dogs tags

Originally posted by spookypumpkin
you guys have inspired me. i'm going to go to a local key cutters and pet tag maker, and get one made with the right info on. i dont know my blood type, tho

You should check out one of the military surplus type stores. They'll make a set up for you and they don't cost much. I'm sure you can also order them online through the same kind of stores. And here's a hint-- you should get them with the black rubber frames (don't know the exact term) so that they don't jangle together and make so much noise. ;)

dog tags

Silencers.

Usually a set of two tags, two chains [one long and one short - one tag on the short chain and then the short one goes on the long one] and two silences runs about $6-$7.00 US depending.

Rowan

And somehow I knew I could count on Rowan to want WICCA on her tags. Blessed Be.

Dog tags

Ah ... you guessed. ;)

Actually, I was the 'unofficial'"All Faiths" Chaplin for my unit (I didn't have a theology degree so I couldn't comission as a Chaplin). Desert Storm was an interesting 'challenge' for all of us: as people, as a medical unit providing health care in a constant 'fight or flight' situation, for the 2/3rds of the unit who were women and for the few of us who also counseled others in whatever pathway they needed.

Just before we deployed, one of the Chaplins grabbed me and made sure I went back to the ID section to get my ID Card, my dog tags and my Geneva Convention card all changed to read 'Christian'. While Christians and Jews were not Mohomad's 'children', Islam recognizes Jesus as one of the prophets of Allah. Those who follow the Bible, 'the Book', still held the hope of redemption. Any other was seen as less than cattle. At least this is how we were briefed it was in Saudia Arabia at the time (90-91)

Not a good thing. And having been caned a couple of times, I can attest to the rather unplesent feeling of being a deffinate minority just being a woman.

Rowan

You have clearly led a very interesting life, Rowan.

Enjoying retirement, are you? A certain pleasant independence and the joy of a predictable day?

I got a switching once by a servant when I was a child. Mother put a stop to it right away, but it isn't something I'd want to go through again. And knowing how much of the world treats women, I've limited my travels to places where my gender isn't considered a handicap. I may not see as much of the world, but there's a lot to see in places that don't endanger me and mine.
:(

how many tags?

Hi

How many actual tags are on the chain though? I see old episodes of MASH and everyone has two tags. Something in the dregs of my mind tells me they both have the same info on but are made of differrent materials so that at least one can survive whatever conflagration destroys the owner! But - I can only ever see one on the chain in SG1.

Anyone know what the proper USAF configuration is? One tag? Two? What are they made of?

Also - are there any circumstances in which a civilain would be issued official tags?

Thanks in advance,

Mo.

Tags

THe official word:

Two tags both made of stainless steel stamped with the same info. Both Air Force and Army [US] use the same format:

Last Name
First Name Middle Initial
Social Security #
Blood Type
Religeon

For example

SMITH
JOHN Q
123-45-6789
O POS
CATHOLIC

All in caps.

Two tags are worn so one can go with the body and one with the 'graves registration' packet. *or* with the two bigest body parts, if that's the situation, until the parts can be placed in a body bag.

Tags in the field are usually worn with black silences around the edges to cut down on the sound. There are vinal sleeves for the two chains as well. Some folks [my husband was one of the] will coat their tags with black paint or permanent marker so they don't 'flash' in sunlight.

You only see one tag on a chain on SG-1 becasue they don't have it right and they haven't corrected the error. MSgt. Tom [the USAF rep] and I chuckled about this at GateCon this year as they have been told.

Civillians who's job status places them in a 'Hazzardous Duty Environment' are required to wear 'military identification tags' the same as active duty and for the same reason: to help with the identification of remains and for POW identification. There aren't a lot of civs on this status so it's not something you hear alot about.

A person with a medical condition will also wear a red anodised dog tag with said medical contidion stamped on it so medical personal can rapidly ident any problems. It's usually worn on the short chain.

It's not uncommon for USAF folks on flight status or anyone on 'jump status' [again, my hsband] to get an extra set of tags and lace one into each set of boot laces as the boots [and feet] usually survive a plane crash. I could see SG teams doing this also as I would imagine a staff blast to the chest might trash the dog tags around the neck.

As for me, when I was on active duty, I had a medical tag and wore spares in my7 boots, even though I didn't jump. I did do some air evac for the Army and was in Desert Storm and wanted the extra ID. AS a civ, I wear my dog tags when I fly and wear my old combat boots with thier tags [they're comfy].

Just in case. ;)

Rowan
aka: Jari L. James, MSG-1SG/E-8
US Army [ret]

best answer ever

Rowan

That has to be the best, most complete and informative answer I've ever had to any post I've ever posted! Thank you so much for sharing all that info.

:gaptooth:

Any time. I've got this thing about accuracy in fan fic and am willing to help any way I can.

Row ;)

And Rowan is very wise and has led a very interesting life. Heed her well. :)

Originally posted by FeedMeTV
Yeah, Rowan's wicked!
In the context or her previous postings, surely this should be "Yeah, Rowan's Wicca'd"... ;)

Want?

Want some what. Jessa? Being in the US Army or being Wiccan? You can do both.

My dog tags usually said "Wiccan" for religeon, except for the deployment to Desert Storm. It was decided among the chaplian staff and myself that perhaps changing it to generic 'Christian' was safer for all of us.

And less likely to get me stoned in the city square in case someone Ialamic in Saudi Arabia saw them. My unit and the chaplians were fine with it.

I don't think God or the Goddess had any problems with that - I'm pretty sure They keep in touch with each other. ;)

Rowan

Military chic? So true! I love the military look. I can wear the uniforms, boots, dog tags etc...all without the 50 pushups and 2-min. meal breaks :D

'Inner warrior'

True, the outer trappings can be worn. But sometimes a person has to go through 'the rite of passage' to wear it all from the inside - to have the 'heart'.

You have to earn the 'inner warrior'. It's not something that can be bought or issued to you, no matter what else.

Rowan ;)

Truth to tell, I did want to join the military. I chickened out when I was younger and decided to wait. But I waited to long and now I'm too old. :eek: Anyway, I asked a recruiter for the reserves why did they cutoff the age requirement at 36 for the AF. What does a 36 year old have that a 37 year old (in good shape) doesn't have? He couldn't answer me except to say that they had to cut the age off somewhere.