1.09: The Balance of Terror.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
The Enterprise engages in a deadly game of cat and mouse with a Romulan spaceship.

This episode marks the first appearence of the Romulans. Although 'Earth' is said to have fought a Romulan War prior to the establishment of the Federation, the Romulans have never been seen before. I have no idea what was wrong with their viewscreens, and I also suspect that 'Enterprise' will retrospectively alter this. Not introducing the Romulans before the end of the series will be too hard for them.

One of the few epiosdes to deal straightforwardly with prejudice -- Spock looks suspiciously like a Romulan, you see! Even Spock himself raises his eyebrows in amazement -- or is that because his father is the Captain of the Romulan ship?

Kirk's monologue at the wedding at the start of the episode is re-used as part fo Miles and Keeiko O'Brien's wedding in 'Data's Day' TNG.

The dramatic sequences are inspired by the submarine warfare movies Run Silent, Run Deep and The Enemy Below. The Enterprise is the surface ship, the cloaked Romulan vessel is the 'invisible' submarine, complete with a 'periscope' like device and cramped quarters. When they all play dead in space, they even whisper -- don't they know that "in space no one can here you scream!"

Every time Kirk orders them to fire phasers, they fire photon torpedoes!

At the beginning of the episode they say it would take Starfleet Command 3 weeks to send word. They must chase the Romulans around along time, because at the end Rand comes in and says they have responded.

Balance of Terror

Ah - here it is - the template for future greatness.

It begins with a wedding, then a warning of trouble near the Neutral Zone...

It has Kirk having to pit his wits against the captain of a well-armed enemy vessel...

They use a comet's tail - where the instrument readings won't function properly - to hide their movements...

The Enterprise is badly damaged by sneak attack...

There are plenty of elements in the template here that were later used for Wrath of Khan and Nemesis, and it was great watching them unfold. This is classic Star Trek as I remembered it as a kid, which I always saw as a series about ship-to-ship combat, with a few annoying other episodes thrown in. Maybe it was the first one I ever watched?

What was great was the immediate use of the relationship between Romulans and Vulcans as genetically apparent, with some nice bigotry kicked back on Spock for it.

A great and classic episode overall - go Kirk. :)

Re: Balance of Terror

and then completely disregarded in the Enterprise series when they met the romulans by view screen, before kirk did!

Ah, but there are some changes to the time-line... And reports might have been lost in the various changes to Star Fleet over the centuries...

All the Terra-quads of information from the various Star Fleet vessels, there are bound to be filing problems... And some malicious hacker might wipe out some information at random... :D

Just a thought...

It didn't help with the Borg appearing on earth, either!!!

They should have realised that using a prequel stops you using a lot of popular things from the future..

But I always enjoyed the Andorians... Even though they should have been at least 6' tall!!!

hehe
I've been told by so many enterprise fans (ok, the only two that i know) that that all ties up nicely in the end. meh. buggering up the continutiy is still buggering up the continuity! and anyone with half a brain can see it
(which is probably why they tried it on the trekkies *ducks and runs for cover*)

As an idea, Enterprise was a good idea... The concept was fine... It was the end product that went pear-shaped...

And it might have been nice if the ship was a Dadelus class ship - with the big bulbous front end... Not all this aerodynamic crap in space!!!

it would have been accepted if they had not tried so hard to 'fit in' with other current serries. i mean the changes in special effects and 'progress' (eg the borg in tng as opposed to voyager were so primitive and in the fantastic effects in the movies as opposed to them running from one side of the bridge to the other in tos) were just accepted and appreciated as changes of the times. Also, i just found the goody two shoes enlightened attitude of the crew terribly sickening!

The borg were like those from First Contact - because of the borg going back in time...

I've always found Star Trek, on the whole, to be all goody-goody... Except for people like Mr Soota (Brad Dourf) in Voyager, the homocidal maniac... :D

It is nice to have a few dark characters, out for themselves, or with dirty dark secrets... ;)

Oh come on. kirk was not a goody goody. and lets not even get into the whole sexist question regarding trek. *choughO'hourachough*.

Possibly the problem is that they saw Enterprise as a marketing enterprise for generating profit, rather than an actual set of sff stories to tie into the existing successes.

I'm pretty aware that marketing realities make it an especial concern, but the sad fact was the products were becoming more and more second-rate, and they simply ended up blowing off their main fanbase.

The reason why Balance Of Terror is such a good episode is because it is a straight port of Enemy Below (1957) when a destroyer captain pits his wits against a U-Boat commander. Both are intelligent, honourable men. Watch the film and you'll be left in no doubt about the origins of this fine episode :)

Oooo, I knew I'd seen some similarities...

TV series writers are subject to subliminal information and writing it into the series.. Or just plagerising (sp?)!!! :D

Foxbat said:
The reason why Balance Of Terror is such a good episode is because it is a straight port of Enemy Below (1957) when a destroyer captain pits his wits against a U-Boat commander. Both are intelligent, honourable men. Watch the film and you'll be left in no doubt about the origins of this fine episode :)
that also sounds supicously like the hunt for red october:eek:

Not quite... Enemy Below is a much more atmospheric film, seen from the claustrophbia of the submarine and the fear of the destroyer... If you like WWII movies, this is a good b/w one!!! :D

Hi,
The Enemy Below is a color film.
Gene Roddenberry had to pay a settlement to the owners of the rights to 'The Enemy Below.' He admitted he basically copied the story, wasn't too embarrassed about it, and said he knew people would figure it out. Similiarities:

'Balance' Scene 'Enemy' Scene
Spock: "and one metal-cased object!" Release of oil from bilges
Match target's speed/course R. Mitchum orders same
Enterprise disabled C. Jurgens fires torpedoes, hits.

There were many similiarities, except two important ones. In 'Enemy Below,' the German U-Boat and the American destroyer are both destroyed. Also, all of the Romulans are killed, unlike the movie, in which Curt Jergens and many of his crew are saved...