What was the last movie you saw?

Watched at home during my week off:

The Hanging Tree (1959)

Based on the novella of the same name by acclaimed Western writer Dorothy M. Johnson. Gary Cooper is a physician with a dark past (not the same as in the story) who arrives in a mining camp in Montana in the Old West. A woman barely survives being lost in the wilderness after the coach bringing her and her father to the place is attacked by bandits and her father killed. Cooper takes her in and slowly heals her. (Her body is burned all over and she is temporarily blinded by the sun.) (Minor change: She's an immigrant instead of an American [to explain the accent of Maria Schell playing the part, I suppose.] Major change: She fails to suffer the psychological damage in the story, which renders her unable to leave the cabin where she is healed.) Karl Malden is around as a guy who wants her to invest in his gold mine, and who is our antagonist. There's also a young guy who tries to steal gold, is wounded by gunfire, and is taken in by Cooper as a kind of indentured servant. Also around is George C. Scott as a crazy preacher. (These characters are in the story as well.)

***SPOILER*** (In the unlikely event you'll rush out to see this.)

It keeps the story's climax, in which the woman saves Cooper from THE HANGING TREE by throwing a bunch of gold from the successful mine at the lynch mob.

***END SPOILER***

Overall, it follows the novella fairly well, and is a pretty decent Western.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST 1968 - Has a such a powerful convergence of imagery and sound.
Although some say the story is about how the gunfighter is made extinct by the arrival of civilization--
all the male characters are doomed. They all die or have a fate that suggests extinction. The homesteader, the railroad baron, even Harmonica. Only the woman who will become some kind of den mother for the workers but not a homesteader herself.

I am not sure the Cheyenne death scene really works here because we never have any indication he had been shot. I assume they filmed it that way deliberately because they expected to cut it for the American release. If it is removed, then the two characters simply disappear out the door and the focus is on Jill as she walks outside with the water. Not sure that extra scene serves a value for the characters especially Harmonica. It's an unnecessary bromance in my opinion. Because Harmonica's business was concluded with Frank's death and he seemed to be departing on his own--and Cheyenne was going to do the same. The inclusion of it was a kind of sentimental epilogue to punctuate that he would be riding off into oblivion. I haven't seen the US release which removed that scene--but I prefer the US release of The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST 1968 - Has a such a powerful convergence of imagery and sound.
Although some say the story is about how the gunfighter is made extinct by the arrival of civilization--
all the male characters are doomed. They all die or have a fate that suggests extinction. The homesteader, the railroad baron, even Harmonica. Only the woman who will become some kind of den mother for the workers but not a homesteader herself.

I am not sure the Cheyenne death scene really works here because we never have any indication he had been shot. I assume they filmed it that way deliberately because they expected to cut it for the American release. If it is removed, then the two characters simply disappear out the door and the focus is on Jill as she walks outside with the water. Not sure that extra scene serves a value for the characters especially Harmonica. It's an unnecessary bromance in my opinion. Because Harmonica's business was concluded with Frank's death and he seemed to be departing on his own--and Cheyenne was going to do the same. The inclusion of it was a kind of sentimental epilogue to punctuate that he would be riding off into oblivion. I haven't seen the US release which removed that scene--but I prefer the US release of The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.
I :love: that movie. It is in my personal top-10 movie-list. It is also one of the first movies (not the first) I watched in cinema. It impressed me no end.
I am not sure I understand your doubts about Cheyenne's death scene. You don't have to see someone being shot to believe he really is fatally wounded. Did it have a function here? I think so.
You have two men, more or less similar in not being the family type, who respect each other. They both lead lives that were essentially dead-ended by nature; an outlaw and a gunman looking for revenge.
For the outlaw being shot (or jailed for life) was the most likely outcome. It was just cynical that he got killed as he was helping Jill.
His whole adult life Harmonica had been driven by and chasing Frank to have his revenge. Once done it would take him time to find himself back and decide what next to do with his life. Staying at Sweetwater Ranch would have driven him crazy, despite his laid back attitude. Which is also cynical in a way, because in other circumstances he could have found some happiness in Jill.
There has been some sexual tension between Jill and Harmonica in every scene. To make that ending work.

Taxi Driver. A socially awkward veteran with mental issues takes up a gig as a taxi driver, becomes infatuated and is spurned by a young campaign worker, begins working on a plan to shoot the politician she's campaigning for, and is then sidelined when he sees a child prostitute and decides to save her from her pimps.

Reacting to Victoria and numerous other posters. It would be appreciated if streaming or other sources of access could be stated. Of course it might be non-US (as that is where I reside) but generally a poster knows where they found it and it is a courtesy for those who value the opinions of reviewers,

Generally (unless otherwise stated) I watch on DVD (very occasionally VHS ). I don't subscribe to any streaming services and have enough unwatched DVDs piled up to keep me going for a couple of years.

Grumpy Old Men (1993) - Stars: Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau & Ann-Margret. Two elderly frenemies routinely tussle with each other for decades, until a new neighbor arrives which changes everything. I haven't watched this film in a long time. I saw it last night. I laughed, I cried, I kissed two hours goodbye. Wonderful movie. Very recommendable along with many great actors filling the gaps excellently.

I :love: that movie. It is in my personal top-10 movie-list. It is also one of the first movies (not the first) I watched in cinema. It impressed me no end.
That must have been an experience to see it in a theater.
The thing is

There's no indication he was shot. That's the first thing. It's not something you ignore for a cup of coffee and a shave.
But it seems to me that Harmonica was not expecting Cheyenne to join him. I.e. "I'll wait for you outside." Nothing like that because we are supposed to get the idea that Harmonica only existed because of Frank (although it seemed to me that the brother was some kind of gunfighter rather than a rancher or farmer--Harmonica may have ended up a gunfighter anyway). He had been stalking him for years. It's not a celebratory thing. His reason for existing was accomplished. Cheyenne was suggesting that he was messed up---he wasn't going to be civilized or made into a homesteader. And neither was Cheyenne even though he was more personal and understanding.

I guess we could say Cheyenne had become a friend since he saved him--but it seems to me that seeing them together was not necessary.

They had exited the story--leaving the focus on Jill and the workers.
It's just something that has rubbed me wrong in every viewing.
I suppose it's ironic that Morton shot him but he was so feeble--it's hard to visualize.

This is like the letter scene in Vertigo--is it better to see it or not?

Reacting to Victoria and numerous other posters. It would be appreciated if streaming or other sources of access could be stated. Of course it might be non-US (as that is where I reside) but generally a poster knows where they found it and it is a courtesy for those who value the opinions of reviewers,
Oh, and by the way. I greatly appreciate this commentary on genre that most of us have forgotten. Thank you Victoria.
I'm not always good about that so, recent watches,

WITCHBOARD (1986) dir. Keven Tenney; starring Tawny Kitaen, Todd Allen, Stephen Nichols
Re-animator (1985) dir. Stuart Gordon; starring Jeffrey Combs, Bruce Abbott, Barbara Crampton
Suitable Flesh (2023) dir. Joe Lynch; starring Heather Graham, Judah Lewis, Bruce Davidson, Barbara Crampton, Jonathan Schaech
Baron Blood (1972) dir. Mario Bava; starring Joseph Cotton, Elke Sommer, Massimo Girotti
-- all on Shudder

From Beyond (1986) dir. Stuart Gordon; starring Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton, Ted Sorel, Ken Foree
Flesh & Blood: The Hammer Heritage of Horror (1994) dir. Ted Newsom; narrators: Chirstopher Lee, Peter Cushing
Mr. Holmes (2015) dir. Bill Condon; starring Ian McKellen, Laura Linney, Milo Parker
Stripped to Kill (1987) dir. Katt Shea; starring Kay Lenz, Greg Evigan, Norman Fell
-- all on Amazon Prime

CANNON FOR CORDOBA - 1970 - A US western shot in Spain but shows a few Italian influences. George Peppard is a soldier hired for a mission to take down a Mexican rebel leader and doesn't flinch when the brother of a comrade is tortured by fire (I suspect the Harmonica hanging scene was an inspiration). It doesn't re-invent the wheel and I don't find it as satisfying as some lesser known Eurowesterns along a similar plot--and the ending is strangely abrupt, but it is re-watchable (since this is the third time I have seen it).
The commentary track for it indicates the film was the bottom feature on a drive-in circuit.
While watching I was thinking how this would have been if shot like OUATITW ( Aldo Sambrell, who appeared in that film and just about every European western ever made or imagined shows up in this as well).

Belle Starr (1941) - Gone With the Wind on a budget of tens as Gene Teirney and Randolf Scott fight on after the Civil War has ended, defending the South and fighting for what they believed in without ever actually stating what that was. A few nice beauty shots which looked like they were cribbed from William Cameron Menzies' sketchbook but otherwise pretty routine stuff. I really don't understand Hollywood's Golden Era obsession with portraying the Southern defeat as some kind of great tragedy.

Legend (1985)

Stunningly gorgeous to look at -- stills from this film would look like pages from a book of fantasy art -- with superb sets, costumes, and makeup, and yet . . .

The story could have been created by tearing random pages from Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, J. M. Barrie, and a book of fairy tales, cutting them up, and pasting them together. A nicer way to say that would be that the plot is as archetypical as it could be. Good and Evil, Light and Darkness. (In brief, the Lord of Darkness wants to bring eternal night to the world by killing the only two unicorns in existence. Opposed to this are our heroes. Goblins, fairies, elves, dwarves, witches, etc.)

The electronic music by Tangerine Dream is surprisingly effective, but the TWO pop songs at the end ruin things. Tim Curry, under tons of prostheses and makeup, is superb as the Lord of Darkness, and steals the film from our vapid innocent lovers: Jack (a boyish Tom Cruise) and Lily (Mia Sara, starting off looking like the beautiful princess every little girl wants to be; when the Lord of Darkness attempts to win her, she is transformed into the most gorgeous Goth Girl you've ever seen.) Too much comedy relief from the goblins and dwarves. (The fact that one of the dwarves is named Screwball and is played by Billy Barty gives you a clue.) Not a lot of plot logic.

Turn off your brain and enjoy it as eye candy and ear candy.

100 Ghost Street: The Return of Richard Speck also known as Paranormal Entity 4 apparently.
Bunch of guys check out the story of Richard Speck who abused and murdered people years ago, and to see if their equipment can pick up anything.
Not bad actually, though I was unaware there were 3 previous entries, as IMDb doesn't recognise 100 Ghost Street

Legend (1985)

Stunningly gorgeous to look at -- stills from this film would look like pages from a book of fantasy art -- with superb sets, costumes, and makeup, and yet . . .

The story could have been created by tearing random pages from Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, J. M. Barrie, and a book of fairy tales, cutting them up, and pasting them together. A nicer way to say that would be that the plot is as archetypical as it could be. Good and Evil, Light and Darkness. (In brief, the Lord of Darkness wants to bring eternal night to the world by killing the only two unicorns in existence. Opposed to this are our heroes. Goblins, fairies, elves, dwarves, witches, etc.)

The electronic music by Tangerine Dream is surprisingly effective, but the TWO pop songs at the end ruin things. Tim Curry, under tons of prostheses and makeup, is superb as the Lord of Darkness, and steals the film from our vapid innocent lovers: Jack (a boyish Tom Cruise) and Lily (Mia Sara, starting off looking like the beautiful princess every little girl wants to be; when the Lord of Darkness attempts to win her, she is transformed into the most gorgeous Goth Girl you've ever seen.) Too much comedy relief from the goblins and dwarves. (The fact that one of the dwarves is named Screwball and is played by Billy Barty gives you a clue.) Not a lot of plot logic.

Turn off your brain and enjoy it as eye candy and ear candy.
good review.
I principally remember this film as Tom Cruise before he got his teeth straightened.

There is something that occurred to me

on the Cheyenne issue

it made some sense in that there was no closure for the Cheyenne character otherwise. The others had some kind of final shift in status but he did not--if he just walked out there wouldn't have been anything for him--unless the audience could see that he had been shot and could speculate on his fate. But that would have been too vague. The fact that Morton shot him was meant to be ironic--because unlike Harmonica, Cheyenne was not on a mission in life--he was just taking what came his way. So the fact that he was mortally wounded by a fluke encounter--that's sort of fitting. If he had just walked out the door, it would have been underwhelming since he didn't get his spotlight moment.

Legend (1985)
Yeah that was my reaction. I felt it was strongly influenced by KRULL--the relationship between the captive women and the giant monster in that was similar. I am not a fan of the music and the songs at the end either.
Also, Jack does pretty much nothing of value in the story and as cool as Tim Curry's appearance is--and a couple of lines he has, he doesn't do much of value to me. It is very much style over substance.
I got more out of KRULL and HAWK THE SLAYER for fantasy thrills.

Robert Picardo's scene is really the highlight of the film IMO. Everyone talked about Curry but that witch is quite an achievement and the performance (while completely buried under rubber) is great. The last time I watched it--I was surprised how muted Curry is--his voice is altered, and he doesn't do much that is threatening actually. It is mostly posturing.
The water witch is the stand out for menace.

Last edited:
Dune 2 (still in our theater), My 18 year old grandson really wanted to go and not alone, so I was asked. Happy to oblige. I felt this was marginally better than Dune, once again outstanding cinematography. This is the way I imagined Dune! But still very light on plot. Having read the books I found I could follow the gist of it. The strength of the religious emphasis surprised me. When I read the book I guess I had been sort of taking the prophecy aspects of the story aside from the religious fanaticism from which they spring. My grandson who is not a reader surprised me when he said that he really enjoyed the show. I would have thought that there was too little plot to be enjoyable for someone who hadn't read the books. In my opinion if you can choose between reading the books and seeing the first two parts of this series. Read the books!

Avoid --- Not Recommended --- Flawed --- Okay --- Good --- Recommended --- Shouldn’t be Missed

You Can't Kill Stephen King
Silly horror spoof in which a bunch of guys go to the lake where the great man lives (?) and stuff happens. Quite a few SK references but it didn't work for me