Labyrinth (1986)

Please don’t ignore this important question.

I’ve had it ignored on another forum I think.

My friends and I always sang along with the “dance magic dance" song. And at one point we all thought the goblins shouted “slap that baby and make him pee!” Now when I got the dvd I turned on the subtitles and they said “slap that baby and make him free!” which doesn’t make any sense. Could it be they got the subtitles wrong, or worse it was a form of sensorship? Anybody have a source other than the dvd close captioning?

OK Scott - I'm not ignoring your important question but I'm sorry, I don't know the answer but the next time I watch it (if I have sub titles that is) I will check this out. But don't hold your breath - this could be some time!

Dance magic dance!

I don't know either, sorry.

I love Labarinth. My sister has it on video and I have it on DVD. Best movie ever, with the possible exception of beetlejuice.

thanks for not ignoring me, I'm needy. Unless David Bowie tells me otherwise it goes:

"but that magic spell on me. slap that baby and make him pee!"

they do do it on dvd now.
i saw it in the cinema, i loved when they were at the bog of eternal stench because they let out a weird stinky thing at the same time in the cinema.

movies were more fun in the 80s :)

thanks for not ignoring me, I'm needy. Unless David Bowie tells me otherwise it goes:

"but that magic spell on me. slap that baby and make him pee!"
That's odd. I always thought it was "make him free". I'll have to watch it again with the subtitles.

chopstix said:
Remind me of the babe
What babe?
Babe with the power
What power?
Power of Voodoo
Who do?
You do!
Do what?
Remind me of the babe!
LOL. I love this movie! :D

EDIT: And... socks.

Ah, one of my all-time favourite films!

Has anyone seen the new Manga book series "Jim Henson's return to Labyrinth", I've just bought the first one! Happy sigh!

this is according to the lyrics engine thingy:

What kind of magic spell to use?
Slime and snails
Or puppy dogs' tails
Thunder or lightning
Then baby said
Dance magic, dance (dance magic, dance)
Dance magic, dance (dance magic, dance)
Put that baby spell on me
Jump magic, jump (jump magic, jump)
Jump magic, jump (jump magic, jump)
Put that magic jump on me
Slap that baby, make him free

I saw my baby, trying hard as babe could try
What could I do?
My baby's fun had gone
And left my baby blue
Nobody knew

and definitely socks, there's be an injury risk otherwise! :p

Labyrinth

No idea if this goes here or in my own little section, but anyway... Oh, and there are probably spoilers within.

The premise of Labyrinth (1986, Dir. Jim Henson) is this: Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) is so annoyed by her baby brother than she calls on the goblin king to take him away. The goblin king (David Bowie, not so much slumming it as doing a good job of having fun) takes the child but challenges her to get to his castle within thirteen hours – if she fails, the baby remains the king’s property for evermore.

The castle is surrounded by the labyrinth itself, and here Sarah meets a variety of creatures, made by Jim Henson of Muppets fame, that help and hinder her.

I must confess that I never “got” The Muppet Show. It just seemed a bit shrill, Miss Piggy was dislikeable and the way the puppets always bobbed up and down... Anyway, Labyrinth is full of muppets – well, Jim Henson puppets – but the shrillness has been replaced with a rather sly wit that made me laugh a few times. This may be something to do with Terry Jones’ script, which comes across as intelligent without seeming to know it too much, or perhaps Brian Froud’s creature design, which in turn reminds me of Arthur Rackham’s goblin pictures. The elements come together nicely and produce some good visual jokes, such as a whirling death machine that in actuality is powered by a pedal bike.

Sarah is interesting in herself, like Alice, and not merely an empty figure to represent the viewer. In fact, also like Alice, she’s not terribly likeable at the start of the film. Our sympathy comes more from her efforts to undo a dreadful mistake – up to that point, she seems rather selfish. Unlike Alice, whose prim logic makes her seem like a tiny adult telling Wonderland to stop being silly, Sarah is a sort of overgrown child who flounces and strops rather like Elfine from Cold Comfort Farm.

She also reminds me slightly of Rosalie from The Company of Wolves, an ‘80s fantasy film which is definitely not for children. In particular, a scene in Labyrinth where Sarah’s bedroom is torn apart by monsters is similar to one in The Company of Wolves, which ends the same way but with a far more unsettling subtext. The ballroom scene in Labyrinth reminds me of the scene in Company where a peasant girl curses the nobleman who deserted her, and contains the same implication: being an adult may be enticing, but at the end of the day it involves dangers and distractions of its own. This is always kept tasteful, but there is a suggestion that Sarah is nearly too old for the labyrinth, and that any normal grown-up would not have summoned the goblins in the first place.

At the end of Labyrinth, it seems that Sarah is putting away her toys and will bid goodbye to the creatures who helped her, since they are part of childhood. Rather pleasingly they all appear in her room and have a party instead, implying that they do not need to be discarded for her to grow up.

You could argue forever about whether Labyrinth lacks originality or whether it borrows wisely from Carroll, M.C. Escher, L. Frank Baum and several others. Personally I think the borrowing strengthens the story. In truth it should have been a little shorter, and like most films about a journey it does meander from set-piece to set-piece. And of course there are songs – 80’s pop songs, some by Bowie. Ultimately I am not sure who would want to see it these days except out of nostalgia (going by Youtube comments there is clearly a lot of affection for the film, not least for Bowie’s tight trousers).

As to whether you will like this film, the answer probably depends on whether you want to like it. It is visually ingenious but like many 80’s fantasy films – Excalibur, say – it will look ropey if you expect it to. That isn’t to excuse its faults but to acknowledge them. Overall I would say it was pretty good for its time and genre, and now, although dated and flawed, it holds up quite well.

Interesting fact: In a running joke, the goblin king mistakenly refers to the dwarf Hoggle as Hogwart. “Hogwarts” is of course the name of a Roman play performed by nigel molesworth in the 1950’s school comedy Back in the Jug Agane.

Re: Labyrinth

Miss Piggy was dislikeable
NO! How could you say such a thing about my heroine and role model?? Miss Piggy is Marvellous! She is Magnificent! She is All Pork! That that! *executes Miss Piggy karate chop*

I'm going to disagree with you, also, over Elfine. She flounces, certainly, but never strops in a stroppy teenagery way, does she? I remember her just flitting about in a moony, must be free as a liddle whatever-it-was kind of way.

It's been ages since I saw it, but I have fond memories of the film -- and not because of Bowie's tight trousers, I hasten to add. I also recall a sexual awakening aspect to it -- towards the end doesn't she dance with Bowie in a beautiful frock (she's in the frock, not him) and he's enticing her to stay? -- but that could just be my overactive Miss Piggy imagination.

And the brother, am I right in remembering that part of the antagonism isn't simply that he's a pain in the *ahem* but also the wicked step-mother's child?

Good thread, though. It's made me think I'd like to see it again. Must see if I can get hold of it.

NB There is a very old thread about it, but it isn't exactly... er... informative... http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/17930-labyrinth-1986-a.html

I don't know what stropping is, but I'm sure Elfine never did it. After all the Starkadders were not like other people. They might mollock (or was that just Seth?) but stropping sounds altogether too worldly.

In Sarah's defense, she didn't believe that goblins really existed when she asked them to take her baby brother away. She was horrified by the result of her careless words. Toby was no longer the stepmother's child, but Sarah's little brother.

I, too, have fond memories of the movie, but some of them are more recent since I saw it when it first came out, but also two or three times since.

I loved the ball scene, the costumes and the masks, all of it so beautiful ... and sinister at the same time. It perfectly reflected my own teenage fantasies, although, alas, I was not a teenager when I saw it, and could only imagine how I would have felt if I had seen it then.

More often seen as the adjective "stroppy", Teresa -- Dictionary - Definition of stroppy

I'm pretty sure only Seth did the mollocking. Well, the hired girl, too, of course.

I thought the emotional impact of taking the brother was very realistic. Who hasn't wished for goblins or the equivalent to take away a particularly annoying younger sibling? (OK, that probably is just me.) And then the realisation what it actually means, so very different from what one imagines.

Then I am sure she didn't do it. She danced in the woods with the windflowers and the birds. How could a girl like that be stroppy? Of course she may have been a little morose and sullen like all her family.

But to return to Sarah, yes, it is amazing how siblings can suddenly be intensely loyal when outsiders enter the picture. Although whether Jareth can strictly be called an outsider when (spoiler) he seems to represent her innermost desires is questionable.

Seth did also do the scranniting up at Ticklepenny Corner, which I believe Flora could not. However I was more comparing Elfine and Sarah's flouncing rather than their alleged stropping, which is really a more irked version of sulking. One has to be careful with the terminology, dotcha know.

There definitely is something going on re Sarah's attitude to Jareth: he seems to represent a more sexual element in the daydream or something like that. He's actually not very threatening - not half as scary as his ball guests, who really only need a ghostly butler and Jack Nicholson to complete the sinister party vibe. Again Jareth reminds me of the huntsman in Company of Wolves. Being a chap I don't really get the psychology of it all, but Sarah does seem to be attracted to him, or at least his glamour. Although I thought she was too eccentric to be true on first viewing, Sarah did actually remind me of a real person I once knew, so perhaps she isn't quite so strange after all.

But what I like most is the magical quality of the film, its ability to completely engross you if you're willing to let it, if only to see new and entertaining things. I find about 1 fantasy novel in 10 has this quality, perhaps even less of late.

(While we are on this topic I should probably own up to fancying pretty much every maiden and princess in film at some stage of my life. When I was 8 or so, Sarah would have seemed pretty great. Of course now I am a grown up and Eorwyg from LOTR is tops. Except for Guinevere from Excalibur.)

I always felt Labyrinth's greatest strength was the quality of Henson's production, ie, the performance of his Muppets (being created, at that time, by the organization Henson either referred to or would refer to as his Creature Shop). Henson's ability to create a world around imaginary or actual characters is legendary, and Labyrinth (as well as Dark Crystal) were beautiful examples of his shop's skills.

Of course, there was also Jennifer Connolly, whom I remember at the time seeing her and thinking, "Cute girl... she'll grow up to be a heartbreaker." And then, seeing her for the first time, years later, in The Rocketeer, and thinking: "Jeezus Chrrrrrist!" :rolleyes:

Of course, I am also a Muppets fan from way back. Even if you didn't like one character or another (and let's face it, not every character is designed to be adorable), you always had to admire the artistry of Henson, Frank Oz and the rest. There are moments from The Muppet Show that I still regard as magical.

I remember this being touted as the follow up to the Dark Crystal (which i loved), but could never see the connection apart from Jim Henson's creature workshop. Was there ever actually any link? (Just curious.)

I remember this being touted as the follow up to the Dark Crystal (which i loved), but could never see the connection apart from Jim Henson's creature workshop. Was there ever actually any link? (Just curious.)

No story or character link... just an extension of the efforts of the Creature Shop to craft better environments for movie-making. The Creature Shop was angling for more movie and TV opportunities, and to find more avenues beyond the Muppets, and each move was a step in that direction.

I just recently read the first volume of the manga sequel to the movie called "Return to the Labyrinth". It was really good! Better than I expected, even. It was remarkably faithful to the tone of the movie, with some really fun dialogue and lots of Easter eggs to Labyrinth and other Jim Henson movies. The plot centers around Toby, who's a teenager now, who's lured back to the Labyrinth by Jareth for some secret purpose. It's a pretty standard plot so far, a little predictable, but the joy is in the journey. David Bowie's Goblin King translates really well to an androgynous manga figure, ha ha. Toby's a little bit bland as a protagonist in my opinion, but he's relatable enough, and the other, new characters really felt like they could have come from the original movie. Not to spoil too much, but some more familiar faces soon show up as well. The art does a great job of blending traditional manga style with the look and feel of the Labyrinth and its creatures.

So, overall, highly recommended if you're a fan of the movie!