Did you like him??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have to remember guys, that the Stargate people don't actually take this as seriously as many of the online fans do. To them its just a show which is shortly coming to an end. They don't realise the extent to which many of the fans live, breathe, sleep and eat Stargate.

There is another list I subscribe to where we are regularly treated to 'actor sightings', 'video alerts' and even more scary to my mind....the notion of constantly trawling through the TV and internet for any teensy weensy little part, interview or piece some very minor actor has done prior or since doing a walk on role in Stargate. There are people who will practically sell their grandma to get to a Stargate convention......and there are others who up sticks, lock, stock and barrel and move to Vancouver simply because Stargate is filmed there. There are some on another list who have done just that which seems the height of lunacy to me.

This show arouses and promotes, just by its very existence, a level of unhealthy obsession that absolutely apalls me, to such an extent that recently I took a breather from the Stargate lists completely just to examine my own behaviour to see if I was unhealthily obsessed. I was happy to discover that Stargate didn't rock my universe and that I could live without it quite happily.

The introduction of a new character for many is apparently a disaster of monumental proportions......for the Stargate producers etc, it's just a way of providing some continuation for a show which is rapidly nearing its close anyway.....and for people like me.....it's just another character and not something that would make me declare war on the show.

As for the 'real' SG1.....well, I am rather sure that AT, RDA, CJ might be a little peeved to think that they are nothing without MS.

Incidentally.......I haven't seen him hit the big time yet.... <wicked wink> I thought he was going to be 'The Next Big Thing'!?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :rolleyes: :D

Those are fair comments Anni, but I know that if I worked on a TV show such as this, with such a loyal (until now) following, I would also live and breath it, probably more than the fans did. I would be involved in it every day, and my artistic integrity would never let me produce something that was garbage.

If I did feel that my standards had fallen, I would be seriously worried about how long my job would last. I would probably be more interested in interviews for my next show by now.

It seems to me that they HAVE seen that the end is nigh, and are now just going through the motions. Any criticism that is made is apparently only from these fanatical fans, you speak of, who make assumptions on the basis of spoilers that aren't true.

But I think in this thread, there is actually a very convincing argument why Jonas is throughly unsuitable as a replacement for Daniel, and it is based only on what has actually been aired.

Originally posted by Anni
I think you have to remember guys, that the Stargate people don't actually take this as seriously as many of the online fans do. To them its just a show which is shortly coming to an end.

You're quite right, Anni :)

Finally, I see the error of my ways. I was expecting some degree of professionalism from T.P.T.B. I now realize that I was indulging my optimism much too far... :rolleyes: :dead:

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut - going back to the fan fic. where the standards are higher :wave:
--

Are you serious about people moving to Vancouver simply because Stargate is filmed there Anni? Scary.

I know which Stargate list you're referring to. Yes, those breathless announcements that the background extra in episode 14 has a 30 second role in a Canadian made-for-TV-movie shown at 3:00 a.m., are pretty sad. And don't dare say anything negative about any episode, character, or god forbid, one of the actors.

Anyway, Jonas just doesn't do it for me, the plots are nothing more than recycled X-Files/Movies, and the mystery and wonder are long gone. So no, I don't think I'll watch season 6.

wandering in...

I've been staying back on this one as I have my own *very Deffinate* opinions on the appearance of Jonas Quinn.

But, Pamie... dont' doubt that you started out a good thread here that opened up an arena for people to cuss and discuss a character who's going to have a significant impact on 'Gate's last season.

You done good and people here ave been good about expressing their opinions without resorting to napalm. :D

Row

Well since most of the things they go on about are to do with sightings and stories about going around in search of the locations the show is filmed at or 'actor' spotting and very little to do with the city itself, I have to take the view that Stargate was the reason for them being there.

Vancouver is a lovely city surrounded by incredible scenary, parks, museums, restaurants, nightlife, the harbour, a very nice lifestyle. I can't blame anyone for wanting to move there at all, nice work if you can get it. But I also know that unemployment is quite high and that to move there is quite difficult, because the companies just won't give people who are not Canadians jobs. They have to prove that there is no Canadian to do the job first. So mundane jobs like secretarial, data input, clerking can be filled by Canadians. It the higher occupations, mainly IT and educational that give you an 'in'. So to move there and just waitress or something, you might be able to survive, but if you get caught they could deport you.

At any rate this is off topic. Jonas Quinn is a fact of Stargate now, all I can say to those sailing down that big river in Egypt (De Nile!) you are just either going to have to live with it and give him a chance (everyone deserves a chance) or give up on the show, which means that the show meant very little in the first place.... The characters are not necessarily 'the show' especially in the Sci Fi genre...in that genre the 'concept' is usually the important thing and how everything fits around it. Stargate is now simply a show based around four 'Action figures' and the concept has faded into the background. That is sad and has been sad to witness in my view.

I think good characterization is an important facet in any fiction - S.F. or otherwise. If one has no interest in what happens to the characters, there's not a lot of point in watching/reading.

O.K., I know S.F. originally tended to revolve around 'hard sciences' like physics, and that 'soft sciences' tend to be looked down on, but they are a more significant factor in modern sci-fi.

Much is made of 'inner space', these days. The 'mind whammy', for instance, seems quite a popular concept - in Stargate as well as elsewhere. It would be difficult to make such storylines work for two-dimensional cardboard cut-out characters that are just there for decoration.

If it's solely the concept that's important, might as well just go for the tech. manual, and leave people out altogether.

To be really successful, both concept and characters need to work together in harmony, and as you pointed out, Anni, that just isn't happening any more in the programme, which is very, very sad :(

Happily, though, there are a lot of fan fic. writers out there who can manage to combine the two with a fair degree of mastery.

Hm, as the majority appear to be female, should that be misstery...? ;)

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
--

Anni wrote:

in that genre the 'concept' is usually the important thing and how everything fits around it. Stargate is now simply a show based around four 'Action figures' and the concept has faded into the background. That is sad and has been sad to witness in my view.

Exactly my point. The original concept of exploration has been abandoned, and I have absolutely no interest in watching a second rate version of the X-Files. That, more than anything is why my interest in the show is ebbing fast.

Also, what on earth were TPTB thinking, introducing Jonas that way? Why would you want to associate your fresh new character in any way with the demise of a beloved original character? It would have been a lot smarter to wait until Season 6 to introduce him.

Originally posted by Hatshepsut
Hm, it's not so much a 'replacement' I object to as that replacement. :mad:

Aside from the fact that the character* - whom I recently saw referred to a JonAss :lol: - has been depicted as so irredeemably reprehensible, it is simply not reasonable - not rational - and certainly not believable - that anyone in S.G. -1 would accept him in any way, shape or form.

--

That is a good point but we don't know what the storyline is going to be for the opener of season six or after that for the rest of the season..we don't know how Jack and the rest of them are going to take to Jonus or if they will accept him or not!
I for one will wait and see then make my judgement on the guy ;)

BTW JonAss...very funny!! :rolly2:

The point is that T.P.T.B. have chosen to present Quinn as totally undesirable. They didn't have to; it was a free choice.

Now, they're piously demanding that we play fair and give him a chance to prove himself. :rolleyes: What a cheek!!!

Why should we? If they wanted us to like him, why in Heaven's name didn't they depict him in a more favourable light in the first place? They could have done that - couldn't they?

They'd have made him a whole lot more sympathetic by not introducing him in the same episode in which they killed off Dr. Jackson.

The crassness was terrific - like 'out with the old, in with the new' - 'the quickness of the hand deceives the eye', etc. (Our dimwitted fans will never notice the difference...)

Then T.P.T.B. go all wide-eyed and whimpery when their audience doesn't roll over and ask for its tummy to be tickled but goes for the jugular instead. :rolleyes:

Which, of course, is absolutely no fault of their own - oh no. :dead:

Best wishes,
--

This thread is really starting to make me giggle. You'd think Bin Laden had been announced as the new character!

No offense intended. :eek:

I thought he had!

;)

I guess though, to be fair to everyone, we're al entitled to our opinions, likes and dislikes. And sometimes people just take instant dislikes to folks anyway. I can see a lot of Hat's point. They didn't HAVE to put him in the Daniel demise episode. it was a bit on the crass side. It's almost as though they were deliberately flying in the face of what they know is a rather loyal DJ/MS fan population and saying "Here.... whether you like it or not, Daniel is out of it and this guy is in! Live with it!"

I maintained before, and still maintain, that they could have been a bit more diplomatic about the whole thing.

That's of course if they REALLY care about what the fans think...which is what all of these SG1 fans keep yelling at me.

"Of course they care about the fans, they wouldn't come to conventions if they didn't" Blah blah blah.

Of course I keep saying that the reason most of the actors come to conventions is because they darn well get paid for it....and pretty well too. Who in their right mind is going to turn down an all expenses paid holiday in Australia, Europe or London. Except me of course..... never wanted to go to Australia....been to Europe and I only live 37 miles from London! :D :D :evil:

And god, do I get shouted down for saying it!

At least this thread is doing something other than the usual one liners on various threads like.....

"RDA/Jack is kewl"...... "Daniel/Maj Davis is a hottie." or "Sam's hair is ****."

Not that I think people should discuss things seriously all the time and remarks like above certainly have their place, but it's rather nice when they do!

:eek: :evil: :D ;)

I just saw Meridian - I think they wrote Jonas in pretty well (and like many, I was prepared not to like TNG). But then he fits in to the 4th team member space ideologically - he, like Daniel usually would, did the right thing.

Interesting.

Jonas Quinn...does he fit in???

All in all I think the writers did a good job with the initial introduction and character development of Jonas...Like many others I was prepared not to like him, but I was pleasantly surprised by some of his responses especially those to Colonel O'Neill..

I think he will make a good addition to the team, but there is no replacing Daniel Jackson....he was in a league of his own with personal issues having great impact on his behavior and beliefs...and the writers & Michael Shanks managed to bring these traits into view in almost every episode!

Only time and future scripts will tell if Jonas is a good fit!!

KTGO!!

CH:alienooh: :alienooh: :alienooh:

Originally posted by Texane
But then he fits in to the 4th team member space ideologically - he, like Daniel usually would, did the right thing.

Eh? He's a self-confessed thief - even JM conceded this point. How can he fit in ideologically or any other way?

How can S.G.C. lower their standards by employing said thief (above all the good and gifted humans of our own planet), and hope to retain any credibility?

Yes, he did the right thing in clearing Daniel's name, but that was only as a second thought and after he was effectively bullied into it by Jack.

His first thought was patently selfish in saving his own reputation - didn't give a toss about Dr. Jackson's.

Would Jack really have someone in his team who'd save himself first and let the rest of them go hang? I think not. :rolleyes:

Nope. T.P.T.B. have definitely blown it.

And with X-Files/Poseidon Adventure scripts in the offing, I look forward - if that's the right phrase - to series 6 with serious misgivings. There are better ideas in the world of fan fic.

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave: waving sadly... :(
--

Originally posted by Hatshepsut:

How can S.G.C. lower their standards by employing said thief (above all the good and gifted humans of our own planet), and hope to retain any credibility?

Ah...... but *is* he being actually 'employed' by the US government? I rather get the impression that although he has sort of defected to earth, he actually ends up staying as a diplomatic representative rather than an employee. And as such, they might waive the 'belonging to an SG team' issues in order to use whatever expertise he may have.

I'm not saying this is the case.... I suppose I am playing Devil's Advocate here really and putting out possibilities.

;)

Originally posted by Hatshepsut

If I could play devils advocate, I would say that they would use him precisely for his alternative angle on things, his different viewpoints coming from another society, and possibly even his skills as a thief :)

I realise this has been answered before (the SGC is a military organisation, etc.), and while I tend to agree with you, it's nice to have some people here now who seem to actually like him.

Well, there's no accounting for taste, as they say. ;)

I think the only way the govt. would insist on forcing Quinn on S.G. -1 is if Quinn had smarmed his way around Senator Kinsey, who might have seen in him the perfect opportunity to close the Stargate Project down for good...

:D Oh, come on, fellas, this is the final series - allegedly and unnecessarily. (If the show can manage without its founding father, it can do without Jack as well.)

...T.P.T.B. could just about justify inserting Quinn into S.G. -1 to spy upon them for Kinsey and thieve for the N.I.D., though I'm thinking that on off-world missions (assuming that there might be the odd one or two in series 6) that Jack would park Quinn somewhere where he could do the minimum damage to S.G. -1's reputation then skedaddle with the rest of the team.

Alternatively, if Quinn really wanted to get more involved - which I doubt given his lack of moral fibre - then Jack might send him off to negotiate with Anubis or something equally dark and dangerous... :D

Best wishes,
--

O.k., just for the record . . .

I'm enjoying the . . . heck :erm: out of this thread!

Anni, you always manage to make me laugh and make me think at the same time. Providing logic and good sense pertaining to a (great) series that accepts a bunch of cross dressers with gaudy hand jewelry without batting an eye! ;) One of the reasons I have so enjoyed pulling the chains (ever so lightly) of our members who debate over and over about the length of Sam's hair! :laugh2:

Finally, I see the error of my ways. I was expecting some degree of professionalism from T.P.T.B. I now realize that I was indulging my optimism much too far...
I agree, Hatshepsut. Both with the expectation of professionalism and that we are not going to get much of for the last season that is the prep for a movie that will (they hope) make lots of $$$$. :dead:

And dare I say how much I am enjoying the complaints about how the show seems to have left its primary premise that made it great to begin with? (says the member who started the post, "Back to the Stars").

I must say that, like few others, I like the way Quinn was introduced in "Meridian" much better than I anticipated. Even so, yep, they've certainly gone past cheeky if the (ever so pompous, arrogant, and intensely annoying) writers who haven't been worth a **** during most of season 5 and who should have been fired, believe the (perhaps former) fans will simply follow their (incredibly stupid) intro of Quinn so quickly, with what appears to be little mourning period for a lost character that was so likeable. I really never thought of Quinn as a "self confessed thief," but the dense and ridiculous manner in which the new character is being handled makes it clear the writers don't care about anything but moving toward the movie and the $$$.

I have to tell y'all, when the news re: MS leaving came out, I actually received a pm from another member telling me not to use the word "we" when discussing his departure, the show, the fans outrage, etc., :rolleyes: as we (I guess some may use this special word, but not all of us) should not give the impression that everyone was upset with the turn the show was taking; after all, someone important could be reading our posts . . . TALK ABOUT CHEEK! (and I managed not to send a return pm telling the member to . . . well, you know :angryfire ).

And last (but probably not least :rolly2:), perhaps Quinn and Sam will have a thing, which must end in his death as it has for all but Jack. One can simply hope. :upto:

Y'all keep on posting!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back