Season 1 R1 DVD Set - Whaddaya think of it?

Discussion in 'Buffy' started by Mysterious Stranger, Jun 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mysterious Stranger

Mysterious Stranger Gigi's "Spark"

Now I don't want to get off on a rant here but...

I just finished watching the entire Season 1 DVD set and all the extras (what few there were). I was wondering what some of you thought about it. I plan on posting my formal review on my website but I wanted to share some thoughts here as well.

The only major extra on this set (IMHO) is the commentary on "Welcome to the Hellmouth / The Harvest" by Joss Whedon. I thought it suffered somewhat from being a solo commentary as opposed to some of the duo and group tracks on other discs. But that doesn't mean it's bad. I think Joss did a great job and you can tell he has a really deep affection for the entire cast and crew. His love of the show is very apparent and he's not afraid to poke a little fun at himself either. All in all a pretty good listen especially if you're a hardcore fan.

The other extras pale in comparison to other discs. But I'm not going to rail on them here, I'm saving that for my site.

So what did you think of this set?
    Highlander II

Highlander II There can be only one!! Staff Member

I liked Joss' commentary - he's fun - and you get to hear about some of the things he did and why he changed things -- but that stuff interests me - I like to know 'why' and 'how' -- it's how I work --

the rest of the 'extras' weren't as good - it would have been nice for more commentary on the eps, but, it was a good start --
    Mysterious Stranger

Mysterious Stranger Gigi's "Spark"

Now I don't want to get off on a rant here but...

OK, I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I thought I'd drop it in here. I posted my "official" review of the S1 box set on my site www.geocities.com/almostahermit so check it out. Just follow the links for the "Buffy" page and let me know what you think of my thoughts.
    Highlander II

Highlander II There can be only one!! Staff Member

I thoroughly enjoyed your review. Thought it was very well done and pointed out some things that I had actually been thinking -

Like the 'go back to the main menu' thing - that bothered me - I wanted to watch 'em all w/o having to stop btwn - but, I can deal w/ the stopping.

(the thing is weird on the 2nd set - it's longer, but anyway) --

I was kind of looking for commentary on the "Angel" ep too - but was happy w/ the Joss commentary for "WttH/Harvest" ---

Excellent review on the box set -- good information.
    Aset

Aset subboreal queen

I liked it, but not really much extra's :'(
    Season 3 DVD-box was great for extra's. More is always better ;o)

:wave: Aset :wave:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.