Excalibur (1981)

Discussion in 'General Film Discussion' started by Tabitha, Jul 19, 2002.

Tabitha

Tabitha Save Angel!

I was (god knows why) allowed to watch this movie not long after it came out - I must have been about six or seven, and all I really remember is being INCREDIBLY embarassed when the quite graphic sex scene played. I was watching it with my mother - what do you expect? :blush: :blush: :blush:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0082348

Notable for being Liam Neeson's first big screen role, also stars Helen Mirren, Gabriel Byrne and Patrick Stewart.
    Starbeast

Starbeast Benevolent Galaxy Being

Good fantasy sword flick!
    Memnoch

Memnoch Devilish in a fun way!

Visually stunning, epic, stands the test of time!

Ditto, made me chuckle. :D
    Metryq

Metryq Cave Painter

"Come on, let the boy try!"
    "Yeah, let the boy try!"
    steve12553

steve12553 The Enigma of Steel

I picked up the DVD recently and haven't gotten around to it yet. I saw it in the early 80's but not since. I notice from the credits a few prominent actors in minor roles that I wasn't aware of at the time.
    Perpetual Man

Perpetual Man Former Comment Giver

For a long time it was one of my favourite films (Still is but not quite so high on the list) but I always associate it with David Lynch's Dune, not for any similarities, but being one of those films where every other actor who turns up is someone you recognise from something else...
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

This is a film I've definitely got to watch again - a most excellent portayal of Merlin by Nicole Williams ("A dream to some ... a nightmare to others!") and Arthur was suitably flawed in the way he was played, from the bungling country boy, to the arrogant king.
    svalbard

svalbard New Member

This is one of my all time favourite movies. Williams is brilliant as Merlin, the music score is fantastic and that final 30 minutes with the lead up to the Battle of Camlann is excellent. I thought Nigel Terry made a good King Arthur. The actress who played Guinevere is the one who turned up in those coffee adds for Kenco???
    Vladd67

Vladd67 Stake Holder

Do you mean Cherie Lunghi?
    J-Sun

J-Sun Active Member

"Love is deaf as well as blind! That's it."

Agreed, that the Merlin performance is great - arguably what makes the film.
    svalbard

svalbard New Member

Yes! Thanks Vlad.
    clovis-man

clovis-man Prehistoric Irish Cynic

As others have observed, Nicol Williamson was superb. But please don't neglect the young and very hot Helen Mirren as Morgana.
    jeff.s.p

jeff.s.p New Member

"Come father. Let us embrace at last."

When I first saw this movie I remember being rather confused when the Holy Grail aspect was introduced. Despite keeping true to the Arthurian Legend.. It seem to be disjointed.

Still, a terrific movie. And I agree about the musical score. what can be more epic than Wagner?
    Steve S

Steve S New Member

It has it's faults but I'm very fond of this film - great atmosphere and some memorable images. I heard a rumour that this is being remade by Guy Ritchie. Is this true?!?
    paranoid marvin

paranoid marvin Run VT Erroll!

The quality of the sound and cinematography is immense ; arguably unmatched before or since. The definitive take on the Arthurian legend (Python aside) it simply must be watched.
    J-Sun

J-Sun Active Member

clovis-man

clovis-man Prehistoric Irish Cynic

Sad news. And him being a young lad of 75. I always wished I had seen him in more roles.
    Starbeast

Starbeast Benevolent Galaxy Being

Aw-man, that is said news. Nicol made a great Merlin. He had a great voice too.

I discoved he read The Hobbit audiobook as well. That would be nice listening entertainment.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Sorry to hear about Nicol Williamson. Like others here, I really like this film.
    I love the use of Wagner's and Carl Orff's music in the soundtrack - it really gives it that epic feel.

The critics didn't seem too enamoured by it at the time but this film is like a good old wine - you have to let it breathe for a bit, go back to it and savour the real flavour of Boorman's take on Arthur.:)
    HareBrain

HareBrain Lagomorphing Staff Member

And one of the best takes on the legend there has been. I was a bit baffled by Nicol Williamson's Merlin on my first encounter, but now think it was inspired. Same goes for the brilliant use of classical music, one reason the film hasn't dated. The only thing that dates it is the lettering used for the opening titles.