Extended Edition (FOTR)

Shaun

R.I.P. Ashes
Extended Edition

Sooo... anybody got it yet? I do. :D I haven't watched it yet (waiting for my brothers to get home) but it already looks awesome. It's going to take a while to get through the movie and extras, but somebody has to do it. ;)

I watched it and it really is a better movie. It doesn't feel longer at all. The character moments and humour were great, this should have been the movie that was released first.

At the start it was a little jarring with the new additions, having seen the original... oh, lets just say a few times, but once I just sat back and thought of it as a new movie it worked a lot better.

We got the extended DVD this weekend and it is fabulous (as Tolkien should be :D) I only saw the theatrical release once, and that was a year ago, so the new material blended right in and made for a much richer movie.

Oh, and this time we get an intermission whenever we need one :blush:

The appendices on the final two disks contain tons of info about the "making of" and very witty interviews with the cast. Peter Jackson took great care, not only with bringing Tolkien to the screen, but with selecting and nurturing a cast that could give the film such wonderful depths and nuances.

And now I have to wait til 12/18 for Two Towers -- sigh. Still I have hours of DVD to watch and rewatch :)

Has anyone seen the secret scene in the extended edition?
It's the MTV parody of the Council of Elrond

Go to "Scene Selection" in the first disc of the DVD. Then scroll down until you see the page with the Council of Elrond. Highlight that scene, and then press the down button so that the words *New Scene right below it are highlighted. Press enter, and you should see Peter Jackson congratulating you on finding the secret scene.

Extended TTT Trailer on Disc 2

I found the other Easter egg

on Disc 2 run through the scene selections until you get to 48; arrow over to the number on the right of the screen, then down to the Two Towers image. Press "enter"

I've seen both of them and they're great. The MTV scene was pretty funny, but definetly not for everyone, the characters reactions were the best part. BTW it isn't on the UK edition due to keeping the rating down.

Spent most of the afternoon watching the extended VHS version.

I wasn't so keen on some of the extended introduction to the Hobbits, but overall the additions did lead to a much better film. The scale of their journey felt that much grander, as was the scale of the argument in Rivendell. Not to mention the addition of the little hints of comedy- Merry and Pippin bringing down Aragorn would come as close to the top of my favourites

I read an interview with Peter Jackson where he says he's already planning what to put back in for "The Two Towers" -- seems there were some sacrifices made to get it down to 2 hours, 59 minutes and he's happy that on the DVD to come he can present the film he wants.

I didn't mind the increased hobbit intro. The book certainly moves at a leisurely pace through the hobbit world and Jackson's film moves much faster, but its nice to know what the hobbits are leaving behind, why at times they feel compelled to go home, and why in the end they risk so much to protect that way of life.

I agree with WebMouse re: the Hobbit extensions. Way to say it concisely. :)

LOVE the extended version! I'm so glad PJ put as much into the DVDs as he did.

Thanks for the Easter Egg clues, guys! Didn't even know I was missing out. :eek: