Favourite moments in the films?

(Now, with all that said: I've tried to read the books three times and I just couldn't do it. Wanted to. Couldn't.)

It's normal to be saying, 'What the **** is this?' when they're in Tom Bombadil's house. Just keep going - the hobbits are probably thinking the same thing. Also, read the Hobbit first, it's just as good.

My favourite moments all relate to scenes with any of Aragorn, Boromir, Theoden and Denethor. I feel that Tolkien wrote flawed leader/king characters very well and that Jackson interpreted them all very well.

To name a couple, I'd say Aragorn coming across his kin in the shape of the Argonath looked wonderful on film. Also I like Theoden's private reflection at the muster of Rohan 'So it is before the walls of Minas Tirith that the doom of our time will be decided,' he knows he's probably going to his and many of his people's deaths, but also knows the manner of their sacrifice will define who they are.

All of the scenery... both the naturally wondrous beauty of New Zealand and the designed sets displaying the authenticity of each race were thrilling for me. But my favorite moment was Sam's fight against Shelob. He fought against all odds... No one cheered him on... No one helped him... No one would sing songs of it... After all Sam had been through and seen since leaving Hobbiton, all the friends he'd made, all the allies Frodo had gained, all the counsel they'd gotten from Galadriel and Elrond.... was all gone. It was just a man trying to save his friend... Jackson and Co. absolutely nailed it.