The Last Unicorn (1982)

Asmiley

lost in Time
I go to Acen every year. and now I go to 2 scifi c
The Last Unicorn... Movie Not the book.

One excellent movie That I've loved ever since I was little. I think everyone should see it at least once.

It's actually a cartoon. Now I don't know the lines exactly by heart but I've seen it enough to give you the basics of the movie... It starts with a scene in the woods. two hunters enter...they're talking about how strange it is they haven't seen any game in the forest...
Hunter1: we won't find anything here.
Hunter 2: Why not?
Hunter 1: A unicorn Guards this forest.
Hunter 2: A unicorn?*scoffs*
Hunter 1: yes a unicorn.
HUnter 2: Do you really believe A unicorn is here?
Hunter 1: well if there is it's the last.
HUnter 2: the last?
hunter 1: The last unicorn.
They begin to leave the forest...
Hunter1: Farewell Unicorn. never leave your home into this wretched world we live in. Stay safe and guard your forest from the cruel seasons and keep yourself safe within your boundries.

HE says this loudly as they exit. all along we see a unicorn white and pretty in drawing I envy the artist that made thi movie.
It goes to her thoughts... a lovely female voiceover...

Unicorn: Is it true? what did that man mean I'm the last Unicorn?
we hide ourselves well but I wonder is it true? Am I truely the last Unicorn?

she ponders this and being ends up near the edge of her forest. a silly looking Butterfly with a gotee and a scarf and cool sunglasses comes in singing silly stories and bits of things... she asks him if he knows what she is. he goes on ranting adn singing silly nonsense. when she seems to have given up hope that he even knows what she is he says in a serious tone:
By definition.. ooni cornus, one horn, Unicorn.
Unicorn: You do know what I am! Tell me butterfly have you ever seen any others? any like me?
Again the butterfly goes into silly ravings but stops short when she questions him again and was ready to say good bye.

Butterfly: They all were driven off long ago by the great Red bull...

There's a whole story to that. in wich he says. and she goes off to find the Unicorns if indeed she is the last one she has to know. she runs into a couple of men who think she is nothing but a mare. she's steamed that they mistake her for a common mare of course and she gallops away graciosly thinking of why they didn't recognizwe her. She falls in a horrible meeting with a horrible circus madam that uses cheap magic illusions to make a circus of mysterious and dangerous creatures.

almost all of the creatures in the cirucus are not real. the madame of the show makes them look real. The unicorn only notices this after Smendrick the Magician who is an amature magician(knows a few simple magician tricks... like flowers out of wand. not a bad juggler if I do say so myself) tells her he knows she's real even without the madames illusion for the weak minded to recognize. She and only one other in the entire circus are real creatures. the other imortal being is a harpie. a great vulture of a bird that gives the chills just at the sound of it cries. anyway smendrick tells the unicorn how the harpie will be the death of madame that she should have left the real alone. the unicorn chats with smendrick and says how horrible it is for her to be in a cage.
(you really should rent the movie. I know I'm not doing it justice.) She also says that he should relaese the Harpie too.

but they have thier converse cut short when the other guy (that travels with the circus who gives the tour of the animalsa adn is really quite a piratish lookin fellow) interupts them saying to smendrick he shouldn't be there. before smendrick goes he wispers to the unicorn that he'll be back late that night to free her.

when he does finally arrive it's almost dusk. he had to get rid of the other guy by giving him a riddle(the tell tale classic of "How is a raven like a writning Desk") becuase the guy is suposedly sloww of wit. wich since he couldn't tell the unicorn from amare either it seems right. any way he frees her and she frees all the animals and is about to open the Harpies cage even with all of smedric's protesting when the guy comes out and says to smendrick:
Okay I give up. How is a raven like a writing desk?

then he sees what's going on and calls out to madame...(I can't really remember her name) to come and see what smendrick's done as she gets out The unicorn releases the Harpie. the harpie then goes and attacks the tuanting witch(er Madame) after she says" I owned you. you'll always remember that I... owned you."

As the Harpie kills Madame and since smendrick had done something to the guy(I can't remember if he knocked him out or what...) the unicorn says: "lets go now. don't look back walk swiftly. sdon't run imortals always know when something is running away from them. it attracts thier attention."

they slowly escape the scene.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll post more of it on monday for any who wish to know my summary of it. Like I said you should Rent it cuz I know it's ten times better than anything I can desribe. plus it's a book. wich is pretty good as well. though I would definately see the movie first.

I love that movie, I have it on tape and your making me want to watch it again :) I also love the song, I think it sung by "Yes"

When the last eagle flies
Over the last crumbling mountain
And the last lion roars
At the last dusty fountain
In the shawdow of the forest
Though she may be old and worn
They will stare unbelieving
At the Last Unicorn

:blpaw:

That movie is so cool!

I haven't seen the whole thing in years, just caught parts recently when a friend had it on video. I first saw it back when i was a kid and that red bull scared me:eek: It was a long time before I got my nerve up to see it again--but when I did, i loved it.

I think your doing a great job Asmiley. :D

I haven't watched it since I was a child, but I loved it then & I still do now! :blah:

Sure wish I could find a copy of it though to have as the one I ws given by my step-sister years ago :rolly2: , was never allowed to be kept by me by ordr of my natural father. :crying: :angryfire :angry: :disgust:
puppy.gif

Originally posted by mich2brian

I love that movie, I have it on tape and your making me want to watch it again. :) I also love the song, I think it sung by "Yes"

When the last eagle flies
Over the last crumbling mountain
And the last lion roars
At the last dusty fountain
In the shawdow of the forest
Though she may be old and worn
They will stare unbelieving
At the Last Unicorn

The soundtrack for The Last Unicorn was done by America. Those are some of the words to the song "Last Unicorn". ;) My favorite song is "That's All I've Got to Say". The soundtrack is for sale at Amazon, but it says its $34.49 and it takes 4 to 5 days to ship. :(

Oh, and I think you're doing a fine job Asmiley. :D

Originally posted by Dragon Goddess

The soundtrack for The Last Unicorn was done by America.
oops :blush: I don't know why I thought it was by Yes

Actually I should rent it agin cuz I know my imagination is blocking the way the movie really goes since I read the book. I found the Book to be quit interesting and I think I understood more of the movie for it but things that happen in the book don't nesasarily take place in the movie and I want to do the movie right.

I sure wish I could see it again, but I can't find it ANY WHERE round where I live :( :(

:blush:

OMG!!!!!I that LOVE that movie SOOOO much!!OMG!I cant find it anywhere to buy though!And the movie channels havent played it for over a year *Sniffle* but when I find it I'm buying it!!!!

And one question...whats with the purple Aliens Asmiley??

I love it 2 meaghan

The purple aliens indicate that Asmiley is a Super Moderator, okay?

:rolly2:

I've not watched for a fair amount of years now :crying: :crying:

I know it is & I can't find it ANY WHERE round where I live 2 buy :crying: :crying: :crying: