Carnivale

Re: CARNIVALE - Your help is Required!

Kiwiroustie said:
...Allbrecht blamed the $2million per episode budget as well as a failure to do well in the overseas market as the reason for the cancellation.
...sounds like a good enough reason to give a show the axe.

I haven't seen this yet but was surprised to see it axed on the HBO website. Rome I have seen and it is absolutely awesome. It seems to me that HBO has its fingers in too many pies. They are involved in a lot of expensive series. Entourage must be expensive and though I like it I imagine Carnivale is much more interesting. I also enjoyed their Deadwood which thank god is getting a third season. HBO do appear to make some excellent television series.

The series is good... If a little violent and disturbing...

But I'm sure that the campaigns for this series will fail just as all the other campaigns for all the other axed US shows failed... I remember the Farscape one, and the Enterprise one, and the Earth-2 one and a couple of others...

Let's face it, if the production companies aren't willing to have a leap of faith, no amount of bleating will change their minds... There needs to be someone willing to say "YEAH, WHY THE HELL NOT" and put some serious money into it... People independently wealthy, like Bill Gates and Paul McCartney - you can't spend Billions in your lifetime, so why not entertain the masses??? ;)

Norwegian Public Broadcasting has started broadcasting Carnivalé on NRK2. Watched the first episode yesterday; I think this is great stuff! Creepy scenes, lots of symbolic stuff, amazing atmosphere. This series seems to be filling a hole in my dream-imagination. I'm going to follow it slavishly this autumn :D

Highly original series based on the simple premise of good vs evil. Have watched both 1st and 2nd series and you could say, I'm now an addict....looking forward to S3

There I was about to create a thread for this, after much fruitless searching. Instead, I get to perform a thread revival!

*Lays hands on the thread, which is miraculously healed :D*

Anyway, it’s taken me a long while to get round to watching it, but boy am I glad I did. It’s still fresh in my mind, which always helps, but it’s definitely my new favourite tv series. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a show that just seems to fit my sense of preferred pace and ambience. There isn’t anything I don’t like about it – characters and cast, mood, filming, scripts, setting (it’ll sound strange if I say I love the sheer dustiness of it, but I do!).

In the whole of the 12, 50-minute, episodes of the first season I honestly couldn’t point to a scene that I didn’t like, let alone an episode. Same goes for the second season (with exception to just two scenes within minutes of each other that I thought could’ve been executed better – which is such a minor complaint it doesn’t even bear thinking about). Against any miniscule flaws there are plenty of momentously inspiring or creepy moments and fantastic episodes (like Damascus, which was one of the best hours of tv I’ve ever seen).

HBO made one helluva huge mistake in letting this show go.

There I was about to create a thread for this, after much fruitless searching. Instead, I get to perform a thread revival!

*Lays hands on the thread, which is miraculously healed :D*

Anyway, it’s taken me a long while to get round to watching it, but boy am I glad I did. It’s still fresh in my mind, which always helps, but it’s definitely my new favourite tv series. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a show that just seems to fit my sense of preferred pace and ambience. There isn’t anything I don’t like about it – characters and cast, mood, filming, scripts, setting (it’ll sound strange if I say I love the sheer dustiness of it, but I do!).

In the whole of the 12, 50-minute, episodes of the first season I honestly couldn’t point to a scene that I didn’t like, let alone an episode. Same goes for the second season (with exception to just two scenes within minutes of each other that I thought could’ve been executed better – which is such a minor complaint it doesn’t even bear thinking about). Against any miniscule flaws there are plenty of momentously inspiring or creepy moments and fantastic episodes (like Damascus, which was one of the best hours of tv I’ve ever seen).

HBO made one helluva huge mistake in letting this show go.

Amen. Show was gone WAY before its time :(

Since I've been sick with a cold and also stressed out (and because I bought Season 1 for my Kindle a while ago), I went through both seasons pretty quickly.

I thought the pace was slow, but I was intrigued throughout. I can't say that it was an entirely pleasant experience, since it was pretty much relentlessly grim. Inevitable to a certain extent given the time and the setting for a lot of it. Some of the dialogue struck me as uninspired, but almost all of the performances were somewhere between very good and excellent.

I would have been very disappointed that there wasn't a third season if I hadn't already known that the series was cancelled after two when I started. As it was, I was left feeling somewhat unsatisfied (but it was my own fault, since I knew that was inevitable, too) but was glad that the producers released a little information about what they had planned for the third season, and the immediate future for some of the characters.

Although they did make it end in a way, not completely, but it was the end of the current plot arc. I was sad to see the series go. I liked it on the whole.

You're all too kind. I canceled HBO for a full year after they cut Carnivale. I only got it back for free in a bundle.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H General TV Discussion 2
Ian Whates Promotions 0