Discussion in 'Announcements' started by tonic, Apr 17, 2004.

tonic

tonic New Member

Wow the site will have almost 1000 members soon. That's quite an achievement, only 58 more to go! LOL and im happy im one of the 942. Well it can't be long until the big event, a 1000 is a big number especially memberwise. I mean there's always lurkers but that's a lot of members especially if they all post :)
    How long has this site been up to anyways?

Oh and Congratz to Brian cause I guess it was you who created the site in the first place!

Meet you guys back here when the mark is hit.

K back to my bordem once again ;)
    mac1

mac1 New Member

Come on guests... Why not sign up, make up the numbers. ;)

To my knowledge the site has been up and running in its (more or less) current form since November 2002.

Brian, was there a Chronicles of Empire forum before that? I vaguely remember when I very first joined it said something on your homepage about this being a new forum because you had problems with the previous one, or am I going mad!?!

TBH, Brian's the one to tell you the history here. ;)

He's done a great job of it over the years.

*raises glass*

Cheers.

:D
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

It was originally the "chronicles of empire forum", a support board for my writing, and started around June 2002 on MSN. It had around 14 members and maybe 50 posts over 3 months. :)

I then deleted that and moved it to YaBB SP 1.1 in September 2002 because I didn't want the restrictions of MSN.

It reached around 150 members by Novemeber 2002, especially after I offered some of the soundtrack CD for chronicles of empire on CD - and then the entire forum crashed very badly on the server.

I watched it happen, and was quick enough to be able to save all the member details (but few posts), and rebuild from scratch on a YaBB SE.

Things went slowly in the "chronicles of empire forum", with basically 4 active members: myself, Bigmacscanlan, Survivor, and Nemesis - until end of March 2003, when the server was badly hacked and I wasn't able to make a backup less than 2 weeks old - right in the middle of a promotion, too (I started the first of two free DVD giveaways - which is how we snared dwndrgn here. :D ).

I figured on widening the forums remit to a general science fiction and fantasy site and rebirthed the place as the "chronicles-network". Also hosted all my sites on separate servers after that. :)

We reached around 3000 posts around August, and it was around that time that I made those members who were the frequent posters over a significant period into Moderators.

Board activity took off from there, and this place was converted to a vBulletin 3 beta in September 2003.

Everything has completely picked up since then. :)

1000 members will be a landmark indeed. Probably reach that total in about 4-5 weeks, so see you back then. :D
    Esioul

Esioul The weird one

Heheh I'll get my friends who like writing to sign up if I can.
    nemogbr

nemogbr Worlds Walker

Interesting history about this site and it's antecedent sites.

Keep up the good work..

BANZAI!!!!
    tonic

tonic New Member

Oh that';s really cool and it looks like all of that hardwork you put into the site paid off. Well since I posted about 8 hours ago there has been one new member but that was during the night so hopefully people will keep on coming! :)
    Brian Turner

3 days on and now only 50 members left to get. :)
    Brian Turner

tonic

tonic New Member

Wow Five New Members In a Matter of Hours....35 left!!!!
    Hypes

Hypes Emperor!

Fourteen!
    Brian Turner

Ahdkaw

Ahdkaw Bopper

Fair chomping through the member numbers now... I suspect that some members have been creating extra accounts for themselves... I've always had a suspicious mind, trust no-one! :p :D
    Hypes

Hypes Emperor!

::looks very sheepish at that accusation
    Last edited: May 10, 2004
    Brian Turner

There would be no need to create new accounts - such activity would serve little purpose. We can achieve our goals quick readily and naturally without additional "help". :)
    tonic

tonic New Member

Esioul

Esioul The weird one

Hmmmmmm. Who else are you, Andreas?
    Hypes

Hypes Emperor!

I pull the night watch as God. So the old fellow can go get himself some shut-eye every once in a while.
    Esioul

Esioul The weird one

But you never do get any, as far as I can tell.
    Hypes

Hypes Emperor!

There's that...
    Esioul

Esioul The weird one

Only one more person to go for a 1000.

But nor do I, except just now for an hour, which has made me feel all weird and cold.