Best Robert Heinlein novel?

Here you go:

Heinlein juveniles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, I've also seen in several places (some quite authoritative) that Starship Troopers was intended as the culmination of that series -- something with which I'd agree, as it seems to be the capstone for exploring various ideas he'd been developing throughout them -- but that his editor strongly objected to this being published as a juvenile. And I think I'd also include Podkayne of Mars, even though it wasn't part of the original set... again, because of tone, and the ideas he's exploring in it....

EDIT: I'd forgotten that Heinlein himself had addressed that point... yes, it was an outgrowth of his Puddin' stories....

Aha good to know.

Man i have gone too long since i read Heinlein last.

Gotta ask whats the deal with my copy of The Moon in my BS.

Its good to see some love for ST. I thought first that it was extra good cause it was my first book of him. Its interesting seeing its many RAH fans fav.

I don't know about "the best", because I haven't read them all, but Number of the Beast is the one that appeals to me most, and the one I'm most likely to re-read. I really like the theory that all fictional worlds actually exist somewhere! I do get bored with with the "anything goes in sex" theme though.

My personal favorite is Starship Troopers. It was one of those rare books I read that I had to sit down and finish no matter what. I think I made it through the whole thing in about two sittings. You have to eat sometime, you know.

I have to cast my vote not for a novel, but the superlative anthology, 'The Past Through Tomorrow.' Especially the combined (single volume) edition.

My personal favorite is Starship Troopers. It was one of those rare books I read that I had to sit down and finish no matter what. I think I made it through the whole thing in about two sittings. You have to eat sometime, you know.

Definately!!!!!!!!

I also have a huge soft spot for "Tunnel In The Sky"

And although really a collection of connected shorts "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" I cried my eyes out at the last story - Requium - Only science fiction story to do that to me

Definately!!!!!!!!

I also have a huge soft spot for "Tunnel In The Sky"

And although really a collection of connected shorts "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" I cried my eyes out at the last story - Requium - Only science fiction story to do that to me

Eh? Are you perhaps referring to The Man Who Sold the Moon? The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was his Hugo-winning novel, whereas TMWSTM is a story collection concluding with "Requiem".... They are, however, somewhat related....

Only read a handful but Stranger...has to be top of the list. Whats Number of the Beast like?

I have Number of The Beast, i havent read it cause it was explained to me that it was like his later books strange or something specially if you havent read his early work. I only know that it isnt good place to start.

Which RAH books did you read ? What did you think of them ? I didnt know you were a fellow Heinlein fan :)

Hi Conn,yes i like RAH too. Have read Stranger in a Strange land which was brilliant. Also Puppet Masters was good and Waldo & Magic Inc. Have also read a few later Lazarus Long books(Cat Who Walks Through walls,Job etc) and one or two others. Quite like his style.

Eh? Are you perhaps referring to The Man Who Sold the Moon? The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was his Hugo-winning novel, whereas TMWSTM is a story collection concluding with "Requiem".... They are, however, somewhat related....

See what happens when you get old :eek:

Off course you are a hundred percent right. I dont think I have been this wrong since John Lennon left the Stones :eek:

Off course you are a hundred percent right. I dont think I have been this wrong since John Lennon left the Stones :eek:

Lol @MG!

Lol @MG!

I'm currently reading Orphans of the Sky(halfway through Common Sense), and i'm enjoying it,previous to this i'd only read Glory Road.

rating out of 10
7.5 for Glory Road
7(so far) for Orphans

Only read a handful but Stranger...has to be top of the list. Whats Number of the Beast like?

Number of the Beast is a great book, although it does fade out towards the end.
there are some of RAH's best logical explanations for how something impossible should and could work.

it would be a good idea to read Methusela's Children and Time Enough For Love before reading Number (you could also read Revolt in 2100 before those, but that isn't as important)

Starship Troopers. It is short and brilliant. Top notch sci-fi.