Herbert, Frank: The Dune Series - which has been the best?

Rate This Episode

• 5 Stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 Stars

• 3 Stars

• 2 Stars

• 1 Star

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ewlyn

Proud Ringer & HCNB
The Dune Series - which has been the best?

In your opinion, which has been the best book in the series and why. (I'm including the books by Brian Herbert here as I feel they are valid.)

Personally, I still like the original the most... but this is mainly because, for me, it's the most mysterious and it was the beginning of the adventure.

I agree that Dune was the one that started the adventure and got me hooked. However, since I am an honorary Bene Gesserit, I love that we got the center stage in Heretics and Chapterhouse. I am looking for a virtual BG Keep or Mother House to join -- maybe I'll get ambitious and start one myself.

Originally posted by nejordan
I agree that Dune was the one that started the adventure and got me hooked. However, since I am an honorary Bene Gesserit, I love that we got the center stage in Heretics and Chapterhouse. I am looking for a virtual BG Keep or Mother House to join -- maybe I'll get ambitious and start one myself.

That is really cool! Are there virtual ones out there? I suppose there must be.

well i liked the original the best, after it i wasnt so enthralled with the series as i had been, although i really did like the 3 books by his son, and now 4

if a mod sees this u can add another book to the list now, THe Butlerian Jihad;)

:rolly2:

Well, I made the original poll, but it won't allow me to edit it, so I hope someone else who can does. :)

I haven't read the new book yet, but my husband just finished it, so I plan to soon. He really liked it.

Woo-hoo! Dune universe expansion = good

lol, well its really good, i promise u that, is great to hear about the origines of the dune universe, Brian does a very good job:p , there are also some suprises that may throw ul;):rolly2:

LOL You know, you just said what my husband said almost to the letter. Interesting... I can't wait to read it!

wow thats weird, well yeah just go read it and then come back and i would love to hear what u thought, are we right:p:rolly2:

I've only read Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune, but I'm in love with the series and the characters involved. I do think that Dune is my favourite though. I have heard from others who have read the whole series that it degrades after Children of Dune, and I'm almost afraid to read any further, because that would make me sad. What do you all think of the remaining books?

Oops I must have missed this thread! I'll add in the extra book once I am done with this post - but I din't see anyone voting for it.

The first book is by far and away my favourite, although I think that the next two (Messiah and Children of Dune) should be read as one book, and come pretty close to matching the first. I also loved God Emperor and the Duncan Idaho ghola device, which is revived for the last books too.

But without a doubt the first one is the best, I can re-read it again and again without getting bored, and I love the depth of the mythology and science that went into constructing the Dune universe. Fantastic!

yeah i agree with u Tab, the original is the best have read it countless times:p:rolly2:

I like House Harkonnen the best. I'm not sure why... cause I constantly read all of the books, but when i saw the poll i just instinctively chose House Harkonnen. probably cause of all the angst or something... but i do know that that book follows me where-ever i go and makes for good reading when i'm bored :)

in fact, the entire series does.

im really liking the Butlerian Jihad now, it still doesnt stack up against the original but its just as good as all the others:):rolly2:

It was a difficult decision but is I have to choose one probably will be Dune Messiah. That is why I vote for it. But I have to admit that so far I haven't been dissapointed reading any of the books. All of them shows interesting new points of all the characters. Right now I'm reading House Harkonnen and love it. I think the transition from Frank's books to Bryan and Kevin was made pretty well. I totally love House Atreides. It was so cool to know the story of most of the characters Duncan's beginning, Duke Leto's story, Jessica and all the thing with the Baron, Liet's story. Is totally fascinating. :D

Cyan, I recommend you to continue reading the books. I really don't think the books degraded so much. Every book have their kind of special thing that make you want to continue reading to know how the saga is going to progress.

Krystal :p

I actually haven't read any of the books, but i liked the mini'series children of dune more than dune the movie. so thas how i voted.

Haven't read them all

I have to agree with a little of what everyone said. The original 'Dune' is the best, and they do tail off somewhat, but each one that I've read does introduce something new.

I too, like the Bene Gesserit getting centre stage in 'ChapterHouse' which is probably my second favourite. The Fremen and the other mythology are interesting, but I found the Bene Gesserit most interesting of all.

'GodEmperor' was good too. I haven't read the books after 'ChapterHouse' and as I last read them about 20 years ago, I guess I need to start over again first! ;)

I really enjoyed the Bene Gesserit too. It is weird to think just how mysterious they are in the first book, and that they end up taking centre stage by the end.

I think on the recommendations above I am going to give the newer books a go, I might see if I can pick them up second hand or something.

You know what, I always see the Bene Gesserit as witches to continue with Dune's themes. :lol: I only see Jessica as the good witch and she was kind of a renegade because she do what she want.
So for me it was really an awakening when I read Chapterhouse, it show me a new light into their story and background.

Krystal :p

well there is a new addition the the dune world again, and although i have only just started getting into it, the new book "the machine crusade" is proggresing well:D :rolly2:

The original dune was the best IMO.

That is where the story began and you learn about the charaters and the place they take in this series.

To me originals are always the best everything else is a added bonus.

Stryker

Status
Not open for further replies.