What was the last movie you saw?

Rope (1948)

Rope2.jpg

One of my favorite Jimmy Stewart movies and definitely an under appreciated Hitchcock film.

Big Trouble in Little China (1986). I've been reading the comic book series and I just had to watch it again. It's one of my favourite films.

Eric Powell has been doing a great job on the comic series it's a lot of fun. You might be interested in checking out his comic The Goon if you haven't already.

Priscilla,Queen of the Desert
oldie ,but goodie
Zany road /slice of life/ALMOST satirical fly on the wall movie,Stamp, Weaving and Pearce in topform
Outrageous costume design,BTW:D
Stamp is great in this one
He's had a variegated career,a rare case of r the "relatively unknown top actor"
Go see The Limey(if you doubt that qualification)

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933)

TestamentOfDrMabuse-Poster.jpg

One of my favorite Fritz Lang movies which is no small feat given his body of work. I was absolutely blown away by the quality of this film. It's worth watching for the opening scene in the print shop alone.

The Watch - Ben Stiller, Jonah Hill, Vince Vaughn and, randomly, Richard Ayoade, inadvertently discover aliens threatening their little town in Ohio, and then the world. This is a bad film. Avoid.

Game of Death (1978)

Game-of-death-poster.jpg

The end of this movie where Bruce Lee fights his way up the inside of the pagoda is one of the greatest fight sequences ever filmed.

If you like martial arts movies, have you seen the Indonesian movies The Raid 1 and The Raid 2? Very good action sequences in those movies as well.

Bride of the Monster - Ed Wood's near masterpiece of wrongness which I shared with Number One Daughter as a prelude to tonight's watch of Burton's Ed Wood. (She is already familiar with Plan 9.)

I was surprised (but only slightly) to find I own three copies of Bride of the Monster all carefully filed in different collections.

Bug (1975)

Directed by Jeannot Szwarc; written by William Castle and Thomas Page, from Page's novel The Hephaestus Plague.

Spoilers ahead.

The last film produced by legendary shockmaster Castle turns out to have nearly as outrageous a premise as The Tingler. It takes a while to get going, but things eventually evolve from semi-plausible to completely insane as our story progresses.

We begin in a church somewhere in California. The fire-and-brimstone preacher is going on about America's sinful ways, when an earthquake hits. The scenes of the church being shaken are quite convincing, our first sign that this movie is going to have some visually impressive scenes.

Pretty soon we find out that the quake has opened up a big hole in the ground on a nearby farm. As a son drives his father home from the church, their pick-up truck stalls, then suddenly blows up in a huge fireball. The surviving brother and sister are understandably upset by this.

If you don't know the basic plot of this movie at all, by now you're scratching your head. It's quickly revealed that the big hole has released an unknown species of huge cockroach which has the ability to start fires! Not only do we see them crawl into exhaust pipes and blow up cars more than once, we also see them burn a poor little kitty cat to death.

Our antihero is played by Bradford Dillman. He's some kind of expert in biology. We see him in a classroom making squirrel noises in order to entice a real squirrel into sitting on his shoulder. (Obviously this is a tame pet squirrel, and it's as cute as can be.)

Well, after some scenes of stuff being set on fire, it turns out the bugs can't survive too long, because they're used to the high pressure underground. They literally pop open after a while. End of movie? No, we're barely started.

In a scene which is sickeningly funny, Dillman's wife gets a bug in her hair (wig) and burns to death. This sends the eccentric biologist over the edge. He finds one surviving bug next to the big hole; all the others have exploded. He places this one inside a pressurized diving helmet (!) to keep it alive, then mates it with a plain old everyday ordinary cockroach. This Mad Science leads to a bunch of fire-producing cockroaches that can tolerate the low pressure.

Apparently the whole point of keeping the one bug alive was to have it killed by its offspring, as we see Dillman go into hysterics as the youngsters burn up their progenitor. Unfortunately, these new critters not only have a taste for "raw meat" (and yes, that's going to include human flesh) but, in the movie's most outrageous scene, they apparently share a group mind, and can form words (like "we live") with their bodies!

But that's not all. As we reach the final few minutes of the film, the bugs (who have killed another person, and gone to the trouble of hiding the evidence by dumping her purse in the hole) emerge from the big hole (now glowing satanic red, I suppose from their fire-producing power) with the ability to fly! And they can set off big ground fires while they fly, like some kind of insect napalm. Not only that, but they can smash right through a plate glass window!

You might expect this to be the start of a huge cataclysm of intelligent, flying, fire-producing, flesh-eating bugs, but in fact our movie is over. Dillman falls into the hole after being chased by the bugs, they fall in after him, then another earthquake seals them back in the ground.

Wow. This goofy ending reminds me, in a way, of the nutty climax of The Manitou. Although Bug slows down a bit in the middle, the really excellent insect photography (both real Madagascar giant hissing cockroaches and some nifty models) holds the viewer's attention.

Indeed. Surprisingly touching for a film which could have easily just been "let's make fun of this crossdressing guy who made really bad movies with some other weird people." Landau's Lugosi deserved its Oscar.

It's a love letter to Hollywood. And I think Tim Burton's best film. Landau is amazing in it and well deserved his Oscar (as did Rick Baker for his make up).

The scene in the fun house where he tells his date he likes to wear women's clothes and she says "okay"is just lovely.

I saw Trainwreck the new Judd Apatow comedy this weekend. It had a few funny parts but after the movie, i realized it was 2 hours and nothing happened.

We also have been trying to do one horror movie a weekend and this weeks was Oculus. For a seemingly low-budget film, it looked very good, and the acting wasn't too bad. Rory Cochrane is in it, and i guess the girl in it is in Doctor Who and Guardians of the Galaxy (didnt know that until I just looked it up) I liked how they kept flashing back to scenes from when they were kids, and what happened. The plot was a little too light, but they did a couple things I hadn't seen yet.

Rodan! The Flying Monster (1956)

Rodan_poster.jpg

One of my favorite Ishirō Honda movies, an excellent Toho film and one of the best monster movies of the Showa era. The production value is a huge step up from the original Gojira just a few years earlier.

Phase Four. Telepathic ants in the desert start to organise. By the end it looks like they are going to take over. Great ant-action, very detailed, must have spent a fortune training the little beggars. There's a deleted ending on youTube that makes it a little more comprehensible. Not action-packed, not bad at all.