A bit... annoyed

It's *very* rare that fans yell at actors at conventions. Corin will probably do fine. For one thiing, he's got some pretty rabid fans who will probably ask all the questions anyway! :D

But yes, Jonas' characterization rides in the hands of the creative staff, who haven't really done much. I could accept this for the first few episodes, but now, at the halfway mark, pretty much nada has occurred. I'm not asking that Jonas take over the show, but giving him 'quirks' (eating, etc.) isn't characterization. Supposedly we'll see something further on down the line, but further on down the line, I may be watching another show as we''ll have a four month hiatus till new eps air.

My concern about a GateCon appearance stems from recalling what happened to Wil Wheaton at an early STNG convention when he was booed by the audience. Tough thing for anyone to handle and CN doesn't deserve blame for what is a fault at the creative writing level.

Professional writers say "Show, don't tell." But with Jonas it has been all telling and very little showing. The actor is certainly up to the task; it's the writers who have just created his character out of a line here and a line there. I want to see what Jonas feels about his life on Callona and about what happened to Daniel and what being part of SG1 means to him. I want to see what his qualifications and skills are -- not just be told he reads fast, is observant, can do whatever Daniel did, etc. Why? How?

Show me.

Yes, that's correct. Show, not tell! And there's also so much exposition to bring 'new viewers' up to speed that it annoys the long-time viewers. When Teal'c has to explain to SG1 what an Ashrak is, it's time to reassess how they're writing the show.

I am really looking forward to seeing Corin at Gatecon, he's made the already great line-up into an even better one.

I am just hoping that Corin gets the warm reception he deserves. His character of Jonas is great, but if people don't feel the same way then they should act sensible like an adult and stay quiet. Any booing is uncalled for and very child-like, but I seriously don't think there will be any problems at the con. People at Gatecon are all extremely friendly and there for the fun, not to cause problems.

Adele
xox
http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Jonas_Quinn:alienooh:

I shall trust then in the overall polite nature of Canadians to have a saluatory effect on any anti-Jonas sentiment. :)

I think some folk are making a mountain out of a molehill ;) I'm positive CN will receive a warm welcome from fans. Virtually all fans know that CN is just an actor. THey make not like the character, but they won't take it out on the actor.

I've read some vicious posts about both character and actor -- not necessarily here though. It always concerns me when I see that the two are being confused -- or the one blamed for the other. I'd like to believe the best of all people, but I am old enough to have also seen the worst.

But for GateCon I'll put my trust in the fans and the general pleasant temperment of Canada -- a country of which I am very fond.

I have no doubt that the Gatecon fans will be very welcoming to Corin having seen their welcomes for myself! I have no particular issues with him as an actor, however I feel that the writers have made him very one-dimensional. He is doing the best he can with the small amount he has been given to work with. I also believe that he was introduced badly. It was almost as if they just shoved him in quickly and I can't understand why they felt the need to do that. The viewers would have been patient and waited for some kind of character/plot development.

I have watched the episodes, and all in all have never felt that he was prominent, despite their best efforts to make him so. He's just 'there', sort of hovering around and not really contributing much at all. But I don't blame the actor or the character for this, I blame the writers for not giving him enough to work with.

Having said all of that, there are a few episodes where RDA is just coasting along and not really contributing anything except a few nervous twitches and face grimacing, but then of course, as the star of the show, he doesn't really need to do much more to get the approbation of the fans, does he?

Jonas is okay.....he'll pass in the dark with a push!

;)

Thanks Sandman! I have been in Egypt for the last 10 days, cruising the Nile and visiting temples and tombs. It was absolutely wonderful! I had a whale of a time, but have come back with a swollen throat and Egyptian tummy!

Oh well, guess you pay a high price for hedonism!

LOL

:D