What was the last movie you saw?

Stranded. New. Spoilage.> Meteors hit the mining station. There is concern that escaping gas may cause hallucinations. Next thing you know, spores that are on the meteors infect people. The gal becomes instantly pregnant. Much ado as the station is falling apart... no aliens... but then, the girl has a kid, a monster kid, just poof, like that. It runs off and terrorizes the place (using the air vents to move around).. or is it a hallucination? By the end, it may as well be.

I find there is very little refreshing in the comedy scene these days. It's either Adam Sandler type stuff or Will Ferrell improv stuff. It's all great for a couple of films, but, the improv especially (bizarrely) gets old after any more than that I find. I think it's because they are all improv-ing the same jokes and same Will Ferrell styles...

The "I like rape" line is a bit cringemaking these days though.

Tonight I subjected my best beloved to the joys of the incredibly awful Blood Suckers aka Incense for the Damned a deliriously awful psycho/socio/eroto/vampiry/thrillery mess of a film that hit the financial buffers during shooting, lay on a shelf for a couple of years before an attempt was made to nailed together a coherent story from the footage they did manage to get. They failed. The DVD version I have would have been better if they had stuck back in the drug-fuelled orgy scene that the later producer/editors shot to pad the thing out to feature length. (Luckily it's included as a deleted scene on the disc.) Wonderfully crap and a must-see for all bad movie buffs. A real cracker.

Ah, not Bloodsuckers from Outer Space (1984) but in fact rubbish from 1970, I'm on it. Aha, here it is, gathering dust on a disc. Never seen.
Meanwhile, Into The Grizzly Maze (2015) is a new action/ursine woodsy barnburner... and as you may imagine, Mr. Grizzly is very angry and doesn't seem to mind bullets so much, so the action is acceptable, quite bearable in fact.

Solomon Northup's Odyssey (1984)

Before he was Hawk on Spencer: For Hire and A Man Called Hawk, and before he was Commander Benjamin Sisko on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Avery Brooks had his first film role in this adaptation of Solomon Northup's true narrative 12 Years a Slave, which of course was adapted into the film of the same name a couple of years ago.

Directed by the great Gordon Parks, this was shown on PBS as part of its American Playhouse series, although it's really a feature film. It's nicely filmed on a modest budget, making good use of locations in Savannah, Georgia, as well as an old sailing ship. It does not follow the book quite as closely as the later film. In particular, it adds a romance between Northup and a fellow slave for which there is no evidence in his account. Its depiction of slavery isn't quite as brutal as the later adaptation, but the story is certainly powerful enough. B-movie fans will note John Saxon as one of the slave owners, and he does a good job.

The Black Hole. Disney. 1979. Gosh, because of what was happening in 1979, I had never seen this. Seems disbelievable... but I guess I just assumed yeah, I saw that... but hadn't. It was a bit of fun. I like the old miniature FX. Now, I'm out of rare SF-related stuff..... hellp!

You have to dig deep... I'm looking at The Human Vapor, Calamity of Snakes.... err.. Thunder of Gigantic Serpent, Tyranno's Claw... that sort of thing. Way off the radar. I had most available SF rubbish on VHS starting 82ish. Just watched The Super Inframan again, what great sets.
I'm also a Bart the Bear fan... poor old guy is deceased... but he was great in Into The Grizzly Maze, and apparently some earlier flicks. Raised in captivity, Bart was a better actor than some humans.

Cloud Atlas.
visually very good,Broadbent is excellent,haven't read the book,so: totally unprejudiced
Dystopian future,some farcical stuff,some thriller stuff,costume drama,but does it work?
Some of it does.
It manages to be spellbinding and tiresome at the same time,go figure.

3 bad 'uns in one night. Good thing I had a book to read. Really. I read some Kate Wilhelm while the three movies listed above went by, or I would have been unable to stay awake. The highlight of Tyranno's Claw is that it has no dialogue, only caveman grunting. Next*