Neil Gaiman movie rumor

Discussion in 'Neil Gaiman' started by dwndrgn, Jun 15, 2004.

dwndrgn

dwndrgn Fierce Vowelless One Staff Member

Just heard a rumor that Neil Gaiman is behind a new movie being made by Sony about a girl in the circus who can only think of running away from the circus. After her mother falls ill she begins to dream of a second world where she must find the Mirror Mask to save the queen.
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Hm, I hope they did a better job of it than "Neverwhere", which was filmed in a sort of 1980's camp theatrical BBC style - where the sript is carried by people who call themselves "act-tors". That was my short 5 minute impression of it, and it killed my enthuisiasm.
    The Master™

The Master™ Science fiction fantasy

I thought Neverwhere was fairly good...

Okay, it was a little over the top in many places...

Was Neverwhere a Graphic Novel??? If so, I would be tempted to purchase it...
    kaneda

kaneda Did you not know?

I don't think that Gaiman was particularly impressed with the film. They kept telling him to take pieces out which led to him writing the book to include all his ideas.
    Green

Green Sick and Tired

I saw Mirrormask not so long ago. I think it probably would be fun (and creepy) for children in that kind of Labyrinth/crazy kind of way, but it was a bit too twee for adults. Nice effects and all that, though.
    the smiling weirwood

the smiling weirwood Axes and Saws Prohibited

Neverwhere was a novel published a few years back. Really good. My favorite part is this market scene where an old woman is literally hawking garbage. A little inane but I'm like that sometimes.
    Dianora

Dianora beautiful disaster

I haven't seen the Neverwhere movie, but it's a great story... I'd love to see someone do justice to it, though I guess since the first time around wasn't too great (from what most people say)... there probably won't be a second time. This is the only one of his I've read, though I have American Gods and Ansai Boys, which I'll get to in the near future.
    kaneda

kaneda Did you not know?

Just seen the original date of the post (even though I've already replied :eek:). Any news on this rumour?
    Barristan

Barristan New Member

I have heard from within the industry, that Stardust is being made into a movie. I have a friend who works in the special effects business and has been working pre-production stuff for the last 6 months.

Cool!!
    Marya

Marya friendly wood nymph

It sounds like Mirrormask which has already been made. It's out on DVD.

And yes, Stardust is being made (filmed in Scotland I believe). Neil Gaiman regularly talks about it on his blog.
    Nesacat

Nesacat The Cat

Mirrormask is already out on DVD. It was only released in the smaller cinemas and not in many countries either. It was very well done this movie and I wish I could have caught it on the big screen. Has one Lovecraft inspired scene with tentacles coming out of the sky. :)

Stardust is being filmed and it has Michelle Pfeiffer as the witch. It is looking good. Tristan Thorn is played by Charlie Cox and the fallen star is Claire Danes. Am really looking forward to this one.

Have also heard that there's going to be a movie of Death: The High Cost of Living but have not been able to find out much about it. Anyone heard anything?
    Marya

Marya friendly wood nymph

I found a small article from July 22 on a site called SuperHero Hype ( I can't post a link yet so I quoted it). It seems it's a matter of finding the right people.

rune

rune rune

I finally got to see this movie recently, and quite enjoyed it.I think the strangeness of the story was well presented in the movie :D
    StoryMask

StoryMask Seraph Hunter

I purchased it a month ago and really enjoyed it; as did my nieces and nephews. Felt like a dark Oz with some enjoyable dialogue, good pacing, and excellent art direction.

I also read a while back that they're making Coraline into an animated film, but can't relocate the source I found it in. Oh well, I hope it's true.
    DarkIntentions

DarkIntentions The bearded lady.

I saw it at the cinema i've got it on Dvd. :)

I always remember it cos i got sent home from school and my sister was lyk ; ''YEAH NOW WE CAN GO TO THE CINEMA'

i mainly went to the cinema cos i know Mirrormask was created by the same makes as Labrynth (starring David Bowie) <3

But i came away a fan.
    Leonardo

Leonardo Child of the Internet

Stardust being made into a movie! Aww. That book is so cute! Now you got me all excited!

IMDB lists Ian McKellen as the narrator - That's always nice. He has such a grandfathersy voice, makes me feel like a little kid.

Also, it seems Robert De Niro is playing Captain Shakespear. I'm not sure how to take that...