Elric Movie?

I'm very eager to see this film, even if it's not so good.

Another good thing which may come about after it's release is perhaps the elric series will be reprinted as a matching hardback set. As a first edition collector, the Elric series is a bit of a confusing jumble of books, not to mention the last two books not being printed in the UK. Would be great to have a nice multiple volume set of the series. I'd happily pass on my firsts for a set like that (though I'd probably keep stealer of souls...)

Greetings, everyone:

Have there been any new developments on the film version of the Elric saga? I ran through the comments at Mike's site but could find only stale rumor.

Any news?

Perssonicus

Hi, Perssonicus (nice handle that -- I've always liked Una); welcome to the Chronicles.

As far as I know, this one is still in a holding pattern; the reasons are probably manifold, and largely to do with producers' ideas of what constitutes a "fantasy" film ... much of which the Elric books would go against (as was intended with the original stories when he began writing them). I'm dubious as to this being made unless an indendent picks it up, or a new head of productions takes over somewhere who has a little vision and is willing to take risks -- not likely with the amount of outlay this one would require, but possible.

Part of that, I think, is that Elric is more of an "anti-hero" than a "hero", and that's still a new concept with most cinematic fantasy ... even the apparent anti-heroes tend to be stereotypical gruff heroes who don't want to get involved, but then their golden hearts and better natures bring them in to the fray before the end.... Not so Elric, who acts either from his own, often selfish motivations, or on a whim, or because of pressure of circumstance ... and in that last instance, usually turns very nasty. As a character, it gives him more dimension, but it certainly isn't what the moviemakers are used to thinking of in the terms of protagonists for fantasy films.

Still, we can hope and -- where we hear about a studio considering it -- let our voices be heard in support of; and see what happens....

its obvious tilda swinton must play elric,she was fab in constantine(STOLE THE FILM FROM UNDER KRs NOSE)

Hello, and welcome to the Chronicles!

Depp definitely has the build for Elric, I'd say... but getting him bleached out (not only hair, but his skin tone) enough to truly play an albino... that's going to take either some genius at makeup or an unbelievable amount of computer work (or both). And let's face it, Elric's albinism is very important on a lot of levels, not least of which is the weakness which comes from it is what gets him into so much trouble.

Myself, I think I'd prefer an unknown who's a damned fine actor to play the role, but knowing the movie business I seriously doubt this will be the case....

Sounds intriguing aside from the part about Orlando Bloom. Shall follow knivesout and move to the top of a mountain if that happens. I hope Hollywood does not whitewash it though ... aside from the required albino make-up that is.

I'd like to see unknowns too, especially since many who were in Lord of the Rings were relatively new but did a great job.

Having said that both Jude Law and Johnny Depp might work as well. I wish Daniel Day Lewis would be considered as well. He looks hungry enough.

I used to work for a gentleman who was an albino when I was at the international school. He was Chinese. We also had several students from India and the Middle east with the same condition.

Moorcock was less than impressed with Jackson's work there. One of his purported comments was "That's the last time someone talks me into sitting through a unicorn opera" (or words to that effect). I don't think he'd be too keen on Jackson as a director (nor would I; Jackson is far too manic, and I'm afraid he simply would botch the entire crux of the Elric story).

If you want to keep Moorcocks linquistic 'feel', then how about David Mamet as director?

I can see why Paul Bethany could be 'in the frame' as Elric, but I agree that you would probably do better with an unknown, especially if the film stays true to the whole anti-hero ethos (which might put off some established actors).

Personally I think Holywood will have a real problem with the basic amorality of Elric, and show him as 'lapsing' into doing good for the right reasons.

Many years back. when they were talking about making this into film. The person that I had in. mind for the role of Elric was David Bowie. He would have made a great Elric .:cool: