would you risk yourself?

eismith

I watched stargate yesterday and it got me thinking.

Is one person life worth risking the rest of the group for.If you were leading an SG-1 mission would you go after the person?

Let me know what you think and how you would and wouldn't go for and why?

if you don't mind eismith, let's flesh this out a bit...let's say you're the leader of a 4 person sg team...you're under fire from nasty natives and running for the gate...just as you reach the dhd and dial out...one member of your team about 20 yards away is hit and goes down...what do you do?

i don't think i can answer that, i mean i would LIKE to try... but you can only see what happens. i did something a while back that makes me think maybe i would, but if i am honest, i don't know. i hope i would

Well, Spock would say that "The lives of the many are worth more than the lives of the few, or the one"

and yet, that which makes us human is our ability to place the life of the one, above the life of the many (some call it love)...

but would i do it?... honestly, i'd like to say no...if going back for that person endangered others... would i risk only myself?... i hope so, but if i must sacrifice one to save many, i would hope i could leave that person behind...
does that make me less human?... i dont know..

I think we would all like to say that we wouldn't risk many for the few......but I don't think you can really answer a question like that until you are in that situation.

I think it also depends on a lot of things.......

....but I think human nature makes us help people even when its a helpless situation.

Carkedit :dead:

I don' t know if this help.........but what about, who would you save.your parent or your child...your mate or your child............your siblings or your mate?

good point coffee...what if it was your child that fell, or your sig other...what do you do?:wave:

I think i would go back... if your in charge of a team of people you would do whatever you could to keep your people alive... its like the CAptain of a ship... you are the last to leave or you go down with it..

I really don't know to what point this is about doing what is right or wrong, because in such a situation like you've presented here, I don't think there's much time to think about such questions.

I think it has more to do with the person you are and the rules by which you normaly live your life, and most of all, if have the confidence in your self and the courage to actually do something, but those are things that, like someone else already said, you'll never know until you're facing the situation.

So, what you'd I do?
Have no idea... probably something foolish!

:rolly2: Natty

(spell checker wasn't working, so.. any major misspellings, please ignore :blush: )

here here Natty... you right,, but you would not be in command of a team if you had not already proved yourself competent to lead... especially if you in the Army / Navy / RAF etc...

Yes, you're right, but then again the few militars that I've known so far are over confident in themselfs, so I guess the foolish part would aply and from there on, you'll just have to trust in luck, and see if it would turn good or bad!

:smiliea:
(this smilies are SOOOOO cool!)
Natty

That's a hard one. I guess it would depend on the situation. I wouldn't sacrifice the rest of the group for one, but if the scenario played out like skydiver suggested, if I could get the rest of the team throught the Stargate, I'd like to think I'd go back for the one that was down. I don't think I could live with myself otherwise.

Thanks i thinl me as a person wouldn't make it to be in command> Do you think you could make it to command?

i suppsoe its not the same but i am in charge of over 60 staff and 100 children in a school .. so i have to make decisions each day

I am so bad at making decisions if I have to think about them...you know...what to eat, what to wear....I'm **** at making decisions..lolol

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
:rolly2: .... sorry, couldn't resist! ... Or could I?!:D

LOL Kelsi.... What you like.....

I reckon that when it comes to it people will make the decision quicker than they think...

If I don't think about what I am going to do...it usually turns out to be the correct decision....

What you doin in Jack's quarters... rooting around his sock draw i bet...