When and why did Homburgs go out of fashion?

Discussion in 'History' started by Brian Turner, Apr 21, 2004.

Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Something that has bugged me recently - why did the Hombergs of the 1920's go out of fashion?

Perhaps more to the point: at what point - and why - did men stop wearing hats with their suits?

Or is it still a fashion somewhere in America?
    littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

Not that I know of. Most of the men I see wearing hats (besides baseball caps, which don't count) are much older gentlemen who can remember when wearing hats was still in style.

As to when hats went out of style, I think it was probably sometime in the 1950s. Certainly, I don't remember seeing it done very much in the sixties. As I said, baseball caps don't count, and cowboy hats - which are still very popular in some circles - are a whole other story.

I actually kind of wish that hats for men would come back in style; I think they're neat.
    Brian Turner

I like them, too!
    Esioul

Esioul The weird one

What are homburgs?

I love hats: I have a straw one and a purple velvet one and a red beret and I have loads of bandanas...
    Brian Turner

Think 1920s hats. :)
    Esioul

Esioul The weird one

I just looked them up in goodle- um, my dad has a hat like that- I brought it for him a few years ago!
    erickad71

erickad71 truth shall set you free

I like those also.:)
    Definitely not a fashion I've seen anywhere except in old movies.
    Brian Turner

Let's revive it! I have an original from my grandad on a shelf nearby. :)

Should I start wearing it to business meetings?

Hm...maybe I need to ensure that I have a matching suit first? :)
    zachariah

zachariah Still assailable

By the powers of Necromancy, I command this thread to rise again! LIIIIIVE!

I just found this collection of pictures from old New York and wondered the same question. Are you still there Brian? Are you still wearing your hat?

I too have a weird desire to try and bring back hats. I'm buying a fedora.
    pyan

pyan Fortiter et recte! Staff Member

Umm...Brian is Admin, Owner and the Boss, Zachariah...

Though if he ever started wearing a homburg, that I don't know.:p
    zachariah

zachariah Still assailable

Well, colour me socially inept!

The only real hat I have now is this, passed down to me from my Grandfather. I yearn to wear it, but the weather conditions are never quite right.
    Happy Joe

Happy Joe New Member

Many folks who spend a great deal of time in the outdoors still wear wide brimmed hats here in the western US (think cowboy hats, although I favor a crushable wide brim cloth hat when in the mountains/deserts). Many country folks (and wannabees) also wear hats (Stetson is still in business).
    Locally you can still get a felt hat steamed and styled.
    Yes; hats are still worn by real people; although I haven't seen a homburg in a long time (fedoras were popular into the 1950s).

Enjoy!
    Urien

Urien New Member

Ode to hats... in summer I can be seen occasionally wearing a Panama hat; unfortunately it's often windy in Cumbria hence it'll be replaced by the more secure baseball or Tilley hat. Or up in the mountains warmer thermal hats.
    My dad and grandad being good Yorkshire chaps would frequently wear flat caps; indeed my dad still does on his walk to get the morning paper. I can't bring myself to do that quite yet.
    On the last trip to my parents I looked at old photos of family from the 1930s; the flat caps they were wearing were the size of dustbin lids and looked absurd, like the 'ecky thump episode of the Goodies.

Meanwhile Homburgs died out through an excess of interbreeding. The gene pool narrowed to an unsustainable extent. When the next hat band pandemic struck... 'twas the end for the Homburg and their unique cry... "Waarrrk waarrrk" sometimes you can hear it in the background of silent movies from the 1850s.
    HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

I love hats and I think they should definitely be worn more. I'm quite the fan of the trilby -- I have a couple and through winter I wear them a lot. I'm all for a homburg, or just hat-related, revolution sometime soon. Viva la hats!

Top hat - now there's a hat I want to wear more.
    AE35Unit

AE35Unit ]==[]===O °

I'm like to wear a hat other than a baseball cap,something like Terry Pratchett's trademark hat, but my other half thinks I'd look a t*t.
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

I've got a photo of my grandfather on a building site in the 1940s or possibly early 1950s and he's wearing a brimmed hat, not quite as sharp as a fedora but that kind of feel - and he was just a brickie's mate, not the foreman or anything! But the fashion was obviously on its way out even then - he's the oldest man in the photo and from memory, I don't think any of the other men are wearing hats of any kind. And in none of the photos of my Dad as a young man is he wearing a hat, except when he's in his Royal Marine's uniform.

J
    AE35Unit

AE35Unit ]==[]===O °

Well i just had a dig on the Wiki and it seems they have gone in and out of fashion since the 20s! Gangsters wore them in the Godfather, Procul Harum wrote a song about one in the 60s,even rap artists in the 90s wore them!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homburg_(hat)
    I prefer the Fedora which is less rigid and I think the hat that Indiana Jones wore.
    AE35Unit

AE35Unit ]==[]===O °

Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

I was wearing a Panama only last Wednesday afternoon, eating outside at a café near the beach. My head would've gone rather red without the hat.

I very much doubt that I looked at all fashionable, which seems to be the driver for many (most?) people's clothing decisions these days.
    pyan

pyan Fortiter et recte! Staff Member

I wear a straw Panama in summer when I'm at work, and a Thinsulate hat if it's really cold in winter - but apart from that, I prefer not to wear any hat...