The attitude of MGM sucks !

Geronimo

Apophis' First Prime
tec'ma'te Jaffa 'n tau'ri !

i visited a lot of sites where stargate modifications for PC games r build (e.g. http://mod.famkos.de ) from ppl which program this "mods" for no money and they don't want any money from other ppl to play this mod ...

until here it looks like that there r no probs BUT ... unfortunately this kind of games require permission of MGM ... and here is the problem : MGM don't give licenses for this games ..

it's stupid 'cos this would be a good advertisment for MGM & stargate, there would be uncountable links to the MGM website on every "mod site" and the programmer don't earn any money with this mods ... so the hell: why r they so stupid and deny these kind of games ?? much ppl, including me, wait for stargate games like this ...

the ppl of http://mod.famkos.de have nearly completed their mod ( ~ 87 %) but then the project failed due to this ******* license !

so i think there's no wonder why ppl change "vitually" to the illegal side 'cos laws like this suck !!

lek'tol,
Jaffa Geronimo of Apophis

MGM

have to admit, as a gamer, I tend to agree.

Rowan

I am doing a Stargate MOD which you may have seen in other threads, I am using the Quake 3 engine.

Although I agree with you, you have to think of it realistically. MGM want to insure that Stargate is properly portrayed, and fits in with the Stargate storyline. A few years ago this wouldnt have been a problem, but now-a-days with the sheer mass of programmers and modders, production companies have to make sure the Stargate licence is correctly used. If they were simply allow everyone to use the Stargate name for MODS then you could get the great one, and then the bad ones that completely ruin the Stargate name.

I will be contacting MGM and fowarding the storyline and past works I have done to try to convince them to allow me to use the Stargate name, but unfortunally many times they will want me to buy the Stargate licence, which unfortunally I would not be able to do. Fingers crossed they will say yes!!

Ryan

Mod

digi, Since I run Quake in all of it's various forms [and both my husband and I play a couple of combat mods that are much more realistic - pretty good MP-5, etc], I will certainly be looking for your mod. ;)

Rowan

Hey people

Sorry if I miss the point but for a MOD of a game you don't need any copyright permission and I highly doubt that they would take any action what so ever.

I agree that it is quite bad for them not to give permission but you do have to consider that MGM are a hugh company who want to make money and if they make some cash out of a game built by a company where the profits goes to MGM, the devs etc they will go with that choice instead of a free mod (which doesn't need permission anyway)

BTW - I visited your site a lot Geronimo and it was sad to see it go the same way as all the other Stargate mods have gone (you could have continued, no free mod needs a licence or anything, look at the star trek gaming community)

And I read a little while ago from the E-mail you posted up on your site that MGM did hint at a Stargate game in saying that they hope to release information 'in the coming months'

Your team's work was excellent Geronimo, I was sad to see it all go to waste.

And good luck digi_rage! I hope that we can get at least one Stargate FPS mod finished ;) :rolleyes:

ok. im finally gonna ask this. what exactly is a mod if it doesn't need a copywrite licence?

A mod...

A mod is a new set of visuals/sounds/sometimes music created to run off an existing game engine - like 'Quake'. A 'modification', not a recreation or a totally new game engine.

It is the 'child', so to speak, of the earlier 'wads' that utilized the 'Doom' and 'Doom II' game engines. There were thousands of those made and floating around. I even tried my had at a few.

I would guess you could consider them similar to fan fiction in that they use the conceptulization of the universe they are created in - in this case 'Stargate' - but aren't sold or created for profit.

It's a fine line, but one that is usually not prosecuted.

Rowan

so you modify the half life game, and put in pics of serpent guards and the gate, etc? and this is allowed as long as it's non profit, yes?

I presume that you could also "get away" with creating graphics for a Stargate Game that match the genre but aren't actually marketed as "stargate sg-1" .. perhaps "Stargaters" would be a simple enough distinction for a project Title.

I think contacting MGM would be a waste of time - it's obvious they'll say no. Just make the game, with the cool graphics, with the cool characters and just call it something else.

The best way to tackle intellectual copyright is not to infringe it in the design but "by design" .. hence it's easy enough to provide skins / files etc 3rd party which you "as the developer" have no control over.

Done from time to time in the gaming world - "The Sims" being a classic example. Are Maxis breaking copyright because their game can incorporate Stargate SG-1 characters .. Mmm I think Not !

games

Loopholes are what gamers live by.

Rowan

they're what we all live by!! how do you think i watch stargate in the UK? just call 'em previews!

Originally posted by Wingless Flyer
Hey people

Sorry if I miss the point but for a MOD of a game you don't need any copyright permission and I highly doubt that they would take any action what so ever.

I agree that it is quite bad for them not to give permission but you do have to consider that MGM are a hugh company who want to make money and if they make some cash out of a game built by a company where the profits goes to MGM, the devs etc they will go with that choice instead of a free mod (which doesn't need permission anyway)

BTW - I visited your site a lot Geronimo and it was sad to see it go the same way as all the other Stargate mods have gone (you could have continued, no free mod needs a licence or anything, look at the star trek gaming community)

And I read a little while ago from the E-mail you posted up on your site that MGM did hint at a Stargate game in saying that they hope to release information 'in the coming months'

Your team's work was excellent Geronimo, I was sad to see it all go to waste.

And good luck digi_rage! I hope that we can get at least one Stargate FPS mod finished ;) :rolleyes:

i am glad that there r so much positive responses from u but i want to remove a wrong information: i am NOT a member of the team of http://mod.famkos.de !! i am only a big fan of their project ;)

to the copyright thing: the admins of the project said that they must have a license or they can't use the names etc. from MGM's stargate .. they also told in their forum that some teams with the same idea have aborted their project 'cos of this reason, too ...

if anyone of u (like wingless and digi) have experience with that problems (an perhaps solutions) plz tell them in their forum (there's a english section on their website !!) -- i think i would speak in the name of much fans if they r able to solve this prob ..

and again: i am not a member of the website and i don't get money for advertising it -- i only want to see the stargate mod live !!

much thx in advance & lek'tol,
Jaffa Geronimo of Apophis