Tad Williams

I've read War of the Flowers - This book I felt was one the best I've read by this author. The story evolves around Theo, a singer, who's life suddely takes a down turn. Whilst trying to get over his run of bad luck a fairy appears in this life and takes him into the world of Fae to help fight their war. The story keeps the reader wondering about Theo's role in this war nearly to the end of the book, which was quite compeling. I found the different Fae creatures interesting and quite entertaining at times. There were sections that did get quite detailed, and slow the pace down, but not enough to spoil the overall effect of the story. It has a few surprises, strong characters and interesting plot. :D

Isn't War of the Flowers the book that Tad Williams tried to only have online available, against a certain price of membership, of course? That story was on Shadowmarch.com, but it didn't work out, so he took it down and told his fans, he'd see to it that it became available as a normal book.

Is it that? If yes, I know what I'll offer myself next time I get in a bookshop.:cool:

I don't know where to ask this question, but I hope someone reads it and can direct me the right way. Here I go:
I'm a little anal about starting books in order. I've heard lots of good things about Tad Williams and I would like to read his stuff. What is the very first book he published? Or what book should I start with?

Alia said:
I don't know where to ask this question, but I hope someone reads it and can direct me the right way. Here I go:
I'm a little anal about starting books in order. I've heard lots of good things about Tad Williams and I would like to read his stuff. What is the very first book he published? Or what book should I start with?

Having read almost all of Tad's stuff I'd suggest you start as you say with the first series Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and for me his best. This is the one most similar to Kate's Crown Of Stars series in terms of style as we've discussed previously.

Not sure on the order or titles in the US but basic order is:
The Dragonbone Chair
Stone Of Farewell
To Green Angel Tower (pretty sure this was later split into 2 books).

The next series most similar to this in context and style is the new Shadowmarch Trilogy, although it is set in a different world, people etc..

Book 1 Shadowmarch now available. I've read this and enjoyed it too!

His other major work is Otherland, a mix of sci fi and fantasy in a setting that swtiches b/w our world and cyberspace come virtual reality. I enjoyed this also but different in style or at least content to the above works.

B/w Shadowmarch and Otherland he also published a stand alone novel called War Of The Flowers. Reads bit of this and has had mixed reviews. It's a contemporary novel set in Northern California (so mate you may enjoy it!) and a parallel fantasy world.

He's also written another stand alone novel Tailchaser about a cat in a fantasy setting. Not bad, not as good for me as M,S,T.

Check out the other threads on this forum for info on these series.

Here's a link to Tad's web site with a list of the books and info and excerpts on them FYI:

http://www.tadwilliams.com/books.html

Hope this helps, going to catch some ZZZZZs now.

Bye mate!:)

Thanks Gollum, on a different thread (Tad Williams Bibliographie) Rune actually listed all of his works and the years. A very nice list. I think I will take your suggestion and read the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series first skipping over his Talichasher's Song Novel, which he wrote first. I've heard lots of good things about Tad Williams for a long time now, but I haven't ever read his stuff. I'm kind of a whimp when it comes to reading books by authors that don't come highly recommended. I don't want to waste what little time I have reading bad stories, if you know what I mean. When I get older, retire, kids move on and I have all the time in the world to read, then I will read what ever comes my way. I'll probably be blind by then! lol
Alia

One of the reasons I like book listings for authors information to be posted is because I'm like a lot of people and dont know where to start. Especially if you've just discovered an author only to find they've written a few books :eek:

It's one of those things that happens in fantasy alot, the old series as long as your arm and the first books published in year dot :rolleyes:

Yep,

Sorry Alia and Rune, I posted that reply when I was half asleep.

I realised after I'd shut off the PC and gone to bed that Rune had that Bilbiograhpy thread, darn it all...:mad:

I hope you enjoy M,S,T, it's in my top list of fantasy sereis. The only thnig to note is that it starts off a bit slow but then picks up quite nicely, so be a little patient.

Let us know how you go.

Till next time..:D

Hello everyone...new here. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books on fairies? I just finished war of the flowers, and I'v always had a bit of a soft spot for the lil guys...(gals?)

any author....since i know Tad didn't write anymore... T.T
but geared toward someone who's a bit of the 20-years-old persuasion.

I know im a bit late to join the conversation but I appreciate the help ^^