up for Spanish at the same time that Angel is on - maybe it's a sign).

I thought it was a really good episode. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
The big bad is actually interesting and looks cool but I hope he does something soon other than kill. Though I'm not sick of it yet.
I liked the Wes and Lilah stuff, I hope she doesn't go away for long. And maybe she can bring Lindsey back with her. I can only hope.

I can't wait for the next episode.

Zombies!

:evil: All I can say is that if I ever become an evil genius/lawyer, I'm gonna make sure that all my henchpeople become zombies after they die, so as to continue to defend my fortress/spacestation/LA Highrise.:evil:

I have to say that I really liked this one!

Im still unsure where they are taking the Cordy and Connor thing and so far I don't think i like it very much.

Loved the way Angel reacted to it.... saved Connor then told Cordy to take her new boyfriend and get out...well said.

I was looking forward to getting the gand back together this season...looks like Wesley is coming back into the fold but Cordy is being thrown out!

Also Wes dumping Lilah...felt a little sorry for her she was quite hurt about it I felt..Im glad that did not kill her off I kinda like her....hope she comes back!

:cool:

Re: Zombies!

Originally posted by JonahBlack
:evil: All I can say is that if I ever become an evil genius/lawyer, I'm gonna make sure that all my henchpeople become zombies after they die, so as to continue to defend my fortress/spacestation/LA Highrise.:evil:
LOL

It did take a turn for the unexpected, didn't it?

I wonder why they thought turning all the employees into Zombies would be a good idea?
Still I think it made for quite good television.

I was glad that Gunn namechecked The Terminator, as I was thinking they were doing a pretty good tribute to it, with the Beast slowly stalking the corridors of W&H, knocking off anything that stood in its way.

Sometimes I think Lilah's got a human bone in her body, and then she goes and threaten's Connor with the slice and dice experimentation. But three episodes earlier she tells Wes that the only reason she didn't have Lorne killed was because they were friends? Doesn't make sense. And beyond that, why on earth would they want to cut Connor open? Wouldn't he be a much more useful tool to use against, and manipulate Angel? Seems that way to me.

Not sad at all to see the end of Gavin, and I wonder is this the last we'll see of Wolfram and Hart altogether? The little girl is gone, as are all the employees, but I suppose the otherdimensional senior partners must still be kicking.

As for Angel/Cordy/Connor. I dunno, but I get this feeling that if you had lived for a couple of hundred years you would probably have learned to control your feelings a little better. Angel was able to graciously stand aside when Groo came back *shrugs*
Don't get me wrong - I think Connor/Cordelia is very very wrong, but Angel's reaction doesn't seem quite right either.

Re: Re: Zombies!

Originally posted by Tabitha

As for Angel/Cordy/Connor. I dunno, but I get this feeling that if you had lived for a couple of hundred years you would probably have learned to control your feelings a little better. Angel was able to graciously stand aside when Groo came back *shrugs*
Don't get me wrong - I think Connor/Cordelia is very very wrong, but Angel's reaction doesn't seem quite right either.

I dunno..I think he put his feeling to one side quite well when Connor had to be rescued from W & H.
I think it might be worse for Angel as it is Connor that Cordy got it on with..last time with Groo was a little different..plus it makes a good story! ;)

It seems to me that Angel has this love hate relationship going on with Connor :eek:

I know what you mean about Angel and Connor's relationship. At this point I am almost rooting for Connor to have some deep connection to the Beast, and for the two to really go at it.

Having said that, I am slowly warming to Connor - he is a bit of a petulant teenager still, but I think he might be shown in a better light sometime soon.

Originally posted by Tabitha

Having said that, I am slowly warming to Connor - he is a bit of a petulant teenager still, but I think he might be shown in a better light sometime soon.

Yeah heres hoping...a bit like Dawn on Buffy...liking her more this season the the last. I hope the same will happen with Connor!

You should check out VK's screen test on the DVDs of S3 - shows the actor has a little bit more range than just broody adolescent. I have high hopes - Joss must have introduced him for a reason.

Yeah its not that I dislike Connor just don't think he has been given a very big story to work with...

I hope to see him develop more soon! :D

I really liked this epsiode. The zombies were very cool (if a little "Shaun of the Dead"), and there were lots of good fight scenes.

I was kind of upset that they killed off Gavin, I liked him. And now Lilah's gone as well... is this the end for Wolfram and Hart? :eek: *cue dramatic music*

I'm gonna miss Lilah, her and Wes were so funny as a couple. But Wes is back in the gang - yay! :D Just like the good old days.

I wonder if Cordy and Connor are out on their own now? Though I can understand Angel's actions regarding them - one minute Cordy says she loves him, the next she's off shagging his son? :rolleyes:
And that scene at the end was heart-breaking - Angel's "take your boyfriend and get out", and then Cordy's face when she realises he knows. :(

It's weird - I want to hate Connor for getting between Cordy and Angel (and I was totally screaming "EW!!!" at the sex), but I'm kinda starting to like him. Maybe it's because he actually has a personality these days, instead of either shouting "Die, evil creature!" and stabbing something, or running off for a sulk. :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D General Film Discussion 8
Highlander II Buffy 3