What book are you reading right now? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I finished Spike and Dru -- bad bad book -

Started a Laurell K. Hamilton novel, but gave up and started on Storm Front, by Jim Butcher again --- it's much better and I want to read it to catch anything I might have missed the first time

I have just recently read (while stuck on trains, buses, subways) Thirteen Days. It is a memoir, written by Robert F Kennedy, about the behind the scenes turmoil in the US government at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis.
There was recently a Kevin Costner movie that used this memoir as one if its primary sources. I highly recommend both - if you are interested in this period of history of course!

I am currently trying out my first Star Wars book, Vector Prime. It is the first in the NJO books, and I haven't decided whether I like it or not yet.

I have "Thirteen Days" - haven't read it yet - but I have it - among a whole bunch of other books on the Kennedy family and the JFK assassination (was kind of my 'key interest' for a while) -- it is an interesting period of history --

Still working on "Storm Front" (for the 2nd time) but it may get put on hold while I do some fanfic scribbling instead --

I have a bit of a thing for the Kennedys too - did you see the series of documentaries on them on A&E earlier this year? Very interesting.

There is a great book by Christopher Kennedy (I think) about the rivalry between JFK and Nixon - I have read it many many times now, totally fsacinating.

4 me it's 'Against The Odds: Jordan's Drive 2 Win' & it covers the 1998 season right up 2 their 1st historic win at the Belguim Grand Prix

:blush:

I'm reading a book and a play.

1. The play is called 'A View From The Bridge' by Arthur Miller. I love the character of Eddie and despite the fact that the play is rather short, it is surprisingly moving and sligtly unsettling at the same time.

2. The book is called ' The Last Coyote' by Michael Connelly. It's one of a series of books about LAPD detective Hieronymus 'Harry' Bosch. They are NOT for the faint-hearted or those people who are easily offened since they all deal with adult issues (i.e. the Hollywood vice division) but they are an insightful view of the dark side of LA through the eyes of a far-from-saintly, lonely police officer (albeit a man who tries to be decent) and they were written by an ex-police reporter for the LAPD too.

Still in the middle of R.A. Salvatore's "Transendance". I haven't gotten the time to read this week. Hopefully I will this weekend. :)

This weekend, I have to beta a couple of fanfics for a friend. I hope to get time to finish the story, & start on Elizabeth Hayden's (sp?) Prophecy, the sequel to Rhapsody, which is an excellent fantasy story featuring a female bard as a main character who is basically a half-elf, though the series gives a different name to the elves. She & 2 companions -- one a half-human, half-giant assassin with a very interesting magical talent, and the other a full giant, IIRC -- magically travel forward in time to the future and discover that they are part of a prophecy. Very interesting stuff.

Too many books to read, too little time!

Still reading through ideas 2 add 2 mine aswell so that's taking a fair amount of time 4 me

:blush:

I finished Transcendence on Sunday afternoon. It's a great read.
May do some reading this weekend if I get time. I'm going to a con in ND on Friday.

I'm reading "The complete History Of Jack the Ripper" - the latest edition by Philip Sugden.
(Yes Tabitha, maybe I do have an obsession ;))

527 pages of detective work studying the facts, the suspects, the victims, and the mythology around the Whitechapel murder mystery.
It's an interesting read and well researched.

i have jst started reading THe Scarlet PPimpernell- haven't got very far but the first few pages are exceedingly well written.Im also 80 pages away from the end of The Hobbit.:rolly2:

wish i had more time to read!:mad:

Welcome Prancing Pony.

I'm impressed. The Scarlet Pimpernel is an exciting book. A little florrid in parts, sometimes a little difficult to read, but good.

I've just finished 'The Moon's a Baloon' the autobiography of the late David Niven. It is as hilarious as the first time I read it.

Originally posted by ray gower
I've just finished 'The Moon's a Baloon' the autobiography of the late David Niven. It is as hilarious as the first time I read it.

You know, I half-inched that from my uncle, and it has been sitting on my shelf gathering dust for about five years - sounds like I should give it a go.

I am reading "The Final Days", about the last few months of the Nixon Administration, by authors who are arguably partially responsible for his downfall: Woodward and Bernstein.
It is compelling, doesn't feel like a history book, more like a political thriller. I have always been drawn to the tragic character of Richard Nixon - he was a bit (!) of a megalomaniac, but I think he did a lot more good than he has been given credit for.

Currently skip reading another autobiography- 'Don't Laugh at Me' by Norman Wisdom.

I saw him some years ago in a one man show and it has taken until now to find the book.

His humour isn't just for the stage like Eric Morcambe or Spike Milligan. It is real and all pervading. Even when describing how he was beaten by his father, or walking to London with his brother as a child to look for work in the 1920's (He got down on his knees to beg at the docks).

Status
Not open for further replies.